ReefCleaners.org

Griever's 50G Lagoon Tank - Leng Sy Close Up

Griever

I can't stop taking pictures of my Beach Bum Monti... I've been trying to accurately capture all the colors and this is by far the closest I've gotten. I think its my favorite coral in the tank. Can't wait to see it get huge. 

IMG_20191214_143226.jpg

• Like 2

This fish is a glamour model, look at this pose.

I really don't understand why these Spotbreast Swallowtail Angelfish (Genicanthus melanospilos) aren't more popular, it's by far my favorite fish. Super active, perfect temperament, not super expensive, and 100% reef safe. 

IMG_20191214_181543.jpg

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Griever said:

I can't stop taking pictures of my Beach Bum Monti... I've been trying to accurately capture all the colors and this is by far the closest I've gotten. I think its my favorite coral in the tank. Can't wait to see it get huge. 

IMG_20191214_143226.jpg

gotta say with all the crazy juiced up photos out there on the web, i was impressed when seeing this (and the kung pao) in-person at frag swaps EVERY TIME.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

gotta say with all the crazy juiced up photos out there on the web, i was impressed when seeing this (and the kung pao) in-person at frag swaps EVERY TIME.  

Yeah it's a stunner even under normal daytime lights. Definitely one of the brightest corals in the tank. 

• Like 1

I've been fighting a slow leak where my Alkalinity dosing line leaves the doser. My theory was that gravity was forcing the cheap plastic junction to leak, and even reinforcing with zip ties didn't stop the leak (though it did drastically slow it down). Then yesterday my Alk container decided to crack at the bottom... 🤦‍♂️

All was not lost though! Luckily I was able to contact Santa and negotiate the release of some presents early. 😉

Still getting things set up, but so far so good!

IMG_20191219_163951_MP.jpg

• Like 1

No more leaks with these bad boys. Plus I thought using plastic channel to keep the feed line from curling up was pretty clever.

IMG_20191220_185831_MP.jpg

IMG_20191220_185954_MP.jpg

Much cleaner looking now!

IMG_20191220_190858_MP.jpg

My Leng Sy Monti is finally showing signs of the spires that this specific lineage is known for. I'd read that not every tank can get them to grow like this so I'm pretty excited! Plus a few other bonus shots (one more of the Beach Bum, but only because it looks better every day)

IMG_20191221_144922.jpg

IMG_20191221_143355_MP.jpg

IMG_20191221_143327_MP.jpg

• Like 3

My gold torch was getting big enough to start stinging my green anemone so I had to shift the aquascape a little. I knew the torch had the meanest sting in the tank so I've kept it isolated on its own rock so I could move it in the future. So I got rid of the little archway on the right and now it's closer to the front all by itself. Kind of reminds me of a little bonsi tree, and you can see the Gorgs in the back a bit better. 

IMG_20191221_215031.jpg

Note the photo bomb of the new male Spotbreast Angelfish. My female has already been following him around and showing off her fins. He was the last of a trio at my LFS and they gave me an awesome deal so I had to go home with him. 🙂

Now for a side view! I'm hoping the green nem moves a bit lower away from the acros on the top of the ridge, so I adjusted the returns to encourage it to move lower, but you know how nems are. 

IMG_20191221_214929.jpg

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...

Hi @Griever! I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I love your desk setup. Was the desk custom? I would really like to do something similar but it's difficult to find furniture capable of holding a tank!

10 minutes ago, ~LadyBug~ said:

Hi @Griever! I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I love your desk setup. Was the desk custom? I would really like to do something similar but it's difficult to find furniture capable of holding a tank!

I have since relocated to a different city and bought the IM APS stand as a temporary stand until I buy a house again. 

I built that desk myself using Ikea components. It wasn't too difficult, but certainly more difficult than typical furniture assembly. If you're not handy, getting a contractor to help build it should be pretty easy. I think doing it myself it took maybe 2-3 days? People tend to way over engineer stands due to concerns about horizontal racking forces shifting the weight off the vertical supports. If the desk is built into the wall, you don't have to worry about that, and the compression strength of the ikea cabinets is MORE than enough to hold a 50+ gallon tank especially if the cabinet spacing matches the tank spacing (30 inches in this case). 

Hope that was helpful!

On 8/21/2020 at 3:19 PM, Griever said:

I have since relocated to a different city and bought the IM APS stand as a temporary stand until I buy a house again. 

I built that desk myself using Ikea components. It wasn't too difficult, but certainly more difficult than typical furniture assembly. If you're not handy, getting a contractor to help build it should be pretty easy. I think doing it myself it took maybe 2-3 days? People tend to way over engineer stands due to concerns about horizontal racking forces shifting the weight off the vertical supports. If the desk is built into the wall, you don't have to worry about that, and the compression strength of the ikea cabinets is MORE than enough to hold a 50+ gallon tank especially if the cabinet spacing matches the tank spacing (30 inches in this case). 

Hope that was helpful!

Very helpful, thank you! Do you happen to remember which IKEA cabinets you used? 

• 7 months later...