SaltCritters.com

Cobalt neo-therm heater malfunction?

Butchy21

So I run a 100W Neo-therm cobalt heater on my tank and it was purchased about 2.5 years ago.  Yesterday I noticed that the heater had its temperature set to the lowest setting (66 degrees) when it is usually set to 78.   I figured a snail must have wedged itself near the button or something so I moved the heater to the front of the tank so I could watch it.  I reset it to 78 and watched it all night and it remained at 78.  This morning I woke up and again- the setting was 66 degrees yet the tank temperature was 78!

Has anyone encountered issues with these heaters?  I will be pulling it immediately and calling the company.  I've read online that people "reset" them by unplugging for 30 min but it is stupid to take any risk.

LogicalReefs

I saw a post on this forum I believe about people having issues with that heater. I believe it blows up or something and leaks. But it didn’t say anything about what your experiencing. 

It would probably be safe to replace your heater every year anyways to be on the safe side I’ve read. Don’t want something to happen to our reef tanks with a part that cost about $50 usually. This reminds me about me needing to replace my heater lol. 

I had an issue with my heater where it was clicking loudly (like a finger snap). I called the company and they told me to replace it where I bought it if I wanted to, but nothing wrong with the clicking.

I would call the company though, they were actually very helpful.

M

Christopher Marks
1 hour ago, Butchy21 said:

So I run a 100W Neo-therm cobalt heater on my tank and it was purchased about 2.5 years ago.  Yesterday I noticed that the heater had its temperature set to the lowest setting (66 degrees) when it is usually set to 78.   I figured a snail must have wedged itself near the button or something so I moved the heater to the front of the tank so I could watch it.  I reset it to 78 and watched it all night and it remained at 78.  This morning I woke up and again- the setting was 66 degrees yet the tank temperature was 78!

Has anyone encountered issues with these heaters?  I will be pulling it immediately and calling the company.  I've read online that people "reset" them by unplugging for 30 min but it is stupid to take any risk.

With some recent heater failures posted here on the forum, I'd say its time to replace your heater. 2.5 years seems to be pushing it on long term reliability, based on other reported experiences. It's worth the extra dollars for some peace of mind.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, RocketClownfish said:

I saw a post on this forum I believe about people having issues with that heater. I believe it blows up or something and leaks. But it didn’t say anything about what your experiencing. 

It would probably be safe to replace your heater every year anyways to be on the safe side I’ve read. Don’t want something to happen to our reef tanks with a part that cost about $50 usually. This reminds me about me needing to replace my heater lol. 

Yup- I’m with you on that- already had a heater nuke my tank once. 

Before I pulled it- tried to unplug for 30 min, plugged it back in- and this happened about 30 min after being plugged back in! That’s some scary crap right there. 

8CD639D2-6E53-457A-A285-3C8CB1902912.jpeg

• Wow 1
3 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

With some recent heater failures posted here on the forum, I'd say its time to replace your heater. 2.5 years seems to be pushing it on long term reliability, based on other reported experiences. It's worth the extra dollars for some peace of mind.

Absolutely agree. I’m setting a firm two year limit from now on!

i also was thinking, why wouldn’t these companies produce heaters that have a very limited range of settings. 72-82 degrees max would potentially prevent some issues with accidental bumps.  Having a setting go up to 96 seems like a really stupid product design. 

• Like 1

Some heaters last a long time, others don't.

Some malfunction when brand new.

A general rule is after 2 yrs it's best to replace it.

Certain models of the cobalt had issues so depending the yr of manufacture depends on if you'll have an issue.

2014 was the yr I believe.

Otherwise these heaters have a very good reputation.

None are perfect.

I think it's one piece of equipment we'd all like to see improved.

As clown79 mentioned some heaters last ages, other can fail while still quite young. For the most part, most recognized brand names will last quite a while. But even among beloved brands occasionally one will still go bad earlier.  I had an eheim that failed after just 3 months. Far from the norm, but it's a mechanical device and once in a while one will malfunction ... especially in such a harsh environment. (e.g. a electrical device in saltwater that is constantly switching off and on through the day, day after day.).

IMHO, 2.5 years is a pretty good life span for a saltwater tank heater.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
On 4/7/2018 at 11:01 AM, RocketClownfish said:

Several years ago it cooked my tank. So yes, I had issue with these guys. Not gonna crap on the brand as I am still using 3 of those in versions applications. Like all things in life, they are not perfect. 

• Like 1

I have one that’s over 3yrs old, still works I think. But I also use my apex controller to monitor both heaters in my tank. My other heater is a finnex  titanium 300w heater, which i really like.  Always good to have a fail safe imo.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Asureef said:

I have one that’s over 3yrs old, still works I think. But I also use my apex controller to monitor both heaters in my tank. My other heater is a finnex  titanium 300w heater, which i really like.  Always good to have a fail safe imo.  

I agree- that is part of the expense in this hobby... slowly getting all of those fail safes.  I do not have a controller and they are on the list of equipment I want, in addition to an auto top off and dosers.

Can you explain the benefits of the controllers and what they can monitor/ control?  I know they can come with temperature and pH probes but I am unaware of the other features.   I'm guessing you plug your heater directly into the controller and if temperature rises, the controller can shut off the heater?

• 1 year later...

New to the nano game but had one of these fail after 6 months, water temp was set at 77, heater glitched to 92. I was traveling at the time and this cooked my coral and my tank. In damage control now. Should have rolled with the tried and true glass heaters. Had them for 5 years in my 150 gallon with 0 issue, breaking out my apex for fail safe and replacing this garbage. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, MerkWert said:

New to the nano game but had one of these fail after 6 months, water temp was set at 77, heater glitched to 92. I was traveling at the time and this cooked my coral and my tank. In damage control now. Should have rolled with the tried and true glass heaters. Had them for 5 years in my 150 gallon with 0 issue, breaking out my apex for fail safe and replacing this garbage. 

Even glass ones aren't tried and true. Many have failed, shattered, cracked.

There isn't a brand of heater that doesn't have bad reviews or malfunctions.

• Like 1

On my previous tank, my glass heaters took offence to the 18-hour wintertime move and shattered within a few minutes of turning them on in the new place.  They were about four months old at the time >.> I ended up having to keep my fish and everything bagged in styrofoam for another night and run to (and FIND) a pet store the next morning in order to actually get everything back in the tank.  That apartment was super cold in the winter 😕

Didn’t end up losing any fish, though.  Blenny went into hiding for two months, but he eventually crept back out of his rock.

• Wow 1
  • 1 month later...
Jillian Buchanan

I purchased a Cobalt Neo-Therm 100Watt aquarium heater April 2017. It was set at 76 degrees and stayed that way for over 2 years. Yesterday I found 8 DEAD fish, and 2 dead snails.... Lo and behold- the Heater read with a RED LIGHT 94 degrees?????   Go Figure....   I unplugged it, then 20 minutes later removed it from the tank. Let it sit overnight in an empty juice container completely submersed in water. Then, this morning- I had hoped to plug it in and reset it... BUT upon plugging it in- it reads 94 degrees with the RED light.

• Sad 1

This is the reason why an Apex is so important.  Have it connected to 2 heaters in case one heater fails.  Shuts them off if it gets too hot.  I picked up my Apex used for 190 with new probes, best purchase i've ever made

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I've owned my neo-therm for only 6 months, I woke up this morning and my clowns looked panicked, my hammer coral dead and my other corals don't look good at all!!! This heater went rogue and turned itself up to oh wow during the night and has done lots of damage! 

• 3 years later...
On 12/9/2019 at 6:58 AM, Jillian Buchanan said:

I purchased a Cobalt Neo-Therm 100Watt aquarium heater April 2017. It was set at 76 degrees and stayed that way for over 2 years. Yesterday I found 8 DEAD fish, and 2 dead snails.... Lo and behold- the Heater read with a RED LIGHT 94 degrees?????   Go Figure....   I unplugged it, then 20 minutes later removed it from the tank. Let it sit overnight in an empty juice container completely submersed in water. Then, this morning- I had hoped to plug it in and reset it... BUT upon plugging it in- it reads 94 degrees with the RED light.

Same thing with my 200 watts cobalt, 3 of my fish die already... For all that money I paid for this heater, I rather buy a different  heater, that cost less money, . is going to last the same time... I'm done with this heaters 😡