Cultivated Reef

Raindog's 7g Waterbox (Revived!!!)

Raindog3030

Raindog3030
On 5/19/2018 at 9:48 AM, Smackers4 said:

Nice! How do you like the water box so far? 

Once I got passed the stock pump, absolutely loving it!  Very high quality glass work and seems.  It is unreal how much clarity this container has compared to my plain-jane Aqueon 20 gallon, the Starfire glass is for real!  I would also add that their (Waterbox) customer support is fantastic!

On 5/18/2018 at 11:19 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Bam Bam is super cute!  Very nice looking tank, too.

On 5/19/2018 at 12:04 AM, Tamberav said:

Tank looks great! I love mantis shrimps 😍

Thank you all so much!  We love him too 😉

• 3 weeks later...
Raindog3030

Hm...most everyone is doing well, even the RI paly that Bam Bam punched out!  Everyone except for our lepto...not sure what his deal is?

Sitting in low flow and low light area, maybe he will come back?

Oh well...also have a Nano Flipper on the way, the tiny Mag Float was not up to snuff (it does a good job, just not as good as other sizes).

Also, I'm not willing to put my hand in with a razor blade, even if I could fit!

Those Clove polyps are spreading quickly...almost too quickly!

Here's a little FTS after the water change Sunday (Or was it Monday?)

20180602_130738.jpg

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
Raindog3030

I suppose it is time to update this thread as well!

Bambam thrives, fairly certain he just finished a shed.  Hadn't seen him for about a week or so, then he popped up to say 'hi' the other day!

I love this little reef, it seems to thrive despite my complete lack of maintenance...funny how that works, huh?

The frog spawn has a couple baby heads growing (which is odd, I figured they split heads like the other euphyllia?)

Zoas are spreading slowly but surely, and just yesterday I pulled a plug with Pandora morphs on it from the 20 gallon and threw them in.  Bloody things had grown off the plug in force after only a month! (By force, I mean there are over a dozen polyps grown onto my rock work!)

I figured my little "pest" tank would be a perfect place for them 😉

fkrC1YtJ1QpB-nIWoqpOby0LRwFYcgm8bcaWxm-hHdn0bBIN7y-mh2zoipPmZfhD2yrcEz1Ww49w3e-ZtHI_uoieUSH0p8be1ecoLMJd5wC4a86OGehrHpBOahLe5OlAzKceZjY9yd9NL0ZNPgxPXZtIk_Silp0CLv_Du7ppvdbiOqfi7tiOSAv2genOenOyyg9lRUtUj-ErxC8LXu3xVRGVhf4YSoyygqs39F8jwzYK3w9a6qUzjaAIYmW_qhRGeRsKi0ggzNGTESebF-gFcudOYLX1OzO5BJqPMpkhtjGxs6UyXIx1XutFp0KeM7nWDL_KnjRh125IURhmWXlClEYs6dubUfmP4xyCtnvlUt9I7cmroPuedWzLwnVw5OEOS2-oJ3Vf0T-PcsPAYWhhZigiCnRo-WsjhYRG3RRLYJXKqrBIIMfcH1_YIf1So_tKIsD9rGBS3eYWxlariGIElxSoDn1wa5fmvV0I6PDJwwRnv-1Dq1GJYYJ9P9Gz55iepY_4aBMunL1QPmGHaXG3ArtFQWuw4Lv-1Vd2TZMinBI1EG7yC2XyTT4fjlrJRYErUt2zvyfxZp10EFQs4c7ZOpuIQpdlixBZOQW1oI8=w493-h1014-no

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hahaha, I wanted to update this thread and realized I didn't take a fresh photo after I finally scraped the glass in this thing...can you tell it is my "pest" or "junk" tank?  Lol

Everything is doing well, I moved some Pandora zoas from my 20 gallon in, and we got some Mohawks to go with them as well.

Bam Bam is doing well, just as clicky and sassy as ever!

So, how bad do you let your glass get?  The nano flipper was no match for this growth, I had to go full razor blade!

20180828_164414.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
8 minutes ago, Raindog3030 said:

Hahaha, I wanted to update this thread and realized I didn't take a fresh photo after I finally scraped the glass in this thing...can you tell it is my "pest" or "junk" tank?  Lol

Everything is doing well, I moved some Pandora zoas from my 20 gallon in, and we got some Mohawks to go with them as well.

Bam Bam is doing well, just as clicky and sassy as ever!

So, how bad do you let your glass get?  The nano flipper was no match for this growth, I had to go full razor blade!

20180828_164414.jpg

My big tank was pretty bad recently. ........ had to go full razor on it also.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

My big tank was pretty bad recently. ........ had to go full razor on it also.  

At least you can put your hands in the tank without fear of punchy death...lol...I bought myself a fancy extend-o-scraper 😉

• Haha 1

Question - how is the flow with just the Cobalt pump? I have the same tank, gathering supplies to set up and was trying to get away with just the pump in the chamber. i did some searching online and looked at splitting the output and trying to disperse the flow that way. in doing so, do you think the tank would have enough flow to support Zoas and other softies? Thanks in Advance!

Hm, it couldn't hurt to try.  You can always add a power head later, and at ~$20 it's not a terribly expensive addition.  I will say that if I was going to to go back, I would get the more powerful Cobalt (Mini MJ-606) that is the same size, that may be capable of creating enough flow without the power head.  Good luck and let me know how it turns out!

• 4 months later...

Oh wow, I'm super behind on an update here as well...

Bambam is still thriving!  Which is good, because when he isn't, this tank is getting torn down for a reset!

Aiptasia has almost completely overtaken this system...I am fairly certain that our lovely mantis shrimp likes to agitate the little buggers, causing them to spread like a filthy cancer.

All that being said, the frogspawn seems to do well, the lepto is still encrusting, and most importantly, our little puncher is still punching!

Guess I ended up with a serious pest tank after wall :3

20190105_151756.jpg

20190105_151806.jpg

20190105_151823.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 months later...
Raindog3030
On 3/27/2019 at 8:02 AM, BlackdogHills said:

How do you like the Cobalt pump? Quiet?

Yes, actually it is extremely quiet!  The only thing I hear from this system is the silly cheap-o mechanical timer for my lights.

*Edit: I will add, this system sits on my nightstand, and in the dead of night...I hear the icekap gyre from another system over anything else...lol

• 2 months later...

Just checking in to see if their was any new activity. I’ve been on the hunt for an AIO, glass, with 90* corners under 10 gallons and wanted this tank, but read they were discontinued. 

Any complaints with Waterbox? I might be able to find a used one online, but I wasn’t sure if their was a reason these were discontinued. 

Hey @Raindog3030 - I'm looking to upgrade my Waterbox 7G stock pump to Cobalt MJ Mini. 

I see you have the 404 model. What's the diameter of the nozzle? Any mods to that in order to get it correctly fitted into the return nozzle?

Thanks!

Raindog3030
On 6/1/2019 at 9:20 PM, TatorTaco said:

Just checking in to see if their was any new activity. I’ve been on the hunt for an AIO, glass, with 90* corners under 10 gallons and wanted this tank, but read they were discontinued. 

Any complaints with Waterbox? I might be able to find a used one online, but I wasn’t sure if their was a reason these were discontinued. 

My only real complaint is the rear chamber size made it difficult to upgrade the pump, but I have had it running for a little over a year now (I think?) and it is a great little system!

On 6/2/2019 at 4:51 PM, Krish87 said:

Hey @Raindog3030 - I'm looking to upgrade my Waterbox 7G stock pump to Cobalt MJ Mini. 

I see you have the 404 model. What's the diameter of the nozzle? Any mods to that in order to get it correctly fitted into the return nozzle?

Thanks!

Yeah, I believe I did modify it a bit, I'll take a look later and post up some pics and measurements.

• Thanks 2
On 6/4/2019 at 5:46 AM, Raindog3030 said:

My only real complaint is the rear chamber size made it difficult to upgrade the pump, but I have had it running for a little over a year now (I think?) and it is a great little system!

Yeah, I believe I did modify it a bit, I'll take a look later and post up some pics and measurements.

Thanks @Raindog3030 - appreciate it! Looking forward to the measurements / pics.

OK, with renewed hope for a brighter future, and a superior return pump...we have done the unthinkable and revived this little system!

Check the top of the OP for the meat and potatoes, this is just the photo gallery and lists:

Things that survived the apocalypse:

(1) Astrea snail (fended off Bambam for over a year, he/she is a survivor!)

(4) Nassarius Snails

Frag of Eagle Eyes Zoas (my first frag from over a year ago, can't believe it survived!)

Sm Colony of Pandoras/Mohawks (Don't remember which, they've morphed anyway :P)

Itty bitty Limpets

Unidentified coral-type invertebrate (see last photo with green polyp)

Things that have been introduced since the cleaning:

(3) Trochus snails

(7) Blue Leg hermits

(2) Emerald crabs

Frag of Salted Agave Zoas (from 20g)

Frag of WWC Purple/Green Yumas (from 20g, 2 small adults and 3 little baby buds!)

Equipment:

Removed Cobalt Mini MJ-404

Replaced with Cobalt Mini MJ-606 (monstrous improvement!!!)

Sorry if these are a little (lotta) blue...I'm running the Kessil at almost no color to discourage algae growth, and it looks prettier!  I guess I ought to have a camera filter in my future...

20190826_121515.thumb.jpg.12e05c6491eb1d30f9b98750d4a58370.jpg20190826_121511.thumb.jpg.9c12c6e4d5da622c8b90f22cd17ac132.jpg20190826_121503.thumb.jpg.f8d07f01b82a923167dca653a64a8a2d.jpg20190826_121453.thumb.jpg.1b3e2f103bbf94348c1282711ca23fff.jpg20190822_193021.thumb.jpg.f8585213326db707278dc49dfec1e2af.jpg20190822_192956.thumb.jpg.7605a5598ce83f5ec5d13975c1e26fb6.jpg

• Like 2
On 6/1/2019 at 9:20 PM, TatorTaco said:

Sorry for the delayed reply, I had been reluctant to update with work being so busy...its also hard to motivate yourself to update a journal with a failing system :/

In any case, my only complaint is the rear chamber size of these smaller cubes.  I'd stay away from the 10g, unless they've re-engineered it to allow for a larger pump.

And as far as my 7-gallon, I'd buy it again and put this little Cobalt Mini MJ-606 in it.  I ran the Mini MJ-404 for over a year, and it just barely did the job.  The 606 proves, or at least I think it'll prove, that this container can be an excellent system!

On 6/5/2019 at 10:21 AM, Krish87 said:

Thanks @Raindog3030 - appreciate it! Looking forward to the measurements / pics.

I'm just the worst!  I neglected to take photos while I was removing this pump last weekend...however, I did note that I do have a "coupler" type fitting of a larger diameter piece of tubing between the pump outlet and the tubing for the spout.  You could probably just use an overall slightly larger piece of tubing and then clamp it down tight at the spout though...hope that helps?  Assuming you were still wondering!