Top Shelf Aquatics

LITTLE BLUE| IM30L (picking up pieces after the crush)

A Little Blue

A Little Blue
4 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Oh sh!t!  Good luck with the restart.  Any teaser?

Not really. Not much going on.  Several LPS and SPS and Acros at the moment. Simplified version. Two smaller return pumps. Hopefully they won’t fail at the same time. 🙏🏻

Looking for larger tank and good deals. Might pull a trigger if the deal is right. 

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
22 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Not really. Not much going on.  Several LPS and SPS and Acros at the moment. Simplified version. Two smaller return pumps. Hopefully they won’t fail at the same time. 🙏🏻

Looking for larger tank and good deals. Might pull a trigger if the deal is right. 

Aww bummer 😞 sorry to hear. Glad you still have a tank though. Can't wait to see pictures 👍. Glad to know everything is well with you.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

about time some life in here..................... hell if you were close you could have had a sweet deal on my 100 that I had................

24 minutes ago, spectra said:

about time some life in here..................... hell if you were close you could have had a sweet deal on my 100 that I had................

I’m still bummed that you let that one go, it was a very nice tank, dimension-wise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

I’m still bummed that you let that one go, it was a very nice tank, dimension-wise. 

Yes but wanted more room...............

• Like 3
A Little Blue
19 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Aww bummer 😞 sorry to hear. Glad you still have a tank though. Can't wait to see pictures 👍. Glad to know everything is well with you.

All good. Watching the “swamp” for few months really took a toll. I literally didn’t touch anything for months. Just watched the death consume what was left of it. 

I had that 2.5 gal setup with some corals in it..... you know, the contest thingy. So all those corals got moved back to 30l. Not much there as you can imagine. After all, this stock was meant for the little thingy. 

17 hours ago, spectra said:

Thanks mate. Haven’t been on here in ages so no clue about your upgrades. 

Red Sea and Elos makes nice tanks in 100-150gal range. Been lurking around locally but not much luck. 

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

All good. Watching the “swamp” for few months really took a toll. I literally didn’t touch anything for months. Just watched the death consume what was left of it. 

I had that 2.5 gal setup with some corals in it..... you know, the contest thingy. So all those corals got moved back to 30l. Not much there as you can imagine. After all, this stock was meant for the little thingy. 

Red Sea and Elos makes nice tanks in 100-150gal range. Been lurking around locally but not much luck. 

How did the little tank end up? Did it turn out ok and do you still have it up? Figures something as dumb as a pump killed the tank :mellow:. Are you going a different route this time around or going to do SPS again?

• Like 1
A Little Blue
49 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

How did the little tank end up? Did it turn out ok and do you still have it up? Figures something as dumb as a pump killed the tank :mellow:. Are you going a different route this time around or going to do SPS again?

It was nice (2gal) setup. Even grew some more sensitive acros. Kinda stripped it to the bone after moving everything to 30l. It’s still running tho. There was no need for 2 Kessils 80, so I took one off of it. It grows small frags of GSP for locals atm. 

Unfortunate they haven’t invented  bulletproof hardware yet. 

Running 2 small IM mighty return pumps on 30l atm. One runs full time. The other one as backup. When 1st one fails, Apex activates the other one. Same thing with heaters. But there is always something that f..cks you over in this hobby. It is what it is. 

And yes, it will be mostly SPS oriented setup. Got about 6 acros, nice torch, montis and few leftovers that miraculously survived tank crush. 

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
12 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

It was nice (2gal) setup. Even grew some more sensitive acros. Kinda stripped it to the bone after moving everything to 30l. It’s still running tho. There was no need for 2 Kessils 80, so I took one off of it. It grows small frags of GSP for locals atm. 

Unfortunate they haven’t invented  bulletproof hardware yet. 

Running 2 small IM mighty return pumps on 30l atm. One runs full time. The other one as backup. When 1st one fails, Apex activates the other one. Same thing with heaters. But there is always something that f..cks you over in this hobby. It is what it is. 

And yes, it will be mostly SPS oriented setup. Got about 6 acros, nice torch, montis and few leftovers that miraculously survived tank crush. 

Nice! Well I can't wait to see you fill it back up with beauty again :smilie:. Glad you didn't say f it and toss the tank out the window.

I ended up getting a waterbox 20 and took down my other 20. The waterbox is such a nice tank.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
19 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Nice! Well I can't wait to see you fill it back up with beauty again :smilie:. Glad you didn't say f it and toss the tank out the window.

I ended up getting a waterbox 20 and took down my other 20. The waterbox is such a nice tank.

Noooo, been in it since 95/96. It’s discouraging for sure. Just needed a little time to bounce back. My wife and daughter were devastated tho. Weird, bc I always thought that they hated it. 

You swap 20 for 20...... You didn’t want to go a little bigger? That’s usually how it goes. 😉

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
16 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Noooo, been in it since 95/96. It’s discouraging for sure. Just needed a little time to bounce back. My wife and daughter were devastated tho. Weird, bc I always thought that they hated it. 

You swap 20 for 20...... You didn’t want to go a little bigger? That’s usually how it goes. 😉

Ohhhh I have bigger :lol: It's a 75 gallon with 26 gallon sump that's sitting empty... I've been trying to get it set up for ohh, a year already. I have a return pump and some other goodies, just have to plumb it :lol:. I got a good deal on the waterbox plus I wanted a cube. Lot better scape with it now. I dipped my toes in the world of sps and so far, knock on wood, it's been very good.

It's nice to know the family liked the tank, this time around think they might get more involved in it? I wish my wife would get more involved lol.

A Little Blue
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Ohhhh I have bigger :lol: It's a 75 gallon with 26 gallon sump that's sitting empty... I've been trying to get it set up for ohh, a year already. I have a return pump and some other goodies, just have to plumb it :lol:. I got a good deal on the waterbox plus I wanted a cube. Lot better scape with it now. I dipped my toes in the world of sps and so far, knock on wood, it's been very good.

It's nice to know the family liked the tank, this time around think they might get more involved in it? I wish my wife would get more involved lol.

No way, no how they’re getting involved. 🤣

75gal gives nice stocking options. No rush, I’m sure you will do it justice. Nice and easy wins the race. 

Good to hear you’re turning into SPS junky. Hope you stock up before prices reach absurdity. My LFSs lost their freakin  mind. I’ve been out for several months and prices almost doubled. WTH is going on.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Yep picked up a RS750 and now see they make a bigger one............... might have to upgrade again :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
11 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

No way, no how they’re getting involved. 🤣

75gal gives nice stocking options. No rush, I’m sure you will do it justice. Nice and easy wins the race. 

Good to hear you’re turning into SPS junky. Hope you stock up before prices reach absurdity. My LFSs lost their freakin  mind. I’ve been out for several months and prices almost doubled. WTH is going on.....

Oh yeah, i'm really digging SPS. :smilie: The prices are all over the place now. My LFS has a nice section with 20 dollar frags still, but there are other places that are insane on price. As for the 75, my plan for that is all small fish. Nothing that gets much larger than 4" with an average of a couple inches. I want the tank to look full and busy with life. I'm thinking a large mix of blenny's, gobies, some fire fish and maybe some chromis.

• Like 5
A Little Blue
3 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh yeah, i'm really digging SPS. :smilie: The prices are all over the place now. My LFS has a nice section with 20 dollar frags still, but there are other places that are insane on price. As for the 75, my plan for that is all small fish. Nothing that gets much larger than 4" with an average of a couple inches. I want the tank to look full and busy with life. I'm thinking a large mix of blenny's, gobies, some fire fish and maybe some chromis.

It has been a while since I’ve seen a nice $20 SPS frag at my LFS. But they gotta eat too. Property lease market skyrocketed so I kinda get it. 

Cool plan for your 75. Don’t forget to add few good working fish to make your life easier. 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

It has been a while since I’ve seen a nice $20 SPS frag at my LFS. But they gotta eat too. Property lease market skyrocketed so I kinda get it. 

Cool plan for your 75. Don’t forget to add few good working fish to make your life easier. 

Only big fish I was considering was something that for sure grazes on algae, not sure what that would be though :lol:. I'm hoping to have this thing plumbed sometime this year?? Maybe??

• Like 1
A Little Blue
3 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Only big fish I was considering was something that for sure grazes on algae, not sure what that would be though :lol:. I'm hoping to have this thing plumbed sometime this year?? Maybe??

There are many great choices out there. Not sure what Foxface attitude towards other fish on your list is, but it’s a great workhorse as far as algae control is concern. Nr.1 on my short list of fish for future setup. 

Melanurus wrasse would be my Nr.2 for pest control. 

Both tho, might not fit your stocking master plan. 

And there is nothing wrong with taking your time. It will also be easier on your wallet (and marriage🤞).

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
10 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

There are many great choices out there. Not sure what Foxface attitude towards other fish on your list is, but it’s a great workhorse as far as algae control is concern. Nr.1 on my short list of fish for future setup. 

Melanurus wrasse would be my Nr.2 for pest control. 

Both tho, might not fit your stocking master plan. 

And there is nothing wrong with taking your time. It will also be easier on your wallet (and marriage🤞).

Yeah i'm going really slow....:lol: My wife bought me the sump last Christmas :eek:. She's like "Are you ever gonna use that thing I bought you for Christmas?" I tell her yup, I am taking my time with this. It might have water in it by next Christmas :smilie:

I have to figure out how to actually plumb things. The fittings is what throws me off. Basically, I look at and i'm like ok, how do I do this? And then I say "ehh #### it i'll figure it out tomorrow."

18 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Basically, I look at and i'm like ok, how do I do this? And then I say "ehh #### it i'll figure it out tomorrow."

that's why you don't eat cookies or chocolate before looking at those type of things.  Beers are ok. 🤣

• Haha 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

that's why you don't eat cookies or chocolate before looking at those type of things.  Beers are ok. 🤣

Hmmmmm….. now that you say that, it makes total sense omgomgomg

• Like 2
A Little Blue
56 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Yup, after downing 6-pack, plumbing becomes your second nature. 🙏🏻

• Haha 3
  • 3 months later...
A Little Blue
12 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

anybody here still?  is there a reboot in the making? 

Rebooted several months ago. 
Stopped tweaking, reinventing the wheel and it seems to be working for now.
Nothing really interesting to report. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1