SaltCritters.com

Griever's 50G Lagoon Tank - Leng Sy Close Up

Griever

The water tank came from Amazon! Makes water changes super fast, less than 10 minutes. Should only have to mix saltwater once a quarter if I do weekly changes. 

I imagine the algae is from the phosphates in my dry rock leaching, since I haven't been feeding heavy and I'm running Chemipure Blue which has GFO in it. I'll give it a few days to see if it gets better before doing anything drastic. 

Thanks for the kind words. Can't wait for the tank to get more established so I can add some anemones and some SPS. 

5 hours ago, Griever said:

Play it, and work on it. 🙂

Nice! I am a plat border been playing since BETA. :)

I can say that no other game has kept my attention for this long. It gets frustrating at times cause it can be so toxic. 

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I've posted pictures! I've since added some Acroporas and Zoas from AquaSD and a green BTA I picked up from the LFS.

I've also been playing around with photo mode on the NanoBox and an orange filter for my phone camera.

MVIMG_20180702_140117.jpg

MVIMG_20180702_135806.jpg

• Like 2

Think I've nailed the settings on the NanoBox's photo mode and my phone's camera to come as close as possible to how it looks in real life. 

IMG_20180705_210716.jpg

• Like 3

Looks great! I just bookmarked your shopping list from 80/20, because I'm getting tired of my light hanging system for my wide quad (a stick of wood screwed into the shelv above the tank :lol:). But hey, at least I stained the stick. And it's dark up there so it's hard to see anyway. But I love the mount you built, it's very clean looking.

• Thanks 1
mitten_reef
On 5/21/2018 at 11:16 PM, Griever said:

Order from 80/20 finally showed up. No more Nanobox sitting on top of two planks of wood for me. Ended up making a cradle for the lights because I didn't fully trust the hanging hardware.

MVIMG_20180521_200256.jpg

MVIMG_20180521_200320.jpg

MVIMG_20180521_200340.jpg

OK,

so my 8020 order arrived yesterday. holy cow, those aluminum bars are THICK.  Which brings me to, I didn't specify them to be drilled to mount on the wall/stud.  Did you drill it yourself?  If so, did you have to use any special bits?  I just have those all-purpose dewalt bits, but could easily grab a metal bit if you'd recommend.

Thanks for sharing the part list, can't wait to put this thing together.

1 minute ago, micoastreefing said:

OK,

so my 8020 order arrived yesterday. holy cow, those aluminum bars are THICK.  Which brings me to, I didn't specify them to be drilled to mount on the wall/stud.  Did you drill it yourself?  If so, did you have to use any special bits?  I just have those all-purpose dewalt bits, but could easily grab a metal bit if you'd recommend.

Thanks for sharing the part list, can't wait to put this thing together.

Hah! I should have mentioned this. I just used high strength rated construction adhesive to mount it to the wall and it's been plenty strong enough. I ended up doing this because I didn't have the right size carbide bit and snapped a cheapo bit in my press. You should be able to drill it with any carbide bit tho if you have a drill press or a jig to keep it steady, just don't use a bit designed for wood on it like I did... 😛

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to see some great growth on my SPS, Zoas, and Frogspawn. Everything appears happy now that the algae has been under control for a few weeks. Oddly enough things seem to be doing better with the skimmer off. Any ideas why?

MVIMG_20180726_203027.jpg

MVIMG_20180726_203138.jpg

mitten_reef
33 minutes ago, Griever said:

Starting to see some great growth on my SPS, Zoas, and Frogspawn. Everything appears happy now that the algae has been under control for a few weeks. Oddly enough things seem to be doing better with the skimmer off. Any ideas why?

MVIMG_20180726_203027.jpg

MVIMG_20180726_203138.jpg

With the skimmer on and the tank being so  clean and no sandbed to trap any nasties, your nutrients may be too low?  The corals enjoy a little nitrate and phosphate, you just can’t have it in excess to start feeding the algae 😄.  And since you mentioned the algae subsided, it led me to my conclusion. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

With the skimmer on and the tank being so  clean and no sandbed to trap any nasties, your nutrients may be too low?  The corals enjoy a little nitrate and phosphate, you just can’t have it in excess to start feeding the algae 😄.  And since you mentioned the algae subsided, it led me to my conclusion. 

Yeah that's what I was thinking, as well as pulling out beneficial bacteria in the water column that are using up the nutrients. When I was skimming all the time I was starting to have Cyano and Algae problems, now that I've had it off for a while after doing a Chemi-clean dose, the hair/grey algae is all but gone. Or it could just also be all the Phosphates have all finally leached from the rock. Who knows, my tests have never shown detectable levels of phosphates or nitrates, even when the nuisance algae was taking over.

Won't worry too much about it and just keep doing what seems to make the tank happy... 😄

• 2 weeks later...

New additions this weekend!

Added a Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse and a Naoko Fairy Wrasse. The Naoko is still mostly hiding, but the Solon is out and about. Very social. 

Also added a really nice Red BTA and a Gold Torch. All found at my LFS at really good prices, which is pretty rare around here. Enjoy the pictures!

MVIMG_20180805_124538.jpg

• Like 1

Both the Naoko and Solon Wrasses didn't make it. Freshwater dipped the bodies and didn't see any parasites, so most likely stress? Seems super odd since both were swimming around and each eating a day before they died. LFS wouldn't even offer me a small discount on replacements, so I'll be buying elsewhere in the future. 😤

In good news, everything else is doing awesome. Lots of encrusting and growth on the Acros, and I'm pretty sure the "red anemone" I picked up last weekend for $69 is actually a black widow. It's super bright red with a dark purple to black base with some blue highlights around the mouth. Pretty sweet deal if so!

MVIMG_20180811_130008.jpg

IMG_20180811_125323.jpg

MVIMG_20180811_125149.jpg

Latest FTS, and some updates!

Got tired of my blue sympodium frags blowing around and they refused to stay glued to the bottom glass so I cut a BPA free cutting board into a more organic shape and glued them to that. I'm hoping it'll form a nice carpet in the middle of the lagoon. 🙂

I also installed and calibrated a two-part doser, as my Alk was starting to dip pretty far between water changes. This should help keep things stable!

MVIMG_20180912_212158.jpg

MVIMG_20180912_212245.jpg

MVIMG_20180912_212507.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, markalot said:

Great job with the two part ... though I would prefer it if you got Alk down below 8 again.  :biggrin:

Working on it! Want to take it slow with any changes. 

Some bad news this morning... 😥

Last night I noticed that my Kole Tang's stomach was very bloated and he wasn't eating. It looked like a potential bowel obstruction so I put some nori on the clip and figured it would work itself out. This morning I woke up and the Tang was dead, my best guess is that the obstruction caused some sort of rupture which quickly killed him. He was perfectly happy and healthy less than 24 hours ago. Pretty sad, he had a ton of personality and was always out and about. This hobby can be rough sometimes...

• Sad 3