Cultivated Reef

Stomatella snail keeps falling on the sand?

anniebanana267

anniebanana267

hi everyone, one of my stomatella snails keeps falling off the rock, I've found him on the sand upside down about 3 times today and that's not like him at all. most times he's just hiding underneath a crevice in the rock he likes. please help I don't want anything to happen to him! :(

edit: i noticed one of his antennas or feelers or I'm not sure what u call them, one of them is shorter than the other I'm not sure if that could be a factor or something :(

IMG_20180403_184021.jpg

anniebanana267
8 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

Might just be old and slowly dying?  Are you're other inverts acting normal?

I got him and another stomatella as a hitchhiker around 3 weeks ago on my live reef rock. But who knows how old they were.

He was passed away this morning, upside down on the sand. R.i.p. little guy. The other stommy seemed to be falling off the rock just now, but I gently tapped him and he seemed to suction right back on. Maybe I’m just being paranoid. Thank you so much for your help!

Is this a new tank?  If you are going through your cycle then the swings are going to do some serious damage to inverts and most won't make it through.  You can get more aggressive with water changes to make it easier on things in there.

• Thanks 1
anniebanana267
On 4/4/2018 at 10:17 PM, mndfreeze said:

Is this a new tank?  If you are going through your cycle then the swings are going to do some serious damage to inverts and most won't make it through.  You can get more aggressive with water changes to make it easier on things in there.

yes, unfortunately I think that may have been the case. my ammonia had just reached 0 but my nitrite was very high still. 

unfortunately I wasn't being paranoid. stommy 2 died the day after stommy 1, same symptoms. I have no other inverts, only 3 fish. a damsel, a clownfish, and a chromis. but I'm going to stay away from purchasing anything until my cycle is completely done.

thank you so so much for all your help. :)

You really shouldn't even have fish in during your cycle either, but yeah you definitely need to hold off on more live stock until its totally done.