Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bohannon's IM20 Reef

BohannonReef

BohannonReef

Nothing innovative here......well actually a lot of it is Innovative Marine. Alas, it is another IM20 thread. Cycle started on March 24th 2018. Give me any feedback or advice you would like. Happy reefing folks!

Tank Shot 3.30.2018                 5ac2ad470d8c9_PhonePhotos2018-03-30005.thumb.jpg.1168ffcf6cb57b674fc4eaa08f277271.jpg

Equipment used

• Innovative Marine Fusion 20 gallon
  • Innovative Marine Nuvo APS stand
  • Current USA Orbit (until my Nanobox Duo arrives)
  • Nanobox Duo plus M
  • 2x inTank filter basket
  • Innovative Marine Chaetomax refugium light
  • Icecap 1k Gyre
  • 2x Spinstream nozzle (The Gyre made them click like crazy)
  • Stock return pump
  • Cobalt Neo-therm 100 Watt Heater
  • ReefCleaners rock (10-15 lbs or so)
  • 10 lbs special grade Arag-alive sand
  • 5 lbs Ocean Direct original grade sand
  • Like 1

I would throw some live rock in there to get things going biologically.  I just purchased an IM 20 as well and plan to use all un-cured live rock; its very cool to take it slow with live rock and see what develops just on the rock before you start adding macro creatures and your tank will be much more stable to boot.

• Thanks 1
BohannonReef
On 4/2/2018 at 11:31 PM, Zuma said:

I would throw some live rock in there to get things going biologically.  I just purchased an IM 20 as well and plan to use all un-cured live rock; its very cool to take it slow with live rock and see what develops just on the rock before you start adding macro creatures and your tank will be much more stable to boot.

Thanks! I have some live rock in one of the chambers in the back.

BohannonReef

I think my cycle is coming to an end soon. I tested things this afternoon and the ammonia is down from 2.0 to .5

Looking forward to putting the first fish in hopefully this week.

BohannonReef

All right! I tested the water today and there is no ammonia or nitrites showing up anymore and about 5-10 ppm nitrates. Probably gonna drop a fish in on my next day off work.

• Like 1
BohannonReef

Great news and not so great news. Let's start with the good stuff. Tests continued coming back with the results showing it was time for a fish, so I got one! A gorgeous little almost naked clown with 3 small spots. Now on to the bad, my phone broke and I cannot take a pic. Booooo! Pretty soon I should have more to post once I get a new phone.

The Chaetomax is working wonders. I got a some chaeto in the first chamber about a week ago and it went from a golf ball to a tennis ball VERY fast. I also added some Marinepure 1.5" spheres to one of the rear chambers of the tank to add some more surface area since the display rock is a bit sparse.

Edited for even better news: The Nanobox shipped!

BohannonReef

I'm still undecided on flow options. I'm stuck between the Tunze 6040 or the new Icecap Gyre 1k. Im planning on keeping this tank as a LPS / softy tank for the most part so I think the Gyre might be overkill for such a small tank even though it says 20 to 50 gal. I have very little experience with either pump honestly but the Tunze came recommended from my LFS.

BohannonReef

The light is here and it is wonderful! Big thanks to Dave over at Nanobox Reef for hooking me up. Pics will go up monday when I hopefully have a new phone.

BohannonReef

Finally! Got a new phone today (still crappy but at least it takes pics). I ended up going with the Icecap 1k Gyre. I have it running on 10-20% with random intervals and it seems to be a perfect fit. I have to cut the mesh lid of the tank a bit to allow the cable to go through which I did not think about.

Also I added my first coral to the tank in the form of some orange zoas with green skirts. I did not catch the name at the store. Once they open up fully I will snap another pic.

Tank 4.16.2018.jpg

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

Chugging along nicely! 

I like your rock placement, esp if you plan on adding LPS. They need some vertical space for their floweyness lol. 

• Like 1
BohannonReef
6 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Chugging along nicely! 

I like your rock placement, esp if you plan on adding LPS. They need some vertical space for their floweyness lol. 

I have somewhat of a plan on corals and placement so far although things will change for sure. I'm going to be lining the bottom of the rocks with zoa glued rubble. The left rock is going to be mainly covered with chalices I think. The right rock is acans. I will be getting a frag mag for the space on the wall between the two rocks for a euphylia of some type. Again, this is all loose and i'm sure will change.

• Like 1

Hi Bohannon, 

Any chance you can get a good shot of the Chaeto with the chaetomax light?  I am trying to set up something very similar and could use a visual.

-Ceres

BohannonReef
5 hours ago, CeresReef said:

Hi Bohannon, 

Any chance you can get a good shot of the Chaeto with the chaetomax light?  I am trying to set up something very similar and could use a visual.

-Ceres

Please excuse the nasty poly filter. I'm not changing it quite yet while the nitrifying bacteria gets established.

chaeto1.jpg

chaeto2.jpg

• Like 1
BohannonReef

5ad65cdad1fbf_Zoa14_17_2018.thumb.jpg.5903e50b5e2c18f27e8d585c0d4f0315.jpg

The new zoas are open this morning and looking fairly happy. Ready to start moving some more frags in. I may just go to the LFS here in a minute. :)

• Like 1
BohannonReef
1 hour ago, Kdrof said:

Nice! Just started my cycle a week ago. Cant wait to get to where you are at :). Lookin good.

I don’t know....I could still stare at the rock in my tank for hours ??

Haha.... I love the theme!  90% of the time people laugh me off as borderline alcoholic, but April my birthday rolls around and now my fridge is stocked with so many unique beers as people try to gift me something I have never tried.   Once a year my fridge is more stocked than my appetite.

Can't wait for those pics! I hope it is frags mounted blatantly sideways from over-indulgence. 

• Haha 1
BohannonReef

I’m on a fancy sour beer kick. I can’t get enough of that funky wild stuff.

I wish I had the money to go overboard with frags but my tax refund ran out. I’ll take some crappy phone pics when I get home. Still looking around pawn shops for a decent camera.

BohannonReef

I’m letting the frags sit on the sand for a few more days before moving them into place.

I added some snails as well. I was able to grab 3 trochus, 4 cerith, and 4 dwarf cerith.

Im done stocking for at least a couple weeks while the tank matures a touch.

• 2 weeks later...
BohannonReef

Thank goodness...

I’ve had this chalice that was receding that I got for 5 bucks from my lfs. It finally ate last night. Hoping it recovers soon.

On this upcoming Monday I will be gluing the frags in place and taking a new fts.