Coral Vue Hydros

Proposed ban on corals with palytoxin

seabass

I don't believe that xenia contains palytoxin.  The poison was identified by the hobbyist?  That sounds legit.  I don't doubt that they were exposed to palytoxin, just that xenia was the source.

I don't know, but I think that I'd have heard about it before, if that were really a problem.  My guess is that he also had some palythoas that he brushed.

The story does, however, help demonstrate the dangers of palytoxin.  It's nothing to mess around with.  The danger is real, but my fake story about a retail ban was not.

• Like 2

One difference is that Palythoa aren't unpredictable like snakes.  Within your aquarium, they pose practically no danger at all.  The danger occurs when they are ingested, exposed to cuts (or other unprotected areas of the body like the eyes), or dispersed into the air (like from boiling or brushing).

There are lots of dangers in our homes; anything from laundry packets to drain cleaner.  Improper use of common products can kill you.  Maybe the main difference with coral is the lack of labeling.  I can imagine that printed warnings may be required sometime in the future.  Who knows, maybe someday my fake news will become a reality. :unsure:

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

One difference is that Palythoa aren't unpredictable like snakes.  Within your aquarium, they pose practically no danger at all.  The danger occurs when they are ingested, exposed to cuts (or other unprotected areas of the body like the eyes), or dispersed into the air (like from boiling or brushing).

There are lots of dangers in our homes; anything from laundry packets to drain cleaner.  Improper use of common products can kill you.  Maybe the main difference with coral is the lack of labeling.  I can imagine that printed warnings may be required sometime in the future.  Who knows, maybe someday my fake news will become a reality. :unsure:

I'm surprised that coral sellers don't have general warning labels anyway. (maybe they do and I've not noticed) You are taking in an animal attached to rock from an alien environment that can have all manner of toxins, poisonous critters, or bacteria stowing away on them. That said, people are rarely seriously hurt. Sticking your hand into a bucket of water full of electronics is way riskier.

• Like 3
CarolinaShoreReef
25 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Just reminding people that this was not an April fools thread, and a serious discussion about palyotoxin. 

Say that again? 

15 hours ago, seabass said:

I don't believe that xenia contains palytoxin.  The poison was identified by the hobbyist?  That sounds legit.  I don't doubt that they were exposed to palytoxin, just that xenia was the source.

I don't know, but I think that I'd have heard about it before, if that were really a problem.  My guess is that he also had some palythoas that he brushed.

The story does, however, help demonstrate the dangers of palytoxin.  It's nothing to mess around with.  The danger is real, but my fake story about a retail ban was not.

I've never heard of xenia having paly toxin either. 

So far on this forum and others - no one has.

I tried finding legit info and couldn't find a source stating there is paly toxin in xenia.

I did find a site that listed the various incidents recorded on paly toxin poisoning and how it had occurred and the effects on the human.

It did go into detail on soft corals and toxins within them but it never stated the toxin was paly toxin.

I don't doubt the family had poisoning as it does sound like paly toxin but I don't think it was from xenia.

• Like 1