ReefCleaners.org

My Fluval 13.5 Modded pics!

nsousa

FINALLY NO AMMONIA!!!

but nitrites are high lol!!

Another week or 2 and should be able to add its first resident?

Nitrites dont seem to be budging 2.0-1.0 ppm.  Been this way for about 2 weeks.   Im not in a hurry or anything but should i be worried about it "stalling"  ???

Nitrates are the end result of the cycle.   If your ammonia and nitrite are low your tank should be cycled. the nitrate will just keep rising until it is removed via water change, carbon dosing or nutrient uptake/export via algae growth and harvesting.

If the Nitrite is still high I'd say you can still do the water change. While it will reduce all levels it will not stop the cycling process and you nitrate is really high.

• Like 1

Your ammonia has risen and fallen. You saw a spike of nitrite, but it hasn't completely dissipated...however your nitrates are alarmingly high. 100ppm is very very high.

I would personally do 2 water changes in excess of 25%. Meaning mix up your favorite salt as per directions to your tanks sg. Change out that amount of water. Wait 24 hours test water parameters. You were at 100ppm, if your nitrates get lowered to say 40ppm, do another the same size, wait and test again.

Now i know im gonna get some flack for this, but it's the truth.

In a text book world of emulating the ocean you want 0 nitrates, 0 phosphates, perfect pg, perfect calcium, yada yada yada....

BUT in real world application anything under 5ppm nitrate is fine for corals and invertebrates. Some softies like acans and zoas like a trace amount of nitrates. Most macros need nitrates and phosphates to "grow" Ive seen amazing reefs where they could get the phosphates bellow 1ppm, and you'd never be able to tell

You haven't discussed if your going to be keeping any macro algae or not.

TL;DR Start your water changes, and keep a log of your parameters.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JBM said:

Your ammonia has risen and fallen. You saw a spike of nitrite, but it hasn't completely dissipated...however your nitrates are alarmingly high. 100ppm is very very high.

I would personally do 2 water changes in excess of 25%. Meaning mix up your favorite salt as per directions to your tanks sg. Change out that amount of water. Wait 24 hours test water parameters. You were at 100ppm, if your nitrates get lowered to say 40ppm, do another the same size, wait and test again.

Now i know im gonna get some flack for this, but it's the truth.

In a text book world of emulating the ocean you want 0 nitrates, 0 phosphates, perfect pg, perfect calcium, yada yada yada....

BUT in real world application anything under 5ppm nitrate is fine for corals and invertebrates. Some softies like acans and zoas like a trace amount of nitrates. Most macros need nitrates and phosphates to "grow" Ive seen amazing reefs where they could get the phosphates bellow 1ppm, and you'd never be able to tell

You haven't discussed if your going to be keeping any macro algae or not.

TL;DR Start your water changes, and keep a log of your parameters.

I did a 3.5 gallon water change last evening.   I will test parameters in the evening to see where they are at.  

I was not planning on adding macro put might seeing the benefits of adding.   Ill keep you posted when in i get home.

Thanks

11 hours ago, MrJoel said:

Nitrates are the end result of the cycle.   If your ammonia and nitrite are low your tank should be cycled. the nitrate will just keep rising until it is removed via water change, carbon dosing or nutrient uptake/export via algae growth and harvesting.

If the Nitrite is still high I'd say you can still do the water change. While it will reduce all levels it will not stop the cycling process and you nitrate is really high.

This is what im going for.

Thx

• Like 1

Just did nitrate test and im super confused.

I did the nitrate test using my salifert test and it shows super high readings again.

I pulled out my api test and the results are so far apart its doesnt make sense.

Api seems to be inbetween 10-20ppm

Thats seems more reasonable considering the water change.   

Im going to do the red sea test kit see how that compares.

20180425_144926.jpg

20180425_145933.jpg

So I did my water parameter test this morning on my nitrites and nitrates and nitrites came in at 2.0 and nitrates came in high on my salifert test. on my API test seems to be about the same as last test 20-50 should I do another water change or should I just let it be

I would say it would be a good idea to perform another water change. Without some means of nitrate export, it will only continue to rise. And in addition to nuisance algae, high nitrates can lead to health problems in coral, fish, and invertebrates.   When you go to add livestock to your tank the high levels could be a shock even with a good acclimation period. There is no guarantee there would be adverse effects, but I would say It is better to do another water change to get nitrates to a lower concentration. 

It also depends which test is accurate.  Perhaps you can use clean salt water and run the salifert test with 50/50 mix of tank and clean water just to see if the concentration shows the expected 50% drop. If it does not the test kit may be bad.

Should i go buy some live rock from a good source and just add it at this point.   I just feel like im in a stump not knowing why nitrites have not budged in 2 weeks now.  Ive done water changes and it seems to have lowered my nitrates its approx. 50 ppm now should i do more water change?

Or just wait it this thing out as with out the live rock?

Also ive been dosing the aquaforest Bio S as per instructions when ammonia first became noticeable

30 minutes ago, nsousa said:

Also ive been dosing the aquaforest Bio S as per instructions when ammonia first became noticeable

In checking The page for Aquaforest Bio S, the video for the product states that it must be used in conjunction with protein skimming.  This is similar to using NO3:PO4-X , They encourage the growth of the bacteria that reduce nitrate and phosphate but rely on the skimmer to remove the byproduct.

Their documentation seems to show they intend the product to be used in combination with a skimmer. 

https://aquaforest.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/AF_Products-Guide_EN_WEB_20.11.2017.pdf

21 minutes ago, MrJoel said:

In checking The page for Aquaforest Bio S, the video for the product states that it must be used in conjunction with protein skimming.  This is similar to using NO3:PO4-X , They encourage the growth of the bacteria that reduce nitrate and phosphate but rely on the skimmer to remove the byproduct.

Their documentation seems to show they intend the product to be used in combination with a skimmer. 

https://aquaforest.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/AF_Products-Guide_EN_WEB_20.11.2017.pdf

Just finished watching the video regarding the bio s didn't see anything regarding the skimmer for the pro bio s it did say to have a powerful skimmer that's not the one I'm using so I'm hoping everything should be okay maybe just better to stop dosing that.

Crap! Should i just start over and dose with dr.tim ammonia and bacteria??

6 hours ago, MrJoel said:

I would say it would be a good idea to perform another water change. Without some means of nitrate export, it will only continue to rise. And in addition to nuisance algae, high nitrates can lead to health problems in coral, fish, and invertebrates.   When you go to add livestock to your tank the high levels could be a shock even with a good acclimation period. There is no guarantee there would be adverse effects, but I would say It is better to do another water change to get nitrates to a lower concentration. 

It also depends which test is accurate.  Perhaps you can use clean salt water and run the salifert test with 50/50 mix of tank and clean water just to see if the concentration shows the expected 50% drop. If it does not the test kit may be bad.

Should i do daily water changes until there is no nitrates? Or minimum only?

It wont hinder the cycle im assuming?

Dont add live rock at this point either?

Just did water test.   I think everything seems ok now.   

Latest test show nitrite at approx. 1.5ppm.

The nitrates are through the roof so another water change is in the works as we speak.   If this major water change doesnt do much im just going to leave it alone and assess were im at in the next week or so.

20180427_162834.jpg

20180427_163320.jpg

Just finished a 75% water change.  Going to just leave it for now and test water parameters in 2 day.  

Love aquaforest reef salt so clear!!

Hoping for the best!!

20180427_175005.jpg

20180427_175000.jpg

• Like 2