Innovative Marine Aquariums

Filtering Dilemma

robertsdalton

robertsdalton

Obviously everyone wants to keep their water as pristine & healthy as they can for their corals & fish. Recently I’ve been wondering what the best way to do this is. My tank has an integrated filter which currently has things in this order: filter pad, Chemipure blue nano, and return pump. I want to add chaeto to help with nutrients & also help grow the copepod population. Would it work if I were to add chaeto to the filter in this order: filter pad, chaeto, Chemipure blue, return pump? My LED covers the whole filter space so lighting for chaeto wouldn’t be a problem. Just wondering if this would work in a biological sense.

Or would I need to confine the chaeto to a space of its own? I could buy a small hob filter & put only chaeto in the media space.

Woukd either of these work to keep my water healthy & help grow pods?

burtbollinger
3 minutes ago, robertsdalton said:

My LED covers the whole filter space so lighting for chaeto wouldn’t be a problem

growing chaeto with the offspill from marine LED lighting in a nano reef tank...my vibe is that its going to not be that effective.

robertsdalton
4 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

growing chaeto with the offspill from marine LED lighting in a nano reef tank...my vibe is that its going to not be that effective.

Any ideas on what lighting would be necessary?

34 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

your vibe would be incorrect

Currently running a 5.5g tank with a whisper 20 hob filter. The only thing in that hob filter is chaeto. My chaeto gets it's light from the ABI par38 bulb that's hung 18" above the tank. While I don't double my chaeto size every week. Every 2-3 weeks I harvest a baseball size chunk, leaving about the size of a ping pong ball.

phosphate undetectable

nitrate less then 5ppm

• Like 1
18 hours ago, burtbollinger said:

I agree . I can see how the other poster could grow it in hob, but you said something about having a filter pad on top.. that would block the light from the chaeto.. 

• Like 1

Another thought too is .. I want to run my light on my fuge a lot longer than I want to run my display light that way I can maximize the amount of nutrient consummation..