A Little Blue

LITTLE BLUE - MixReef 30L

On 1/12/2019 at 8:14 PM, A Little Blue said:

Trash. Not at resort’ private beach but literally few yards from it (supposedly one of the top ***** resorts on the island). But that’s not the worst of it...... Wife and her girlfriend took a swim in what they though was a river ( ofcause both wasted). It wasn’t 🤫🤢

They swapped our leaking top floor rooms for VIP rooms so all is good at this point, but we really should have gone to Costarica or lagoons of Mexico. 

My buddy couldn’t keep up and is out cold. So drinkn solo watching wife’s regretful face.🥴

Well that's what they get for going to DR and swimming in a river lol.  Could have gone to Mississippi to do that 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, specore said:

Well that's what they get for going to DR and swimming in a river lol.  Could have gone to Mississppi to do that 🙂

Wifey is fine but her friend spent two days in bed with some sort of nasty skin rush outbreak and fever. 

As a side note: why only people from 300lbs+ club join the pool aerobics??🙄

Wish I could say that I am enjoying the scenery....

56758ED4-884D-4BBA-B798-10664F8E7B52.thumb.jpeg.f995580dedf8819e170f129a6ca37941.jpeg

I am not sure how to interpret a slight rise in PH? Is it safe to assume that DKH might be slightly on the rise?

When I left for vaca my DKH was low in mid-upper 6DKH range. I’ve intentionally let the doser add slightly more in order to rise it up over several days. Any thoughts? 

13C1012C-BB3B-4DD1-89BC-B2838C869FEF.jpeg.1754c3ddb74370a7fa8bca7620b25887.jpeg

4 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Wifey is fine but her friend spent two days in bed with some sort of nasty skin rush outbreak and fever. 

As a side note: why only people from 300lbs+ club join the pool aerobics??🙄

Wish I could say that I am enjoying the scenery....

56758ED4-884D-4BBA-B798-10664F8E7B52.thumb.jpeg.f995580dedf8819e170f129a6ca37941.jpeg

I am not sure how to interpret a slight rise in PH? Is it safe to assume that DKH might be slightly on the rise?

When I left for vaca my DKH was low in mid-upper 6DKH range. I’ve intentionally let the doser add slightly more in order to rise it up over several days. Any thoughts? 

13C1012C-BB3B-4DD1-89BC-B2838C869FEF.jpeg.1754c3ddb74370a7fa8bca7620b25887.jpeg

That's probably it.  Could Co2 levels be lower with you and the wife out of the house?  

And I've made a mental note that swimming in "rivers" in borderline third world countries is not a good idea.  

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, specore said:

That's probably it.  Could Co2 levels be lower with you and the wife out of the house?  

And I've made a mental note that swimming in "rivers" in borderline third world countries is not a good idea.  

That’s a good point. I didn’t even take that into consideration. And to be absolutely transparent, I have never cared for or owned PH meter before. It just wasn’t a gauge that I would concider crucial to successful reef-keeping. Even now, I couldn’t care much about it, however. It seems like it might give you some indication of things that are happening in your tank. I just don’t known how to decode those messages. 

Don't really know how much DKH changes might affect PH. But I do believe there is some correlation between the two. Even when I was adjusting the new doser, volume of the fluids, time of dosing, etc, PH probe seemed to pick those changes up. Am I getting ADHD over it or is there something to it? 

Didn't need it in the past, now, I can’t stop looking at it and analyze it. 🤣

As to third world countries and its virgin, natural beauty....... way overrated. 

If it wasn’t for that “evil colonialism”, they would still use sticks to start the fire. 

41 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

That’s a good point. I didn’t even take that into consideration. And to be absolutely transparent, I have never cared for or owned PH meter before. It just wasn’t a gauge that I would concider crucial to successful reef-keeping. Even now, I couldn’t care much about it, however. It seems like it might give you some indication of things that are happening in your tank. I just don’t known how to decode those messages. 

Don't really know how much DKH changes might affect PH. But I do believe there is some correlation between the two. Even when I was adjusting the new doser, volume of the fluids, time of dosing, etc, PH probe seemed to pick those changes up. Am I getting ADHD over it or is there something to it? 

Didn't need it in the past, now, I can’t stop looking at it and analyze it. 🤣

As to third world countries and its virgin, natural beauty....... way overrated. 

If it wasn’t for that “evil colonialism”, they would still use sticks to start the fire. 

Well the solution itself is higher in pH, so even if there's not a direct correlation between alk there certainly is between calcium carbonate solution and pH.  My pH seems constantly to ebbing and flowing without reason, so wouldn't worry about it.  Not if it suddenly spikes then something is definitely off.  Really is more useful for people running a calcium reactor with CO2. 

***suppose pH would be helpful in identifying an issue with your lights not coming on or not going off

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, specore said:

Well the solution itself is higher in pH, so even if there's not a direct correlation between alk there certainly is between calcium carbonate solution and pH.  My pH seems constantly to ebbing and flowing without reason, so wouldn't worry about it.  Not if it suddenly spikes then something is definitely off.  Really is more useful for people running a calcium reactor with CO2. 

***suppose pH would be helpful in identifying an issue with your lights not coming on or not going off

37 minutes ago, specore said:

Got it. PH in this tank varies between 7.9-8.2 (avarage at 8.05) which doesn’t bother me at all. In all fairness, It seems like a descent number. 

As you have pointed out the light cycle is certainly a (huge) factor and it makes sense to use PH as a gauge to spot lighting issues. 

With that in mind and after getting a storm of anecdotal experiences from various sources, I did investigate potential benefits of dosing during lights out hrs. And I have to say, that after various combinations of dosing time and dosage amount, I concluded that it might help to certain degree (including running skimmer/fuge exclusively at night) but there is no way  to compensate for that PH drop. So yeah, it seems pointless to chase those “optimal” numbers. 

Thanks for your insight. Any info from a trusted source is valuable. And I take yours as such. 👍

1 minute ago, A Little Blue said:

Got it. PH in this tank varies between 7.9-8.2 (avarage at 8.05) which doesn’t bother me at all. In all fairness, It seems like a descent number. 

As you have pointed out the light cycle is certainly a (huge) factor and it makes sense to use PH as a gauge to spot lighting issues. 

With that in mind and after getting a storm of anecdotal experiences from various sources, I did investigate potential benefits of dosing during lights out hrs. And I have to say, that after various combinations of dosing time and dosage amount, I concluded that it might help to certain degree (including running skimmer/fuge exclusively at night) but there is no way  to compensate for that PH drop. So yeah, it seems pointless to chase those “optimal” numbers. 

Thanks for your insight. Any info from a trusted source is valuable. And I take yours as such. 👍

Yep.  I threw in the towel and just dose every hour of every day.  Reverse lighting my fuge, night dosing, etc, still get the same pH drop as I would without those things.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, specore said:

Yep.  I threw in the towel and just dose every hour of every day.  Reverse lighting my fuge, night dosing, etc, still get the same pH drop as I would without those things.  

Pretty much my experience but still, some claim significant results by using above mentioned techniques. And that says a lot about sources ppl get their information from. So lesson for new hobbyists, don’t believe everything you hear/read and filter your sources based on acctual results and data. 

• Like 1

Back from vaca!

Not a good start.

Got a $200 speeding ticket on the way home from JFK airport.🙄

Then, speculating on the condition of both tanks, possible casualties, water parameters, ATO reservoir getting sucked dry etc. 

Walked in the door and not getting this very familiar odor of crashed tank. 

So far so good. 

Next, water is at normal level, no bubbles (means ATO wasn’t entirely depleted) and there is some movement in the tank. (So, not everything is death. It felt as if I dodged the bullet)

Relief! And for the first time I can comely take a closer look at water chemistry, check equipment and livestock. 

Forgot already about that $200 ticket!

Little Reef survived!!!!💪🍺

• Like 5

Glad to see these little guys survive. GSP is getting out of control. Nearly doubled in size since I got it several months ago. (Frag tank)

2C9EF525-86AB-4A14-93E5-24A935D76DDC.thumb.jpeg.511f16272065f1efe0cd2560f341ed99.jpeg

A7ABD506-B875-483F-B7C8-6F0CE92B9E18.thumb.jpeg.c7bc885e0c3302fd6de28ff73c0bf4e3.jpeg

476CDA1B-729E-47BF-ACC1-AC6D2170E22C.thumb.jpeg.8787cad7868086466fd1192ecdc5179c.jpeg

New frag. Not sure but it looks like Miyagi tort. Also got some Rasta zoas but they’re super pissed after dipping and frag plug peroxide treatment. 

B9F7B0BB-44F8-4568-8424-46A9309BA646.thumb.jpeg.99bb6ec69775ce6ecb075ba7bfa2126b.jpeg

FE1575D8-22AE-4ADE-9DC1-B34A6388ABF5.thumb.jpeg.c4b84ab1ee040ba7153e86841c085261.jpeg

Moved my green staghorn and now I can see this guy more often. It fell behind stag and I have never bothered to retrieve it. No clue what is the name of it.... freebie from one of online vendors. 

A7D2004E-846D-4F51-A835-F50B09E738B6.thumb.jpeg.15b9d3a13c445ae23a2b09280725c787.jpeg

And lastly, I am looking for water storage solution for my auto WC attempt. Something between 15-30gal (X2) with wide opening and safe. Found these tanks for $80each but they are killing on shipping cost. 

7483DA8F-76DC-4240-9209-D828FABE2558.thumb.jpeg.2e042af24df71f29cfe09b077eac541e.jpeg

Will update soon. I have some really nice growth and bunch of things I keep forgetting to mention. Lol 

• Like 4

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions