Jump to content
anniebanana267

need inspiration for 36 gallon aquascape!!

Recommended Posts

anniebanana267

hi everyone! im upgrading from my 15 gallon column tank to an Aqueon 36 gallon bowfront tank. so far it's going great, I have 40 lbs live reef rock, 45 lbs crushed coral, 2 Hydor Koralia 425 gph powerhead, 2 aqueon 100 watt heaters, and an Aqueon 50 filter. the only issue I'm having is that I have no idea where or how to put my rocks, so I'm looking for inspiration please! even its not a 36 gallon. just show me your pics of your purple live rock! :D also any advice for transferring fish would be appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

 aquascaping depends on the rock shape. Using epoxy helps with interesting set ups. Some use acrylic rods to really be creative.

 

Once the tank has cycled you can just transfer your fish by catching them in a net. Ensure temp and salinity is the same between tanks.

 

How many fish/corals do you have. You may want to do it slowly as the tank is new so the biological filtration don't be fully established to handle a full load.

 

If you had used your existing rocks and water you could just transfer them over.

 

I can share 3 tanks pics to give you some ideas. Another idea is doing a search on Google. 

 

First 2 pics are my 15g Which I re did the scape 3 times.

 

The second is my 25g I upgraded to

 

The 3rd is my 10g

942.jpg.e4c98896b05ab737a2565aa5c5d4a8bc.jpg

20160503_163304.jpg.84fcf03141cdae69f891fb15422b0d45.jpg

20180309_163157.jpg

20171215_162043.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
anniebanana267

 

18 hours ago, Clown79 said:

 aquascaping depends on the rock shape. Using epoxy helps with interesting set ups. Some use acrylic rods to really be creative.

 

Once the tank has cycled you can just transfer your fish by catching them in a net. Ensure temp and salinity is the same between tanks.

 

How many fish/corals do you have. You may want to do it slowly as the tank is new so the biological filtration don't be fully established to handle a full load.

 

If you had used your existing rocks and water you could just transfer them over.

Thank you! Gorgeous tanks!! 

I have no coral, but I’ll definitely make sure the salinity and temp are the same. I have 3 fish, damsel chromis and clown. I will be transferring the rocks over. 

I do have an issue with Brown diatom algae at the moment, I’ll be posting a thread related to that if you can help. But my question is will the algae spread over when I take the rocks from the 15 and put them in the 36?

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
5 minutes ago, anniebanana267 said:

 

Thank you! Gorgeous tanks!! 

I have no coral, but I’ll definitely make sure the salinity and temp are the same. I have 3 fish, damsel chromis and clown. I will be transferring the rocks over. 

I do have an issue with Brown diatom algae at the moment, I’ll be posting a thread related to that if you can help. But my question is will the algae spread over when I take the rocks from the 15 and put them in the 36?

 

 

Thank you.?

 

 

If it's diatoms it's normal. They go away on there own. How old is the 15g?

If you post a pic we can help identify it.

 

Getting some snails like trochus and ceriths will help. 

 

Have you been cycling the 36g?

Share this post


Link to post
anniebanana267
On 4/7/2018 at 4:16 PM, Clown79 said:

 

 

Thank you.?

 

 

If it's diatoms it's normal. They go away on there own. How old is the 15g?

If you post a pic we can help identify it.

 

Getting some snails like trochus and ceriths will help. 

 

Have you been cycling the 36g?

You’re welcome :) I do have pictures. See how the water is orange, and it’s all over the heater?

The 36 is completely cycled and I put my fish in today. :)

Today I got 2 hermit crabs and a strange looking snail that I didn’t catch the name of unfortunately. I do have a trochus that came as a hitchhiker but he’s smaller than the size of an ant. 

While speaking to my lfs I mentioned the algae and he informed me about light timing. I have my lights on from 6 am to about 11 pm. Approximately 17 hours. I’ll try to somehow the lighting and pray that my 36 gallon doesn’t get the algae. 

Instead of reducing the amount of time the light is on, is there a liquid I can buy that will prevent algae growth? But then, I have snails and crabs, so I don’t want to starve them either. such a conflict! Help?

( p.s. the other picture is of my tank at the moment :) )

DB60095E-3485-459C-854E-FEC3C57C0D18.jpeg

36C388F9-1E74-453D-9AB9-65C47555FFA9.jpeg

4D2AE0D8-A91F-468D-A60D-636EC3CE8632.jpeg

7F9952AA-7470-43A9-AA8F-A09DF50C743A.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Toxic enigma

Looks good, only suggestion I have would be to try and get the heater down behind the rock more.  Just a suggestion though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Jamisondaniel33

what kind of glue do you guys use for your aquascaping? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
anniebanana267
15 hours ago, Jamisondaniel33 said:

what kind of glue do you guys use for your aquascaping? 

I don’t use any glue actually, just lay them on each other’s dents and crevices :)

 

16 hours ago, Toxic enigma said:

Looks good, only suggestion I have would be to try and get the heater down behind the rock more.  Just a suggestion though. 

Thank you! I forgot to reply but I did lower it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Nocturnal
On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:42 AM, Jamisondaniel33 said:

what kind of glue do you guys use for your aquascaping? 

I like super glue. So tired of putty and it seems to crumble over time anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
A Little Blue

This helps with beneficial bacteria, it can help with algae and it will reduce the need for aggressive water changes. I have used that for years and love it (for new tanks and occasional dosing). https://www.marinedepot.com/Microbe_Lift_Special_Blend_Supplement_16oz_All_In_One_Additives_Supplements-Ecological_Laboratories-EL20490-FIADAO-vi.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwk9HWBRApEiwA6mKWaUCz5cEQr4ZQk5Ftmru3FbhXbBOruOo_oHZ-hsdiQmY1UCb_qjcaBRoCy9EQAvD_BwE

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
On 18/04/2018 at 2:42 AM, Jamisondaniel33 said:

what kind of glue do you guys use for your aquascaping? 

I use the aquastik or reef welder. (Reef welder works very well on dry rock)

Share this post


Link to post
Jamisondaniel33

Is reef welder a epoxy like clay? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
wsonner
On 4/20/2018 at 3:09 AM, Clown79 said:

I use the aquastik or reef welder. (Reef welder works very well on dry rock)

So you like Reef Welder? I'm getting ready to buy some and give it a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
5 hours ago, wsonner said:

So you like Reef Welder? I'm getting ready to buy some and give it a try.

I liked using it to aquascape but not under water. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...