• fishfreak0114
    • ChristopherDido
    • teenyreef
    • natalia_la_loca
    • MedievalITGuy
    • hinnenkm
    • ajmckay

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/09/2018 at 07:00 PM

8 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

This needs to come back for 2019

i have some plans🤯

That contest was so much fun.  I would definitely participate again.  I still have my 3 gallon cookie jar.

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
18 hours ago, seabass said:

There are some things that I might have done differently.  I'd probably be willing to do another build as a do over.  But without the push of a contest (not that I'm ever competitive), I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't start another pico.

Maybe even less restrictions, except for total size.  All containers (even goldfish and betta bowls) allowed, any equipment (even sumps), and no budget.  Although I'm thinking of something really ghetto (if that's still politically correct to say).

Same but I would build it instead of buying with integrated filter of an AIO

Christopher Marks

What kind of parameters should we set for the next one? It might be cool if everyone had the same container, and the rest of the equipment was left open. All cookie jars? A classic 2.5gal glass tank? Bowls only? 

• Like 5
This guy is extra salty
19 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

What kind of parameters should we set for the next one? It might be cool if everyone had the same container, and the rest of the equipment was left open. All cookie jars? A classic 2.5gal glass tank? Bowls only? 

I think a unique container..

@Christopher Marks trying to rule me out cause of my access to acrylics 😂 

• Haha 1

with the # of potential participants, I would be concerned it would get repetitive and boring if everyone was forced to have the same container. there's only so much that can be done...

with that said, I have a couple ideas:

- set a fixed capacity...well, range, like 3 - 4 gallons since it's hard to find fixed volumes across all the different options available, but let them figure out how they wanted to use that volume. if they wanted a 2 gallon tank and 2 gallon sump/refugium, let them.

- let anyone use whatever they want for the tank...bowl, jar or aquarium, as long as it fits the agreed definition of pico

- rather than limit the equipment, set a maximum budget (above/beyond the cost of the tank) for them to choose their pumps, lighting, heating, filters, ATO's, etc.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I like the idea of everyone having the same container this go around since we had the option of being creative the last time.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

I think it'd be awesome to have everybody do a standard goldfish or betta bowl.  People normally don't think of freshwater fish bowls as reef tanks.  Just imagine what we could come up with.  There are lots to choose from in the 1 to 3 gallon range.  We could either standardize on one, or leave it open (as long as it's marketed as a fish bowl).

• Like 1
1 minute ago, seabass said:

I think it'd be awesome to have everybody do a standard goldfish or betta bowl.  People normally don't think of freshwater fish bowls as reef tanks.  Just imagine what we could come up with.  There are lots to choose from in the 1 to 3 gallon range.  We could either standardize on one, or leave it open (as long as it's marketed as a fish bowl).

I could get behind the fishbowl idea...more options to customize than a jar.  🙂 

2 hours ago, JBM said:

I like this idea. 

I would want a bit bigger...4 gallon cube or cylinder/bowl, if such a cylinder/bowl exists.

found a 10 gallon on Aliexpress...but at $92 is a bit steep in price!

p

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

A small tank from one of our sponsors? Since they always supporting us with prizes here. Maybe that is too steep though?

I like the idea of just standardizing on set capacity/volume n let everyone choose what will become their tank. perhaps a discussion thread should be created and then put together some multiple choice polls on specific matters an idea and then a poll we can only choose one to lock it in?

• Like 3
This guy is extra salty
On 2/1/2019 at 6:40 PM, Friendly said:

p

I like the idea of just standardizing on set capacity/volume n let everyone choose what will become their tank. perhaps a discussion thread should be created and then put together some multiple choice polls on specific matters an idea and then a poll we can only choose one to lock it in?

I think a just standard 5g or less (volume) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, KISReef said:

BREAKING NEWS!

There has been whispers around Nano-Reef that the "Russians" interfered in this vote and influenced it's outcome. 

well, if it wasn't for Chris having the unsecured email server, we wouldn't have had these problems in the first place...  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic