Cultivated Reef

Fluval Evo Sea V for a Sexy Shrimp Tank?

SURVEYMAN46123

SURVEYMAN46123

So i'm planning a dive into the world of pico tanks.   I gotta be honest, I don't know where to start or what I'm getting into.   This is an introduction to hopefully a thriving pico in the future.   For now this is a place holder for questions and guidance from the knowledgeable pico reef keepers on Nano-Reef.

A month or so ago my family and I were at a LFS, and were fixated on their Fluval Spec V pico.   Inside they had a couple maxi-mini anemones and a large hammer coral.   However the highlight for all of us was their sexy shrimp.  I'm thinking a similar set up is something I could do easily, but instead go with the Fluval Sea model.   The lighting is the big concern.    Is a plug and play option with said inhabitants doable?

Ideally if I succeed with this I would like to go smaller.   Thinking a small cube style aquarium, Aquaclear 20, small heater, and a par bulb.   Making it a zoa dominant pico.  

I have a Spec V for my freshwater crystal shrimp. Picotope for my sexy's (link below in signature). I'd say the Fluval Sea light will keep easier corals and rock flower/maxi-mini nems. But, I think the color spectrum is warmer than show reefs and may wash out your corals/anemones. Your second option sounds better with a PAR bulb. But, keep zoa's away from sexy's, hungry ones will nip at them, I've seen it in my own tank. Also an ATO in my experience is a must with these tanks, just makes upkeep much easier. 

SURVEYMAN46123
16 hours ago, Fish_Wiz said:

I have a Spec V for my freshwater crystal shrimp. Picotope for my sexy's (link below in signature). I'd say the Fluval Sea light will keep easier corals and rock flower/maxi-mini nems. But, I think the color spectrum is warmer than show reefs and may wash out your corals/anemones. Your second option sounds better with a PAR bulb. But, keep zoa's away from sexy's, hungry ones will nip at them, I've seen it in my own tank. Also an ATO in my experience is a must with these tanks, just makes upkeep much easier. 

Gotcha.   That's what I was afraid of when it came to lighting.   As far as Zoa's and Sexy's, my plan is to never keep them together.  

CarolinaShoreReef

Plan on having a temp controller on it and switching out the lights if you want some lps. +1 on the ATO.  I haven’t tried RFAs in mine but I don’t think they’d be happy with the light. Tbh I’m not really happy with the light it’s too bright and washes all of the colors out. 

• Like 1