Innovative Marine Aquariums

Soon to be new dad question?

ChristopherDido

ChristopherDido
8 hours ago, MSunkin23 said:

My 2yr old son tossed a french fry with ketchup at the tank today. He was attempting to feed the clownfish I believe, so innocent to some extent. I said to myself, man am I glad I have a top on the tank.

I couldn't imagine any other way. 

On the plus side sounds like I will have years ahead of me scratching my head and asking WTH then laughing hysterically later. Lol

2 hours ago, ChristopherDido said:

On the plus side sounds like I will have years ahead of me scratching my head and asking WTH then laughing hysterically later. Lol

You certainly will. Thanks to my kids I saw all sorts of things I could never have imagined. "Don't eat the trash peaches" was one of my favorites (and not as gross as some)

Finding an empty jar of flake food and realizing that your son fed your fish half of a container is also fun.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, ChristopherDido said:

I am definitely going to need to build a stand if I am going to use those.  As nice as the JBJ stand is, I am concerned that it will not be stable enough in the long run, seems a bit flimsy if hit or pressed on much at all. 

@Ranjib is that a JBJ you have on a dresser?  I like that setup with two tanks BTW.  Thinking I may need to do something like that for long term, I do have a 10 gallon that I think would make a great Invert and macro tank to fill in the space on a dresser.

@MSunkin23 I love the IM tanks too!  I have one in my classroom and it has a hanging pendant on it, I am still really thinking on upgrading the lighting on the NanoCube seriously looking at a retrofit.  Really wish I had seen the BioCube before buying the NanoCube, the lid seems so much lighter and sleeker, but I was a newb when I started my tank and was seriously in over my head and spent way to much on my tank lol.  Whoops.

I'll get used to figuring it all out I'm sure... I am a little concerned about the learning curve of being a dad and really hope I don't overlook things like that, it's good that you and your wife figured it out and worked it out!

@Ian44I was wondering the same thing, ultimately though I went with the thinking of @JBM I wouldn't even be able to tell you which ones have toxin and which don't.  Hopefully this thread will help out many other soon to be dad's or newly minted dad's questioning their sanity at 3am lol :P

What are you fine folks thoughts on lowering the tank down to the ground so that our little will be able to look at it easier as they begin to move around?  Either way I am going to have to build a stand that will be more "sturdy" and could be bolted to the wall, I got a little bit of time think all this one over.

Nah, I have a Fluval Spec 3, an Imagitarium 3.7 G and a BioCube 29

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
ChristopherDido

Well thought I'd share, little over three months to go, time to start getting the nursery together, this is my weekend 🙂

IMG_20180504_140241.thumb.jpg.7ed43bec275e102c9ec98c538f07e66b.jpg

IMG_20180505_145348.thumb.jpg.6e0ec7edf9bfc09cc037e59e2e07f883.jpg

• Like 3

I keep mytank in the basement, which is a kid-free zone.

I keep no fish anymore, but lots of stiny coral.

I've had to do almost nothing to sustain the system since about 4-5 years ago when we first got pregnant.

I'm glad I didn't have to worry about my daughter getting mixed up with the tank...she just enjoys looking at it occasionally with me. ;)

The upside of all that down time is that I have a heavy duty excuse for upgrading here soon now! And the tank can go anywhere I want it.  :D

If my tank was <2 years old when I started this I think I would have shut it down and restarted later.

I have a 3 year old. She helps with water changes and puts snails back in the tank (have to lift her up since she's too short.) Has a small pico planted tank in her room since December. Doesnt stare at the lights.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
MainelyReefer

Thought I would update that another little reefer entered the world today, @ChristopherDido your due date was right next to mine your baby should be here soon!  Guess my water change isn't happening this weekend!

IMG_4040.thumb.JPG.0224aaed18a528ae0b77b193f5100095.JPG

• Like 7
ChristopherDido
18 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Thought I would update that another little reefer entered the world today, @ChristopherDido your due date was right next to mine your baby should be here soon!  Guess my water change isn't happening this weekend!IMG_4040.thumb.JPG.0224aaed18a528ae0b77b193f5100095.JPG

Welcome to the world little one! We're under 3 weeks from due date... Glad I got my water change done yesterday! Enjoy your new reefer! Hope mom is recovering well!

7 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

Thought I would update that another little reefer entered the world today, @ChristopherDido your due date was right next to mine your baby should be here soon!  Guess my water change isn't happening this weekend!IMG_4040.thumb.JPG.0224aaed18a528ae0b77b193f5100095.JPG

Congratulations!

• Like 1

Congrats! 

Our baby is due tomorrow....I have plenty of buckets of pre-mixed water ready to go for when I'm too tired or distracted to mix more 😂

• Like 2
ChristopherDido
On 8/4/2018 at 9:48 PM, Jono said:

Congrats! 

Our baby is due tomorrow....I have plenty of buckets of pre-mixed water ready to go for when I'm too tired or distracted to mix more 😂

Congrats

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/1/2018 at 8:37 AM, ChristopherDido said:

@GraniteReefer our little reefer entered the world on Wednesday at 4:17am. Hope that your doing well and your little one is bringing you lots of joy.

I may still be able to get that water change in 🙂

Congrats!! Hope you were able to squeeze in that water change. I've done maybe three water changes since my little guy was born...eight months ago 🤣

• Like 1
ChristopherDido
16 minutes ago, lake985 said:

Congrats!! Hope you were able to squeeze in that water change. I've done maybe three water changes since my little guy was born...eight months ago 🤣

Nope, been non stop diaper changes, trying to sleep/eat, or getting him to do the same, in between family coming and going non-stop 🤣

Gonna try for one this weekend once my family leaves and we can start getting our new routines together with little one.

4 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

This is one of my favorite topics, I'm glad to see it bumped! Congratulations @ChristopherDido and @GraniteReefer!

Thanks @Christopher Marks! I'm grateful for the advice that's been given here and throughout this community!

1 minute ago, Kellie in CA said:

Congrats! What a sweet little one!   

Enjoy every minute, everybody says it... but it goes by so fast!!!

Trying to remember that! Thanks!