inTank Media Baskets

A Journey in a jar.

kspain12

2 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

You could try running the test on new salt water just to make sure it's working properly. 

I will try that tonight! I guess if my tests are reading correctly I should wait until I read zero Ammonia and Nitrites 24 hours after dosing the Ammonium chloride.

9 hours ago, kspain12 said:

I will try that tonight! I guess if my tests are reading correctly I should wait until I read zero Ammonia and Nitrites 24 hours after dosing the Ammonium chloride.

That's right. I've had similar experiences with the API ammonia test kit - even zero ammonia usually shows up with some color. But when I've used Salifert, zero ammonia was always no color. So it sounds like you may still be cycling. 

So heres what I’m dealing with. The first picture is my ammonia test result. My test kit arrived to me without a color chart:furious: so I downloaded a chart to my phone. I took @teenyreef‘s advice and ran my tests with RO water to see what zero readings actually look like. This test result definitely reflects ammonia in the system, this reading is 48 hours(give or take a few) after dosing ammonium chloride to 2ppm. While it may be a low reading, it’s still there. 

The second picture is my Nitrite test results after the 48 hour wait. It looks like about 0.5. The last picture is my nitrate test results. It may be reading at 25. I’m not too sure. Any input on how this cycle may be doing would be appreciated. Thanks. 

8883DA6A-0519-413F-AB41-D379FAB42DD1.jpeg

175CE55A-8F44-425E-AFCF-9FA10AE28D71.jpeg

E8C14384-A9D5-4FF4-A1E7-B8C817B5ABBF.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a full jar shot. Got some frags in the jar on Saturday! Candy cane, rainbow acans, utter chaos Zoas, and a green acro frag. I will be adding more gradually. Excited to watch it grow! 

0E5C34D0-475F-465E-BB50-8D93F0D6A090.jpeg

• Like 5
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:22 PM, Lorekeeper said:

Loving it so far!

Thank you! Me too! Everything is fluffy and happy! Not having to test this jar everyday is nice!

On 4/10/2018 at 9:23 AM, kspain12 said:

Hi:lol:. Thank you! I have had tons of help from all of the contest threads! I love the coral selection also! I would like to keep rics in my jar, the only way I could see getting them is buying online. (I am very weary about it):wacko:. I don't have the greatest selection where I live, and no big conventions to snag frags at lol. It sucks:(

I know what you mean about limited selection locally, I've had that problem most of my reefing life lol. I have usually had good experiences ordering online. Many easy corals are very hardy in shipping. I even had some blastos survive the weekend in a UPS truck when UPS made an oops.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

It’s been a while since my last update. Work Work Work. Not neglecting my jar though! Just haven’t added anything new quite yet. My utter chaos Zoas have 4 new heads, my acans are around the same, the candy cane heads have all split! The poor stag frag up top has been broken in about 4 places due to my hands bumping it during maintenance. It scared me for a while, no polyp extension. But it’s making a good comeback. Polyps are back out! And I can see new growth. Everything is doing fine! I have a bit of GHA that gets annoying frequently, currently in the market for a Stomatella. Should be adding new frags in the next month or so. 

73C923B0-689D-4492-8F5F-24F2BE1491EE.jpeg

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Glad you checked in @kspain12, it sounds like things are progressing well with good coral growth. How are you feeling about the maintenance routine for your reef jar?

Things are going well! The maintenance is easy and quick usually. I take more time to manicure the frag plugs with the GHA sometimes, but other than that I do a 100% weekly water change and all is happy. I have TONS of Spirorbidea in my jar, everything that I have read indicated that this isn't necessarily a bad thing, so sometimes I scrape them off, some of them even tried to form on my stag acro!! I also feed Benepets Benereef 2 hours before the WC and my corals couldn't be happier. I am beyond thrilled to see steady coral growth in this jar. Now to find ONE Stomatella to keep everything nice and clean and im set!

• Like 2