SaltCritters.com

Check your refractometers!!

nsousa

1 hour ago, nsousa said:

Yeah it must be bad.  Im gonna try calling them.  First i need to look for the receipt.

ah, the age old battle.

About a year ago I started keeping the receipt and box for almost everything non food related.

3 hours ago, nsousa said:

Yes even calibrating everytime it doesnt work right for me.   I do mind calibrating  everytime but it just doesnt work.   Heres an example.

1-Ill calibrate it using 35ppt solution

2-ill test my tank water which i know is 35ppt and it shows less.  

3- ill then use the calibratiom fluid and its off again.   

That cant be right. Im not talking being off by 1ppt any where from 2-4.   Thats way to much for me or anyone.

On mine even flipping the cover over after putting the water on the lense would cause it to loose calibration.

Once I started doing it gently it wouldn't loose calibration as easy

squamptonbc
52 minutes ago, JBM said:

ah, the age old battle.

About a year ago I started keeping the receipt and box for almost everything non food related.

My wife gets annoyed at our closest of fish equipment boxes. I keep the box until the warranty is over for each item. The LFS will generally accept return under warranty and exchange and then deal with the company for credit/refund back, but they want the original box.

Luckily the store keeps electronic receipts that I can access on their website, so I don't have to save those.

On 4/15/2018 at 2:41 PM, nsousa said:

Yeah it must be bad.  Im gonna try calling them.  First i need to look for the receipt.

The only other thing I would try is floating the bottle of calibration fluid in tank water to bring it up to the same temp.  Make sure the bottle is closed very well and tight, of course!

Also, make sure you give it a minute or two to adjust and compensate for temperature once you've added your drops.  

Regardless, my refracs don't give me the same trouble yours is.  I'd also be calling or emailing Red Sea! :happy:

1 hour ago, sugar said:

The only other thing I would try is floating the bottle of calibration fluid in tank water to bring it up to the same temp.  Make sure the bottle is closed very well and tight, of course!

Also, make sure you give it a minute or two to adjust and compensate for temperature once you've added your drops.  

Regardless, my refracs don't give me the same trouble yours is.  I'd also be calling or emailing Red Sea! :happy:

I did already im geussing they also think its defective since they asked for a picture of the refractometer and proof of purchase.  Doing it when i get home.

• Like 1