SaltCritters.com

Raindog's 7g Waterbox (Revived!!!)

Raindog3030

Raindog3030

Raindog's 7g Waterbox AIO!!!

LATEST UPDATE (8/27/2019): OK, OK, OK, I know I said this thing was getting dumped out, but there was a turn of events that made us decide otherwise!  We went to empty this thing out last weekend and as I started picking at the OBSCENE amount of bubble algae, I noticed something was missing...aiptasia!  I don't know how we missed it, other than neglecting this system so bad you couldn't see through the glass (whoops :P) but I failed to notice that at least one of the 2 Berghia egg clutches not only survived...but thrived!  They not only cleared the aiptasia from the display, but from the rear chamber as well.  Having now realized the glorious achievements of these industrious little slugs...it was clear to me there was only one true coarse of action...revival!  So, instead of dumping it out, we scrubbed and picked and scraped as much junk as we could out of this little cube.  I then took the larger (more volume, same footprint) Cobalt Mini MJ-606 pump I had saved from my wife's 10g and installed it (this is a huge difference!  water actually MOVES through the rear chambers now, amazing!).  With everything scrubbed, we performed a 100% water change.  Now, we are just over 1 week into the revival...a couple corals survived and we have bolstered the CUC (couldn't really have one cohabiting with Mr. Bambam).  If you're feeling froggy, read on a little further where I've added some fresh photos 😉

(7/8/2019): Unfortunately, Bam Bam has passed on.  We believe it was simply old age (he was full grown when we rescued him from the LFS just over a year ago).  I have been maintaining the system since we discovered his passing, but it honestly looks like it is time to dump this system out.  Since there was no way to keep any kind of clean-up crew, this system had become more than overrun with bubble algae and aiptasia.  I'll be dumping her out this coming weekend and setting the rock to an RO bath to attempt to remove all the pest algae and anemones.  We may or may not refill it and try again in the future, but that decision has yet to be made.  Thank you everyone who tagged along on this rather excellent, although short, venture into aquaria!

The current plan is to get through the cycle and probably stock with a RBTA in the coming months and a pair of Porcelain Anemone crabs to host in it.

Strike that, found a Gonodactylus smithii!

And Lord knows there will be some zoas too!

Part List:

Waterbox 7g AIO w/ ECO66 pump (included) Sicce MiMouse Pump (provided by Waterbox) Cobalt Mini-MJ 404 pump
Hydor Koralia Nano 240

Cobalt Neo-Therm 25w
Kessil A80 w/ Gooseneck
Mini Smart Plug (my $10 lighting controller, with wifi!) Mechanical Timer (also $10, and apparently smarter...since it actually works!)

~10 lbs Haitian Live Rock
10+ lbs of Nature's Ocean No.0 Live Sand
Tropic Marin Salt

*Original Post:

So...this happened!

I got to see these in person at RAP, and I got sold!

The absolute quality and attention to detail for the cost is mind blowing!

I guess I can get past the logo being etched into the front panel ;)

Anyone else have one of these that has any suggestions/tips?

Feel free to follow!  Hoping to order the light soon :3

Receipt.png

*EDIT: I got a call from Saltwateraquarium.com, there is/was an issue with the 4g.  So, they are upgrading me to a 7g gallon for free...shipped out for a Friday delivery!!!  I was really looking forward to the tiny 4g, but 7g is still pretty small and should work out for my desk :D

• Like 2
Raindog3030

The anticipation is so real!  And I still have to order the light and wait for the new office to be ready for move in...watch me set this up at home instead...no patience!!!

Tracking.png

• Haha 1
Raindog3030

So, this happened over the weekend...as expected, she holds water!

Assuming my sand shows up today...she will be filled with the proper liquid salty goodness!

Felt kinda funny filling my backpack with live rock on Saturday...lol...I got that rock yo, that live rock!

20180414_144536.jpg

20180414_164003.jpg

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Raindog3030 said:

So, this happened over the weekend...as expected, she holds water!

Assuming my sand shows up today...she will be filled with the proper liquid salty goodness!

Felt kinda funny filling my backpack with live rock on Saturday...lol...I got that rock yo, that live rock!

20180414_144536.jpg

20180414_164003.jpg

That’s a nice stash! :D 

“Hey kids, need any live rock?” 

• Like 1
Raindog3030
Just now, HarryPotter said:

Is their logo actually engraved into the glass? A permanent advertisement? 

Yeah, it is laser etched into the panel, just like Aquamaxx.  It's something I wrestled with, but after seeing these in person, 5 sides of Starfire glass for $65 is pretty awesome, I guess I can look at a logo!  Even the AIO panel is smoked Starfire and the overflow grate is laser cut from that glass.  The baffles in the rear chamber are glass, there is no acrylic in this thing at all.  I'll have to get some better photos of the baffles in the AIO chamber.

20180414_144513.jpg

• Like 2
Raindog3030
6 minutes ago, AvaS said:

I saw this at RAP too and they look really nice! Can’t wait to see how this build progresses!! What light are you planning on using? 

-Ava 

I have a Kessil A80 w/ gooseneck arriving sometime next week!  We've had such great success with the A360we's on our other reef, and the price is right!

I really wanted to try one of those tasty looking Nanobox lights on this build, but I can't justify the cost difference right now.

HarryPotter
12 minutes ago, Raindog3030 said:

Yeah, it is laser etched into the panel, just like Aquamaxx.  It's something I wrestled with, but after seeing these in person, 5 sides of Starfire glass for $65 is pretty awesome, I guess I can look at a logo!  Even the AIO panel is smoked Starfire and the overflow grate is laser cut from that glass.  The baffles in the rear chamber are glass, there is no acrylic in this thing at all.  I'll have to get some better photos of the baffles in the AIO chamber.

20180414_144513.jpg

Thats super  cheap- definitely worth it.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Raindog3030 said:

I have a Kessil A80 w/ gooseneck arriving sometime next week!  We've had such great success with the A360we's on our other reef, and the price is right!

I really wanted to try one of those tasty looking Nanobox lights on this build, but I can't justify the cost difference right now.

Got ya! Can’t wait to see this tank all set up!! 

• Like 1
Raindog3030

Oh yeah, it is salty!  All the silt seems to have settled by the time I woke up this AM, this afternoon I'll be removing the filter sponge and dropping in a ChemiPure Blue packet.

I filled the back chambers with as many MarinePure spheres as I could fit, almost a whole two quart box!

20180416_185407.jpg

20180417_072623.jpg

• Like 3
Raindog3030

Have I mentioned what an irresponsible reefer I am?  No?  Well I rescued this crazy little fellow from an LFS!

I present to you, Gonodactylus Smithii, but we call him Bambam ;)

20180424_161433.jpg

20180429_121129.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
WV Reefer
7 minutes ago, Raindog3030 said:

Have I mentioned what an irresponsible reefer I am?  No?  Well I rescued this crazy little fellow from an LFS!

20180424_161433.jpg

20180429_121129.jpg

Bam Bam is awesome!

• Thanks 1
Raindog3030
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

Bam Bam is awesome!

Thanks!  My wife and I have both been enjoying his antics!  He has been eating small blue leg hermits, small astrea snails, and the daily frozen krill or two...he is so voracious!

• Like 1
WV Reefer
3 minutes ago, Raindog3030 said:

Thanks!  My wife and I have both been enjoying his antics!  He has been eating small blue leg hermits, small astrea snails, and the daily frozen krill or two...he is so voracious!

I didn't realize he was so tiny! .....thats even cuter! :D  

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
58 minutes ago, Raindog3030 said:

20180424_161433.jpg

20180429_121129.jpg

omgomgomg 

This is so cool! Was this an unexpected adoption situation or were you looking? 😄

Raindog3030
2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

omgomgomg 

This is so cool! Was this an unexpected adoption situation or were you looking? 😄

I was just stopping by a LFS I hadn't been to before while I was in Orlando for work.  After surveying the store, I found this guy in a plastic cup and asked for a price...the guy laughed and asked if I really wanted to buy that!  I said of course I do!  So I got him for only $10 :haha:

20180424_144823.jpg

• Like 5
Raindog3030
3 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I didn't realize he was so tiny! .....thats even cuter! :D  

His species has a max size of only 90mm according to what I have read, so he may only grow another 1/2 inch at best!

• Like 2
WV Reefer
11 minutes ago, Raindog3030 said:

His species has a max size of only 90mm according to what I have read, so he may only grow another 1/2 inch at best!

That’s so cool. 😊

• Like 1

Love the tank! What a great find with BamBam. Since he will stay so small, will you be able to keep any fish in there with him?

• Thanks 1
Raindog3030
1 hour ago, el_ote said:

Love the tank! What a great find with BamBam. Since he will stay so small, will you be able to keep any fish in there with him?

That may be an option, but I am not certain if I will.  I never intended to really put any fish in this setup from the beginning, but maybe I'll see a cool damsel or something one day and take a chance!

Raindog3030

Haven't taken any good pics yet, but we added some clove polyps, frogspawn, and a piece of lepto to the reef.