Pod Your Reef

Fluval Spec 3 Pico

Wafflecopter

Wafflecopter

So I've recently gotten back into reefing after having to give it up after the fiance said it had to go. I just started another one and had a quick question about the light. In my research I came across claims that the stock light of the latest version of the spec 3 gave par of 60 at the bottom and 150 at the top. Can anybody confirm this? I ordered a couple nice zoa frags that will be here in about a week. So far cycling went quick and easy with using live sand and live rock. Dont plan on any fish and im not sure about any shrimp. I fell in love with corals so this will most likely be a coral only system specifically zoas and mushrooms. Any tips on making this a success?

15226334285531372723731.jpg

• Like 1

I am pretty sure the light that is with the spec 3 is a freshwater light, it would more than likely be good enough for very easy soft corals, however I would reccomend looking into a par 38 bulb with a gooseneck and you'll be golden. Something else with the mushrooms, just be careful because when they get established they will spread like wildfire. If this was my tank I would go with just zoas, see how many I could cram in and a few sexy shrimp as they are so cool. Good luck with the tank.

Wafflecopter

So ill be okay with that light for my zoas? I didnt realize mushrooms spread that quickly. I knew gsp and xenia would take over quickly. Thats good to know thanks.

It might be ok, but it will not be ideal, they will defiently be missing some colour. I mean try it with some cheaper zoas and see what happens.

My tip: don't move it once water is in it. I had this tank and it started a slow leak along one of the front seams after about 8 months. The leak got completely out of control after 12 months. Had to transfer to a new tank. I'm pretty sure the leak started because I wasn't happy with the first...or second location. It's tempting and easy to move it with some water, but I wouldn't! It's a pain to transfer a thriving tank!

Wafflecopter
1 hour ago, dawz2 said:

My tip: don't move it once water is in it. I had this tank and it started a slow leak along one of the front seams after about 8 months. The leak got completely out of control after 12 months. Had to transfer to a new tank. I'm pretty sure the leak started because I wasn't happy with the first...or second location. It's tempting and easy to move it with some water, but I wouldn't! It's a pain to transfer a thriving tank!

Thats what ive heard about moving filled tank is that problems happen easily. Fortunately im happy with the location and the stand its on is quite mobile. I plan to set up a 20 gallon or bigger by the end of summer.

• Like 1

If you can't find a gooseneck you can also use a desktop task lamp, which is what I use.  And yes, definitely don't move the tank with water in it lol.

• 2 months later...
Wafflecopter

So heres an update after a few months. No new corals but I have added an emerald crab. The zoas have sprouted 4 new heads and the hammer is in the process of splitting into two heads. I have had a hair algae problem and I dont know why as I do bi weekly 2 gallon water changes. Aside from it being an eyesore it doesnt appear to be hurting the coral. Glad to see the fast growth of the coral over the past few months.

20180706_191745.jpg

20180706_191757.jpg

20180706_191809.jpg

• Like 1