Innovative Marine Aquariums

2g for sexy shrimp

Melfy77

So I found a 2 gallon tank (12×7×7) I think. I already have 2 nano tanks, but was missing something really small. I've been wanting sexy shrimp for some time, and figured this tank would be perfect for them!! I want to keep it super simple, and low cost. So here's what I got

https://www.amazon.ca/NICREW-Aquarium-Light-Extendable-Brackets/dp/B0191EWII2

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B076J8KDDK/ref=pd_aw_sim_199_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S9XHYZ8P70YRY6XT0HNE&dpPl=1&dpID=61%2BPSEvU%2B2L

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/your-account/ship-track/ref=oh_aui_i_sh_post_o0?ie=UTF8&itemId=jokjnrpunlsvon&orderId=702-4283462-0020215&packageIndex=0&shipmentId=DwwdS6fdk

I'm thinking the flow might not be enough, so if that's the case i'll see if i'm better off getting a bigger filter or a small powerhead like the hydor 180. Trying to avoid the wirlpool lol. 

I took some LR from my established nano. I'm gonna let this run and test just in case but i'm not really expecting an actual cycle. 

What I'm planning to add:

Sexy shrimp (i was thinking 5)

Maxi mini carpet anemones

1 ou 2 snails

Some hermit crabs.

Some macroalgae (i've got some nice red one so might use some of it)

And that's it. No fish, low bioload, and weekly waterchanges.

Here's a pic. Filter (borrowed from my 8 gallon tank) and heater (use for my waterchanges) are temporary until the stuff gets here.

and I was actually wondering, a few weeks ago I got back from work at 1am (joys of nurse schedule lol) and looked at my 8g. And there they were, dozens of tiny snails!!!! :blink: on the glass!!. And they are still there ( a few of them actually got transferred in the pico, along with some tiny seastars. What could they be? About 3-4 mm, white, shell kind roundish. But hey free algae eater i'm not gonna complain:D

20180401_215321.jpg

• Like 1

Alright so tank is up and running (basically put some LR from my tank with some water lol). So I got 3 sexy shrimp with 3 blue legged hermit crabs and some chaeto. I was hoping to get a rock flower anemone but the LFS only had some super fancy one at 150$...so I said thanks but no thanks lol. They should be getting some basic one in 2-3 weeks so we'll see.

20180402_184924.jpg

• Like 1

It's an interesting tank, for sure!

Kind of a strange mix between freshwater and saltwater decor, but it has it's own charm. How's the light treating you? I looked at that light when I had my 2.5 gallon running, and decided against it due to the price and color.

RustyRocket

Hows the temperature fluctuations? I have a 2G too and was thinking about doing the same thing with Sexys and Rock flower anemones. But since its a shallow, the temp rocks from 70 to 77 with my preset heater (nothing else will fit). So i decided against it.

What preset heater were you using? I've used one of the cheap 10 gallon Tetra heaters before in a 2.5, and it kept it at a steady 76F. Even the Petsmart generic did a decent job.

Tank looks good! Sexy's are fun. I'd say your flow from the AC is fine, as long as you don't have film on the surface. I just came out of hibernation myself from reefing and am back with a 3 gallon Picotope with 7 sexy's, a pom pom, an anemone shrimp, and 4 porcelains. Similar setup to yourself, so we can definitely share experiences!

• Like 1
RustyRocket
16 hours ago, Lorekeeper said:

What preset heater were you using? I've used one of the cheap 10 gallon Tetra heaters before in a 2.5, and it kept it at a steady 76F. Even the Petsmart generic did a decent job.

I use the Aquatop Preset Heater. https://www.amazon.com/AquaTop-Watt-Pre-set-Aquarium-Heater/dp/B01MF5FV1B

I duno, maybe I just have a dud unit. Maybe my biggest downfall is because its right next to the window. 

15 hours ago, Fish_Wiz said:

Tank looks good! Sexy's are fun. I'd say your flow from the AC is fine, as long as you don't have film on the surface. I just came out of hibernation myself from reefing and am back with a 3 gallon Picotope with 7 sexy's, a pom pom, an anemone shrimp, and 4 porcelains. Similar setup to yourself, so we can definitely share experiences!

This is awesome! I'll be following your thread! 

This was my set up before taking it down since I couldnt keep it stable enough. I might relocate it and go zoas and sexys instead. What do you guys think?

IMG_7203.jpg

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, RustyRocket said:

This was my set up before taking it down since I couldnt keep it stable enough. I might relocate it and go zoas and sexys instead. What do you guys think?

IMG_7203.jpg

If sexy's are the plan, I'd still suggest some kind of anemone. While they don't require one to survive, after seeing them interact with all my RFA and maxi-mini's I'll never not have one without some kind of anemone. 

RustyRocket
6 minutes ago, Fish_Wiz said:

If sexy's are the plan, I'd still suggest some kind of anemone. While they don't require one to survive, after seeing them interact with all my RFA and maxi-mini's I'll never not have one without some kind of anemone. 

I was thinking only zoa would be able to take the fluctuations but I also remember El Fab use to mention his Sexies would munch on the skirts of the zoas if not fed well. Hmm...you might be right on this one. What do they do thats different/special behaviorally speaking? and How hardy are the RFA? 

Sorry for the hi-jack Lore

1 minute ago, RustyRocket said:

I was thinking only zoa would be able to take the fluctuations but I also remember El Fab use to mention his Sexies would munch on the skirts of the zoas if not fed well. Hmm...you might be right on this one. What do they do thats different/special behaviorally speaking? and How hardy are the RFA? 

Sorry for the hi-jack Lore

Yes, my sexy's will nip at ANYTHING polyp-ie, I have some zoa's and blasto's and they like to peck it here and there. RFA especially the lower grade ones, are virtually bulletproof. I'd say the same for Maxi-mini's too. To be honest I have one rather mid-grade RFA and it's been hardy but because of the price, I would not want to risk killing it by pushing its limits lol

Love the different tanks:D i will be adding some anemone over the next weeks my lfs didn't have an affordable one lol. Temp is fine for the time being. I live in montreal so heat is usually not too problematic. I got the heater from amazon it had good reviews so decided to try it

I would also stay away from zoas since sexies do have the reputation to enjoy snacking on them;)

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Lorekeeper said:

It's an interesting tank, for sure!

Kind of a strange mix between freshwater and saltwater decor, but it has it's own charm. How's the light treating you? I looked at that light when I had my 2.5 gallon running, and decided against it due to the price and color.

Haha yeah my kids were pretty happy about the boat and my youngest helped choosing the gravel. I didn't want sand or crushed coral and this one is totally safe for saltwater. I love the light! I was worried it'd be too yellow but nope! I'm ok with it. For 20$ i'm not gonna complain:lol:

Nice!

I've been running most of my tanks barebottom for ease of cleaning, but I'm sorta missing the look of a good substrate. Might set up a jar or something with just macros and a snail and some sand.

As long as it works for ya, great! Seems pretty bright, and it might even support some softies (although the color would be pretty bland).

22 minutes ago, Lorekeeper said:

Nice!

I've been running most of my tanks barebottom for ease of cleaning, but I'm sorta missing the look of a good substrate. Might set up a jar or something with just macros and a snail and some sand.

As long as it works for ya, great! Seems pretty bright, and it might even support some softies (although the color would be pretty bland).

I'm gonna try some RFA or maxi mini. Apparently they don't need that much light so we'll see!

2 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

I'm gonna try some RFA or maxi mini. Apparently they don't need that much light so we'll see!

You should be fine with your light, it may not look blue like show tanks but it will work. I used a similar light in the beginning of my pico, Finnex Ray2, the wattage is about the same. Only upgraded to the AI Prime so I could get some color as my old light was washing out the color.

On 4/5/2018 at 2:01 PM, RustyRocket said:

I use the Aquatop Preset Heater. https://www.amazon.com/AquaTop-Watt-Pre-set-Aquarium-Heater/dp/B01MF5FV1B

I duno, maybe I just have a dud unit. Maybe my biggest downfall is because its right next to the window. 

IMG_7203.jpg

If you set it back up, look into the 25w Archea heater carried by Aqua Forest Aquariums.  It is similar in size to the one you linked but has an external thermostat.  I've used it on a 5.5 for a year and a 3 gallon jar for six months and never had any temperature issues.

RustyRocket
8 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

If you set it back up, look into the 25w Archea heater carried by Aqua Forest Aquariums.  It is similar in size to the one you linked but has an external thermostat.  I've used it on a 5.5 for a year and a 3 gallon jar for six months and never had any temperature issues.

Thanks for the tip Lula! Their store front is just across the road from me too, i got the tank was from them. Cant believe I didn't even think of their heaters...I'm an idiot:rolleyes:

• Like 1
On 5-4-2018 at 8:01 PM, RustyRocket said:

IMG_7203.jpg

Oh nice to see an ada dooa tank here, because I really like the elevated bottom of it. What is cylinder with the pebbles you mountrd on top of it? What made it go unstable?

Tank is doing good. Added some fake coral my kids chose:D shrimp seem to like it lol. Getting some algae so time for a snail or 2!!! Next week I'm gonna try to find some anemone for the shrimp. I'm also switching my 8g to a fusion 10 IM so the AC 20 will go on the pico:)

20180414_133913.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good! The coral definitely adds a look to it lmao.

Looking into a rock flower anenome, or something a bit bigger? I've been considering getting a couple RFAs and a couple of porcelain crabs for my 5.5 gallon.

Just now, Lorekeeper said:

Looking good! The coral definitely adds a look to it lmao.

Looking into a rock flower anenome, or something a bit bigger? I've been considering getting a couple RFAs and a couple of porcelain crabs for my 5.5 gallon.

Either some RFA or maxi mini:D

• Like 1