Top Shelf Aquatics

Griever's 50G Lagoon Tank - Leng Sy Close Up

Griever

• 5 weeks later...

Two weeks away from the tank visiting family and everything survived!

Only had one hiccup; the ATO got stuck on "too low" and the water level got so low the return pumps were just dumping bubbles into the tank. Luckily I caught it on the security camera I set up to have a view of the tank and had a friend able to run over and check it out for me. All he had to do is unplug it and plug it back in and it's been running perfectly. Never done this before either... Oh well, always at the worst time!

Still battling some diatoms and hair algae, but really happy with the state of the tank considering I was hands off for two weeks. Wife got me a cool magnification gizmo from Flipper for Christmas. Really let's you see the details!

LRM_EXPORT_269915669645756_20190101_114813156.jpeg

• Like 4
On 1/1/2019 at 5:48 PM, Griever said:

Two weeks away from the tank visiting family and everything survived!

Only had one hiccup; the ATO got stuck on "too low" and the water level got so low the return pumps were just dumping bubbles into the tank. Luckily I caught it on the security camera I set up to have a view of the tank and had a friend able to run over and check it out for me. All he had to do is unplug it and plug it back in and it's been running perfectly. Never done this before either... Oh well, always at the worst time!

Still battling some diatoms and hair algae, but really happy with the state of the tank considering I was hands off for two weeks. Wife got me a cool magnification gizmo from Flipper for Christmas. Really let's you see the details!

LRM_EXPORT_269915669645756_20190101_114813156.jpeg

Wow that's neat!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Griever said:

Finally pulled the trigger on a BattleBox! Got some awesome stuff. 🙂

MVIMG_20190109_101654.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_3373915916206_20190109_160128407.jpeg

Nice corals did adam pick them or did you select the ones you wanted? Man I have been wanting one of those so bad but have been waiting for the shipping season to slow down and maybe the snowy season to pass.. if you dont mind how much did that box cost ya??

• Like 2

Wow, that's a nice box of corals! Like @Weikel said, I'm also wondering which kind of box it was and what you asked for. I'd really like to get a box but I don't have any place to put more corals :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's the $300 box and all I told Adam was that I had a lack of blue, orange, and yellows in my tank and to do his worst! Overall really happy with what I ended up with. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I'd really like to get a box but I don't have any place to put more corals :rolleyes:

I've still got space in my tank if you need to evict anything to make room... just sayin! 😉

• Haha 1

Rented a PAR meter to dial in my lights (Shout out to http://nextlight.com for making the process super easy) and found out that at 80% max on my Nanobox I was a lot lower on PAR that I had expected. Here's the settings and readings for my tank (Light is a NanoBox Quad-Wide mounted about 7 inches above the water);

image.png.553e27050eac5b97d457922a30be72e0.png

Here's a top down photo with the PAR numbers;

image.thumb.png.705b77c0c3572a9bd17f5d6ebd2915ec.png

• Like 2

That looks about right based on when I did PAR measurements of the Wide Quad over my IM 40g. Mine were a little higher overall, but your tank is bigger than mine. I think your rockwork is very similar to mine as well - it looks like the highest point is in the upper left of the picture. That's why I have most of my sps perched on the top of those rocks in my tank. Btw, I'm running with blues at 100%, and whites at about 20%. 

I found the two extra T5's that I added made a huge difference. They increase the overall PAR just enough to make a difference in the coloration of the corals without having to crank up the white leds for more PAR, but more importantly, they helped provide a more even distribution of light so that I had a lot less shadowing.

In hindsight, I should have made the scape more like a pyramid with the highest point right in the middle of the tank where it could get the highest PAR from the LEDs 🙂

• Like 1
14 hours ago, teenyreef said:

That looks about right based on when I did PAR measurements of the Wide Quad over my IM 40g. Mine were a little higher overall, but your tank is bigger than mine. I think your rockwork is very similar to mine as well - it looks like the highest point is in the upper left of the picture. That's why I have most of my sps perched on the top of those rocks in my tank. Btw, I'm running with blues at 100%, and whites at about 20%. 

I found the two extra T5's that I added made a huge difference. They increase the overall PAR just enough to make a difference in the coloration of the corals without having to crank up the white leds for more PAR, but more importantly, they helped provide a more even distribution of light so that I had a lot less shadowing.

In hindsight, I should have made the scape more like a pyramid with the highest point right in the middle of the tank where it could get the highest PAR from the LEDs 🙂

How'd you mount the supplemental T5s? My tank is in the living room so overall look/cleanliness is really important. I've struggled with how I could add some T5 or LED bar supplements without it looking out of place.

Also, pyramid in the middle is boring! Need some artistic unbalance. 😉

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Griever said:

How'd you mount the supplemental T5s? My tank is in the living room so overall look/cleanliness is really important. I've struggled with how I could add some T5 or LED bar supplements without it looking out of place.

Also, pyramid in the middle is boring! Need some artistic unbalance. 😉

I have two single 24" T5 fixtures, and I did a home-brew mount by tapping some screw holes in two pieces of steel plate from the home center (about 1/4" x 1/16 x 10"). The plates are at right angles to the fixtures, making a square. The I just put the whole thing on top of the Wide Quad with the steel plates laying on the Quad and the fixtures just on either side.

And I agree, there's more to an appealing scape than the PAR values 🙂

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Met up with a local reefer today to trade away my Frogspawn, since it was starting to get too big for the spots I had open, and threatening to sting my SPS! He really hooked me up with some awesome Zoas.

LRM_EXPORT_76817422260413_20190127_171324832.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh, I also forgot I managed to trade locally for a frag of a true Leng Sy cap grown from one of Steve Tyree's. FTS too, since I don't think I've posted one yet this month. 

LRM_EXPORT_77214880094799_20190127_172002290.jpeg

LRM_EXPORT_77228172240133_20190127_172015582.jpeg

Realized today that I added my first corals about 6 months ago in late July to early August. Went back through my pictures to share how they've grown. Focused on the two acro colonies that have seen the most impressive growth, but it's also interesting to compare the two full tank shots and look at what's thrived, and what hasn't in the last six months. Enjoy!

Six Month Comparison of my PC Rainbow and my Unnamed Aqua SD Acro (I'm calling it mint chocolate chip due to the minty green color and dark brown polyps. It's hard to photograph)

6 Month Coral Growth.png

Feb 2019 FTS

Feb 2019 FTS.jpg

August FTS

August 2018 FTS.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Playing around with a new lens for my phone so I took a few pictures of my PC Rainbow and a new FTS for March. What do you think?

LRM_EXPORT_241877289388128_20190303_164246477.jpeg

LRM_EXPORT_241377415400936_20190303_163350412.jpeg

• Like 1