Cultivated Reef

LITTLE BLUE| IM30L (picking up pieces after the crush)

A Little Blue

Nice work on the video, and the pictures are fantastic as always. The tank looks fantastic with the shimmer from the Kessil.

I have the same problem in my 40g tank - there are spots where I constantly break chunks off the frags when I reach in to scrape algae or move things around. I've learned to just accept it as forced fragging. I glue the broken pieces onto a frag plug, and if they live, great, if not, I'm no worse off than I was to begin with. 

And in the long run, the colonies actually seem to get thicker and stronger after losing frags.

• Thanks 1
A Little Blue
11 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Nice work on the video, and the pictures are fantastic as always. The tank looks fantastic with the shimmer from the Kessil.

I have the same problem in my 40g tank - there are spots where I constantly break chunks off the frags when I reach in to scrape algae or move things around. I've learned to just accept it as forced fragging. I glue the broken pieces onto a frag plug, and if they live, great, if not, I'm no worse off than I was to begin with. 

And in the long run, the colonies actually seem to get thicker and stronger after losing frags.

Thanks but I don’t think that I am on your skill level of photography. I admit, I lurk around your tank threads quite a bit. Lol 

Yeah, this hands in the tank habit is something I need to work on. But like you said, sometimes it is necessary. Vermetids always force my hand and cause immediate retaliation. 😡 

Shimmer from Kessils is second to non. Sometimes I wish that Kessil would include shimmer control as at times, it almost seems too much.🤣

As a side note and for the record. My Firefish is MIA (few days).  Checked the carpet, behind the tank, back compartments..... nothing. Well, seems like my overstocking concerns worked itself out on its own. 

Also, second Kessil360X purchase by the end of this month is a strong possibility. 🤫

• Like 1
A Little Blue
On 1/3/2019 at 11:40 AM, jack1978 said:

Great pics as always!

Thanks🍺

On 1/2/2019 at 10:14 PM, samnaz said:

I'm absolutely in love with this tank. Great photos too. Thanks for the new desktop background. 

Lol Anytime and thank you. 

A Little Blue
5 minutes ago, spectra said:

Love the kessil shimmer.............and about 3:30 of to much clownfish :lol: I like the nero just picked one up to see how they work.

It was already too late to recut the vid. Agree, it was way too long. 

So you got Nero? Awesome! 

Did you get to try it or waiting for it?

2 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

It was already too late to recut the vid. Agree, it was way too long. 

So you got Nero? Awesome! 

Did you get to try it or waiting for it?

Yes got one last week. Dropped a bunch of zoas and stuff of at the LFS and brought that home.

Just put it in the 100 and running it at 20% or so. Have a MP40 on the other side of the tank. Was just tired of the 40 sticking out but not sure I like the chord inside the tank on the nero :rolleyes: my OCD side just doesnt like it :lol: will just run it and need to download the app and stuff but I hate technology.........

Like the bare bottom  and would have loved to go that rout but my wrasse would hate me......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
A Little Blue
21 minutes ago, spectra said:

Yes got one last week. Dropped a bunch of zoas and stuff of at the LFS and brought that home.

Just put it in the 100 and running it at 20% or so. Have a MP40 on the other side of the tank. Was just tired of the 40 sticking out but not sure I like the chord inside the tank on the nero :rolleyes: my OCD side just doesnt like it :lol: will just run it and need to download the app and stuff but I hate technology.........

Like the bare bottom  and would have loved to go that rout but my wrasse would hate me......

So you got the zoas factory going huh? Not huge on zoas but if you wanna get extra beer $$$ I might be a game. 😉

Yeah, you really need the app to get the most out of it. Your technological handicap shouldn’t be a problem. It’s stupid easy to setup and tweak to your liking. If you need some help with that, I’ll be more than happy to walk you thru it. 

Not sure what’s your setup looks like but %25 seems really low. Unless it creates sandstorm, but still. 

Beauty of BB is that you can really go nuts with the flow. I’m pushing close to 100X tank volume (probably more) per hour (4 wavemakers+return)🤫

Downside of BB..... no wrasses😞

I’m done with MPs. Had 3, all had some sort of problem. Not sure how Nero will perform in a long run but so far so good. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

So you got the zoas factory going huh? Not huge on zoas but if you wanna get extra beer $$$ I might be a game. 😉

Yeah, you really need the app to get the most out of it. Your technological handicap shouldn’t be a problem. It’s stupid easy to setup and tweak to your liking. If you need some help with that, I’ll be more than happy to walk you thru it. 

Not sure what’s your setup looks like but %25 seems really low. Unless it creates sandstorm, but still. 

Beauty of BB is that you can really go nuts with the flow. I’m pushing close to 100X tank volume (probably more) per hour (4 wavemakers+return)🤫

Downside of BB..... no wrasses😞

I’m done with MPs. Had 3, all had some sort of problem. Not sure how Nero will perform in a long run but so far so good. 

Oh I can figure it out I just hate technology :wink:

Yeah hate my sand moving.......but it happens......I need a little guy in there to keep the sand level :lol:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, micoastreefing said:

diamond goby, if you can't have it leveled - just have it all screwed up! 😂

NO ,NO , NO and another NO :lol: those things suck..........I can drop sand on corals all I want so why get a fish that does it to........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
A Little Blue
11 hours ago, spectra said:

Oh I can figure it out I just hate technology :wink:

Yeah hate my sand moving.......but it happens......I need a little guy in there to keep the sand level :lol:

B743B907-9356-4E52-8B6D-5CEAB27D23A3.gif.ffacf3d425e48cf6c6726d899d807d09.gif

I get it, I get it. It’s scary. 😂

Not sure if Sancho would quit his new ghetto office for your sand OCD🤭

B1CBB4AF-807A-42AD-B156-3BB29C5BF967.gif.897cf3d575e8efe81d00b2b69a9e3db2.gif

• Haha 3
A Little Blue
15 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

seeing a bunch of red cap frags all over the place. any concern that when they take off, they might become issue with alk/ca?

No issue. That’s what hammer is for. 

When frags break I just toss pieces around the rocks. There is some acro growing on return nozzle..... lmao 

it bleached out so I glued that b!tch on top of it and it found new appreciation for life after few months of hibernation. 🤣

• Haha 2
A Little Blue

New. Not sure what’s the acctual name is. Could be Rainbow Pectinia ???? It was sold at OK price tag. It should fill some voids in lower part of the tank. 

I was a bit confused by light recommendation by floor person.... She recommended high light/top placement which isn’t what I have heard from fellow reefers and other sellers on line. 

05A113EB-65A3-4F86-AFB6-98F09B595DF0.thumb.jpeg.d599ad335ba7c4d83d4bd7cb48a61d78.jpeg

Second find are these funny looking frag rocks. Flat bottom and sizable indent/notch at the top. I think it makes mounting frags a little easier and more secure. Those might not work for everyone and every situation but for bare bottom tank, it’s perfect. Flow in my tank is quite significant and flat frag disks just get tossed around as if they were made out of foam. These, stay in place and have some weight to it. Don’t have an idea what these plugs really cost as they were selling them for a $1 each out of the bin. 

D621EA06-6C29-4181-808B-078CFBD0EEA4.thumb.jpeg.87440084287b67c4f2eb9cff14072bd3.jpeg

And lastly got a pair of 3/4” size pair of Ocellaris Clownfish babies for quarantine/frag tank. So cute I couldn’t resist. Hopefully they will find new home and bubble tip anemone appealing. 

Couldnt take a decent pic as these guys simply can’t stand still. 

• Like 3
A Little Blue

These are not new or very good pics but that’s not the point of this post. These pics were chosen to show four White Balance setting and how important it is to accurately portray image of your tank. 

Three of these are default WB options and one is my own custom setting, which in my opinion represents colors of my tank most accurately. Not going to say which one is the most accurate. I’ll leave it out for speculation. 

FC9CAA6E-B97C-4714-8B18-0D7A7F49CF82.thumb.jpeg.b9a78d4100d722e5f900ace94c63e50e.jpegA6E1CC4A-7305-4EF3-A636-D56BE9B63FE8.thumb.jpeg.7504a696e0f85345cf18a36ff214a156.jpegC438E6F4-1DCE-49A8-8600-795263C1DC76.thumb.jpeg.9481c845afe1ac9d76a1b1dc9e8c3b50.jpeg85787C04-AFA2-45D4-9058-0D5A39223337.thumb.jpeg.bc54360d994412ca006551d34161fa6c.jpeg

As a side note Apex Trident was given out on lease to selected reefers for tryouts so it’s safe to assume that it might be coming out by this summer. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

These are not new or very good pics but that’s not the point of this post. These pics were chosen to show four White Balance setting and how important it is to accurately portray image of your tank. 

Three of these are default WB options and one is my own custom setting, which in my opinion represents colors of my tank most accurately. Not going to say which one is the most accurate. I’ll leave it out for speculation. 

FC9CAA6E-B97C-4714-8B18-0D7A7F49CF82.thumb.jpeg.b9a78d4100d722e5f900ace94c63e50e.jpegA6E1CC4A-7305-4EF3-A636-D56BE9B63FE8.thumb.jpeg.7504a696e0f85345cf18a36ff214a156.jpegC438E6F4-1DCE-49A8-8600-795263C1DC76.thumb.jpeg.9481c845afe1ac9d76a1b1dc9e8c3b50.jpeg85787C04-AFA2-45D4-9058-0D5A39223337.thumb.jpeg.bc54360d994412ca006551d34161fa6c.jpeg

As a side note Apex Trident was given out on lease to selected reefers for tryouts so it’s safe to assume that it might be coming out by this summer. 

#1 - too warm

#4 - too blue

down to #2 & #3  

it's really down to how you keep the tank looks in real-life.  #3 looks very neutral to me - no one put the Kessils on their tanks for the neutral colors haha.  

#2 has just about the right touch of blue.  I'm going with #2 being your chosen one.   

• Like 1
A Little Blue
4 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

#1 - too warm

#4 - too blue

down to #2 & #3  

it's really down to how you keep the tank looks in real-life.  #3 looks very neutral to me - no one put the Kessils on their tanks for the neutral colors haha.  

#2 has just about the right touch of blue.  I'm going with #2 being your chosen one.   

That was pretty good. And you’re right, you just don’t know what settings someone might be using (even tho I post them from time to time). 

Your pick (#2) is not the correct answer but it could very well be if you concider what this tank looks like at the end of the ramp up or beginning of ramping down. 

Pic #3 is most accurate representation of the actual tank during the day time (time when those pics were taken). 

Once again, very impressive, great job. 👍

• Like 1
On 1/6/2019 at 8:51 PM, A Little Blue said:

New. Not sure what’s the acctual name is. Could be Rainbow Pectinia ???? It was sold at OK price tag. It should fill some voids in lower part of the tank. 

I was a bit confused by light recommendation by floor person.... She recommended high light/top placement which isn’t what I have heard from fellow reefers and other sellers on line. 

05A113EB-65A3-4F86-AFB6-98F09B595DF0.thumb.jpeg.d599ad335ba7c4d83d4bd7cb48a61d78.jpeg

Second find are these funny looking frag rocks. Flat bottom and sizable indent/notch at the top. I think it makes mounting frags a little easier and more secure. Those might not work for everyone and every situation but for bare bottom tank, it’s perfect. Flow in my tank is quite significant and flat frag disks just get tossed around as if they were made out of foam. These, stay in place and have some weight to it. Don’t have an idea what these plugs really cost as they were selling them for a $1 each out of the bin. 

D621EA06-6C29-4181-808B-078CFBD0EEA4.thumb.jpeg.87440084287b67c4f2eb9cff14072bd3.jpeg

And lastly got a pair of 3/4” size pair of Ocellaris Clownfish babies for quarantine/frag tank. So cute I couldn’t resist. Hopefully they will find new home and bubble tip anemone appealing. 

Couldnt take a decent pic as these guys simply can’t stand still. 

The Purple Bunghole Frag Disk? 

• Haha 1
A Little Blue
1 hour ago, jack1978 said:

The Purple Bunghole Frag Disk? 

Whatever it is, I love this stuff. 

Leaving 4 vaca on Friday. 

Hopefully 5 days won’t kill both tanks. 

• Like 1
Just now, A Little Blue said:

Whatever it is, I love this stuff. 

Leaving 4 vaca on Friday.