ReefCleaners.org

LITTLE BLUE| IM30L (picking up pieces after the crush)

A Little Blue

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, A Little Blue said:

Sorry about your lawnmower. That fish has a lot of personality but it needs to eat and eat like a pig. So it doesn’t eat dry nori or other alternatives? 

There is a bunch of fish that you could have in that 75. Cichlids were in my first two 55s. Oscars (they end up in my LFS as they couldn’t turn in that 55 lol) and Africans in the other tank. That was like 25 years ago. 🤫

I just talked to my wife, the garlic didn't work. She said he took food, but just spits it out. I put the nori in there and everything else goes and eats, crabs, snails and the clown, blenny won't touch it. He spits all the food out. I've given him the algae cubes that have algae and Mysis, tried the Mysis cubes too. Ugh, I don't have any flakes because my dog at the whole container.... It's weird cause I watch him pick at the rocks and glass, I see all the mouth marks from him, but he's just getting thinner and thinner.

Sorry, don't wanna clog your journal with my fish mess lol. I did read that some lawnmower blenny's are tough to get to eat and some are just straight pigs. I've had him since November and he's been doing really good, or so I thought. I waited for almost a year to get one to make sure the tank had enough algae for him to graze on too, which makes this even worse.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
17 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Ya hopefully...they basically brushed everyone off it sounds like so far. This is the issue I am waiting to get resolved but this pump is def on the wish list.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/problems-with-new-nero-5-pumps.531980/

wow, I didn't think they were having that many issues. I thought about getting one, but went with the aqamai instead. I love that little pump.

• Like 2
A Little Blue
Just now, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

wow, I didn't think they were having that many issues. I thought about getting one, but went with the aqamai instead. I love that little pump.

I have them both. And like them both. 

All I can say is, if your glass is 0.5” think, be cautious. For thinner glass, you shouldn’t have an issue. At least from my experience. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
16 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I just talked to my wife, the garlic didn't work. She said he took food, but just spits it out. I put the nori in there and everything else goes and eats, crabs, snails and the clown, blenny won't touch it. He spits all the food out. I've given him the algae cubes that have algae and Mysis, tried the Mysis cubes too. Ugh, I don't have any flakes because my dog at the whole container.... It's weird cause I watch him pick at the rocks and glass, I see all the mouth marks from him, but he's just getting thinner and thinner.

Sorry, don't wanna clog your journal with my fish mess lol. I did read that some lawnmower blenny's are tough to get to eat and some are just straight pigs. I've had him since November and he's been doing really good, or so I thought. I waited for almost a year to get one to make sure the tank had enough algae for him to graze on too, which makes this even worse.

Your dog is a weirdo for one. Lol

And it seems like he does have a taste for fresh algae from your observation but for some reason pre-made isn’t doing it for him. Not sure how would I try to approach this pickle...... Do you have a good (trusted and accommodating) LFS near you? 

BTW this thread is open for all and any issue. One day, someone might find it useful (including myself). 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, A Little Blue said:

You dog is a weirdo for one. Lol

And it seems like he does have a taste for fresh algae from your observation but for some reason pre-made isn’t doing it for him. Not sure how would I try to approach this pickle...... Do you have a good (trusted and accommodating) LFS near you? 

:lol: She is a weirdo...she's eaten more fish food than my fish I think.

I've been dealing with the issue for a good month, I'm almost ready to throw lettuce in there. I do have a store that I go to all the time and I'm actually going tomorrow night to see what other foods they have for me to try. I figured he'd be fat and happy with my algae outbreak, but he doesn't touch the hair algae, eats around it lol. I have one last thing I'm going to try when I get out of this hell hole they call work. I'm gonna soak a piece of nori in the garlic guard and rubber band it to a small piece of rock. I'm wondering if he just doesn't like it clipped to suction cup clip I use. Fingers crossed I can get him to eat before he starves to death. It's horrible to watch and know that I'm trying everything I can.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

:lol: She is a weirdo...she's eaten more fish food than my fish I think.

I've been dealing with the issue for a good month, I'm almost ready to throw lettuce in there. I do have a store that I go to all the time and I'm actually going tomorrow night to see what other foods they have for me to try. I figured he'd be fat and happy with my algae outbreak, but he doesn't touch the hair algae, eats around it lol. I have one last thing I'm going to try when I get out of this hell hole they call work. I'm gonna soak a piece of nori in the garlic guard and rubber band it to a small piece of rock. I'm wondering if he just doesn't like it clipped to suction cup clip I use. Fingers crossed I can get him to eat before he starves to death. It's horrible to watch and know that I'm trying everything I can.

Interesting idea. I think I’ve heard someone trying exactly that. 

If your LFS is cool, perhaps ask if you could bring your Blenny over to test his appetite. If he eats at your LFS, I would try to do what’s best for him and leave him there. And maybe ask LFS for credit or replacement. He might have some internal parasite which is impossible to spot. Eventho it might be curable, I’m not sure if you want to deal with that or have adequate setup for that kind of treatment....

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
8 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I think I’ve heard someone trying exactly that.

Yeah I have been researching at work today and found a post about someone trying that and it worked. They said he was grazing on the rock and then went and started to eat the nori and then started eating like a pig. Only twist is I'm soaking it garlic guard first. I don't like leaving nori in the tank because I heard it can pollute the water pretty quick.

edit: I'm gonna talk to the guys at the lfs and see if they have any tricks. I can't bring him there because he's the one I bought from divers den.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
12 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Yeah I have been researching at work today and found a post about someone trying that and it worked. They said he was grazing on the rock and then went and started to eat the nori and then started eating like a pig. Only twist is I'm soaking it garlic guard first. I don't like leaving nori in the tank because I heard it can pollute the water pretty quick.

edit: I'm gonna talk to the guys at the lfs and see if they have any tricks. I can't bring him there because he's the one I bought from divers den.

It’s worth a shot. Let me know how it goes and what your LFS guy says about it. 

Eating fish is a happy fish. 

Yeah, any uneaten food in your tank leads to issues sooner or later so leaving nori for extended periods of time could backfire. Keep me posted and I hope he gets better soon. 👊🏻

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

It’s worth a shot. Let me know how it goes and what your LFS guy says about it. 

Eating fish is a happy fish. 

Yeah, any uneaten food in your tank leads to issues sooner or later so leaving nori for extended periods of time could backfire. Keep me posted and I hope he gets better soon. 👊🏻

Will do man, thanks for chatting... made work go buy quicker lol

• Like 1
A Little Blue

Will do man, thanks for chatting... made work go buy quicker lol

Whatever I can do to make your work more efficient. Lol 🤣😉

• Haha 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, A Little Blue said:

Whatever I can do to make your work more efficient. Lol 🤣😉

Oh I'm efficient lol.. watching demolition ranch and talking to you.

27 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

My pictus blenny would not eat prepared for months and go pretty skinny. Garlic + Nori and LRS + garlic & selcon did the trick and finally got him eating. Now he is a huge pig and tries to eat pieces of food bigger than his head. I don't use the garlic anymore because there is some evidence it is not healthy long term for fish but I think maybe the smell or something gets them interested. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
5 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

My pictus blenny would not eat prepared for months and go pretty skinny. Garlic + Nori and LRS + garlic & selcon did the trick and finally got him eating. Now he is a huge pig and tries to eat pieces of food bigger than his head. I don't use the garlic anymore because there is some evidence it is not healthy long term for fish but I think maybe the smell or something gets them interested. 

oh wow, thanks. My lfs has LRS food now I think, I'll find out tomorrow night, just hope my little guy doesn't parish between now and tomorrow. I'm hoping the garlic nori will work tonight.

Thanks for the help Tamberav and Little blue :smilie:

• Like 1
A Little Blue
9 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

There you go. There’s hope. 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

I just wanted to let you know that the lrs food worked!! I got it friday night and he was kinda like no, not eating that. I fed him a little saturday and he ate a small piece, but still wasn't having it. He ate a little more sunday and tonight I got home and I have fed two very small amounts and he wolfed it up. I think he may end up being ok :happydance:

Thank you guys for the help with it.

On 3/14/2019 at 7:13 PM, Tamberav said:

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I just wanted to let you know that the lrs food worked!! I got it friday night and he was kinda like no, not eating that. I fed him a little saturday and he ate a small piece, but still wasn't having it. He ate a little more sunday and tonight I got home and I have fed two very small amounts and he wolfed it up. I think he may end up being ok :happydance:

Awesome! Fish are weird...my anthia hates LRS but most fish seem to really like it. It what got my leopard wrasses eating too. I would do small frequent meals and get him fattened up! 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
5 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

That’s great. Getting him to eat Is a major win. Congratulations. 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Awesome! Fish are weird...my anthia hates LRS but most fish seem to really like it. It what got my leopard wrasses eating too. I would do small frequent meals and get him fattened up! 

Yeah they are. My clown eats everything that goes in; hand included lol.

4 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

That’s great. Getting him to eat Is a major win. Congratulations. 

Yeah I was getting really worried. I have never had an animal that i couldn't get to eat. I just needed some ideas so thank you both again. A few people I have left to say thanks to lol 🙂

• Like 2
A Little Blue

Yeah they are. My clown eats everything that goes in; hand included lol.

Yeah I was getting really worried. I have never had an animal that i couldn't get to eat. I just needed some ideas so thank you both again. A few people I have left to say thanks to lol 🙂

No need. I was shooting from the hip. And there are better people out there that are more experience on this issue. 

But I’m glad you were able to force some food down his throat. Stubborn little sh!t. 👍

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
A Little Blue

March 25

Melanurus appeared to have some sort of bruised up marks near his tail fin.  Probably had a little freak out at night while trying to wedge himself between rocks and shaved off/scraped off part of his top coat/skin. 

March 27

cotton ball like growth appeared on bruised area of his tail. Active, eating, no signs of other health issues. 

March 29

cotton ball infection gone. 

He seems to be fine and fully recovered. 

Hair algae is 99% gone. Few hairs left look like Santa’ beard. Not like I was stressed about it or anything just making a note here for reference.

Added some chaetomorpha instead of seagrape macro. Will see how that goes. 

Everything else is doing just fine. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
A Little Blue

Just a test of Sigma lens that arrived the other day. Seems like OK all around lens. 

4D088C64-F32F-4F43-93B7-3B42F3537674.thumb.jpeg.da470ef102f44445afc31e9cc6b31547.jpeg

Video captured with the same lens. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
21 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Just a test of Sigma lens that arrived the other day. Seems like OK all around lens. 

4D088C64-F32F-4F43-93B7-3B42F3537674.thumb.jpeg.da470ef102f44445afc31e9cc6b31547.jpeg

Things look great. 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
22 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

amazing as always sir. Looks so good. My wife wanted to know what kinda camera you use?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
A Little Blue
14 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Things look great. 😃

Things are on auto pilot..... till another detour. Lol

14 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

amazing as always sir. Looks so good. My wife wanted to know what kinda camera you use?

Thank you. It's an entery leve Canon EOS Rebel SL2. No point to spend fortune on body while technology changes every few years or so. Investing in quality lenses that will serve you for decades makes more sense to me. 

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Things are on auto pilot..... till another detour. Lol

Thank you. It's an entery leve Canon EOS Rebel SL2. No point to spend fortune on body while technology changes every few years or so. Investing in quality lenses that will serve you for decades makes more sense to me. 

Hey it takes amazing photos and videos so I wouldn't change anything. I should start messing with my wifes Nikon d3300. I have messed with it taking some red eye tree frog pics. Never tried taking pics of the fish tank though.

• Like 2