anizato

Is there such a thing as FILTRATION OVERKILL? 1st P I C S are up!

anizato

I am re-setting up a Fusion 10g and I want to house mainly an anemone some chalices maybe a stick if i am lucky ...oh and my clownfish. So wanted to get a conversation started regarding the filtration I currently have in mind:

Was thinking of going with:

Reef Glass Protein Skimmer

MarinePure Ceramic Spheres

Chaeto Algae Reactor

Do you guys think this is overkill? What you think? 

Thanks for your time.

• Like 1

squamptonbc

Seems fine to me. I always maximize filtration especially bio. 

I do tend to stock heavy on fish and light on corals however.

• Haha 1

k4ndyk1ng

MIght be worth saving some money and skipping the skimmer, depends if you want fish and how clean you need the water to be.

• Like 2

Subsea

IMO, the skimmer is unnecessary.

• Like 1

NanoRox

Having a Chaeto reactor and skimmer is counter intuitive.  I would cut one of them out.  of the two I would keep the chaeto

• Like 1

pappadumplingz

Running a 34 L nano with acros atm and I don't need a skimmer, just weekly water changes, I just have an extra hang on filter for mechanical and the marine pure balls in the back. I don't even have any live rock, so I'm sure what you have will be fine. Also did a fuge back in the day and it worked wonders.

• Wow 1

anizato

cool... i will be making the transfer on sunday.

will try to document as much of it as possible.

• Like 1

A Little Blue
On 4/4/2018 at 8:56 AM, Duane Clark said:

Having a Chaeto reactor and skimmer is counter intuitive.  I would cut one of them out.  of the two I would keep the chaeto

Can you elaborate on your argument? 

NanoRox
36 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Can you elaborate on your argument? 

He will end up starving the chaeto and it will die.   

HarryPotter
4 minutes ago, Duane Clark said:

But if the end goal is the strongest filtration you could feed more and balance out the skimmer and chaeto, no? 

You could definitely starve out the chaeto. I think both depend on the size; the size of the skimmer and the size of the refugium. 

markalot

I agree on skipping the skimmer and if for some reason you need more export you can always get one down the road.   As you well know if exports > imports then nothing will be happy.

• Like 1

A Little Blue
11 minutes ago, Duane Clark said:

Isn’t it dependent on amount of nutrients/food amount/waste in the water? Not trying to imply anything but I have heard from many reputable people who run skimmer/algae-fuge with great results. Actually, I am thinking about adding a skimmer to my system that will run on Triton Core7 dosing system that recommends skimmer/algae-fuge approach. What am I missing? 

• Like 2

Muffin87
On 4/4/2018 at 5:56 AM, anizato said:

Chaeto Algae Reactor

I was thinking of a Cheato reactor for my 16G as well.

What kind were you thinking?

• Like 1

HarryPotter
6 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Isn’t it dependent on amount of nutrients/food amount/waste in the water? Not trying to imply anything but I have heard from many reputable people who run skimmer/algae-fuge with great results. Actually, I am thinking about adding a skimmer to my system that will run on Triton Core7 dosing system that recommends skimmer/algae-fuge approach. What am I missing? 

You're right in that if you feed a lot, you could skim while maintaining enough nutrients for chaeto. By the "One or the other" logic, skimming should kill all the algae and corals in the tank because "it takes all the nutrients". There are more factors; the amount you feed, the size of the skimmer, etc. 

I agree that usually one of the two methods of nutrient removal is enough; I skim, and I cant grow chaeto. Nutrients are too low. 

• Thanks 1

A Little Blue
5 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

You're right in that if you feed a lot, you could skim while maintaining enough nutrients for chaeto. By the "One or the other" logic, skimming should kill all the algae and corals in the tank because "it takes all the nutrients". There are more factors; the amount you feed, the size of the skimmer, etc. 

I agree that usually one of the two methods of nutrient removal is enough; I skim, and I cant grow chaeto. Nutrients are too low. 

So basically in tune what “markalot” said.  

What about dosing algae? Here is a formula from one of algae reactor manufacturers (snake oil?) : 

“Nitrate & Molybdenum
1ml raises 100L 0.5ppm
Does as needed to maintain NO3:PO4 ratio of approx. 100:1

Iron & Manganese
1 drop per 25 gallons daily.”

I would hate to starve my low “occupancy” tank out of nutrients. Should keep skimmer handy for emergencies only? Skimmer is barely rated for my tank size (30g). 

• Sad 1

NanoRox
10 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

But if the end goal is the strongest filtration you could feed more and balance out the skimmer and chaeto, no? 

In this case I would ask why feed extra so you can pull out what you are feeding?  Just is counter intuitive when the chaeto alone  is more than sufficient.  This is just my opinion of course but born out of my own experience as well. 

• Like 2

NanoRox
10 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Yeah I get what you are saying.  Lots of ways to do something successfully since there are so many factors.  I agree that if the tank has so many nutrients that need to be pulled out BOTH could be run but I think that is only necessary in an extremely "out of balance" situation. i.e- severe over stocking of fish for example.  In that case there would be enough to feed the chaeto at the same time the skimmer exports nutrients.  But I go back to what I would consider a "normal" bioload  that both would be overkill.  In time, even with initial success of running both, the chaeto will eventually be starved. 

• Thanks 2

bofo

Tentatively offering help as a newcoming returned to the hobby...

It'd be good to have the chaeto on an opposite light cycle from the tank if you are stocking corals to ensure a more consistent pH throughout the 24 hours..? Please someone shoot this down if it's obvious or plain wrong

Mkus

Cut out skimmer I had one on a 24 gal and was skimming a little wet it stripped out way to much I sold it and just do my water changes much better..

anizato
22 hours ago, Muffin87 said:

I was thinking of a Cheato reactor for my 16G as well.

What kind were you thinking?

I have a BRS Deluxe Reactor and i just ordered the LED strip from Amazon. I don't have Chaeto, but I do have Caulerpa, I will give that a go see what luck I have.

anizato

cool info everyone! i have decided to omit the skimmer per the conversation, for the time being. My tank only has Onyx the Clownfish and 3 anemones, 2 hermit crabs, about 6 nassarius and a camel shrimp. 

I may add some peppermint shrimp and MAYBE two more fish ... still dont know what I want.. .either another clownfish to pair up with Onyx or a Mandarin Goby (yes i have a separate pod culture) or a Goby/Shrimp.

According to the conversation neither of these choices should require both skimmer & macro-reactor.

• Like 1

anizato

PICS of DAY 0 - Transfer Day!

53E03353-1A45-42E8-AEC4-FFAA61D9E7EE.jpeg

FD3FF53B-9944-4A5B-96F4-5DB0B8FEEC33.jpeg

4C3E79CF-9AE6-466F-ACFD-B76BE872DBAE.jpeg

anizato

Day 0 FTS and Top-Down pics

503C1D56-086E-41BE-91AC-23DF135A474D.jpeg

756EA6D7-1D4A-44B5-AB38-135A713781D2.jpeg

5186C7BE-3FD9-425E-980D-3E30084D3AA6.jpeg

————0————

This morning!

Day 4

AFCDD49C-B968-41EB-A805-173582606C5D.jpeg

anizato

As you can tell, there is a LOT of brown hairy stuff growing constantly in the back!!! 

I am ordering the LED strip tonight and will install it ASAP.

Gives me time to clean up the Reactor and get it ready! 

Do you guys run a little pouch of Carbon?

I have some BRS stuff, the 0.8 or whatever. I read it should be placed one week out of the month and used only for 3 months. So 3 times before Inthrow it away? Really? Does carbon really “lose” its effectiveness? What is the deal with throwing this out?

Nocturnal
18 minutes ago, anizato said:

As you can tell, there is a LOT of brown hairy stuff growing constantly in the back!!! 

I am ordering the LED strip tonight and will install it ASAP.

Gives me time to clean up the Reactor and get it ready! 

Do you guys run a little pouch of Carbon?

I have some BRS stuff, the 0.8 or whatever. I read it should be placed one week out of the month and used only for 3 months. So 3 times before Inthrow it away? Really? Does carbon really “lose” its effectiveness? What is the deal with throwing this out?

Yes to carbon. Especially if your water starts to have a smell or look yellowish. Organic molecules get stuck in the pores of carbon it does get "used up".  I change mine after about a month or when things start looking weird.

Did I mis-read something? Why do you already have so much algae in a day 1 tank?

• Thanks 1