Top Shelf Aquatics

Griever's 50G Lagoon Tank - Leng Sy Close Up

Griever

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Looking good @Griever! The SPS are starting to branch out, thats great!

Yeah, I can't wait until they're full colonies all over. Another 6 months or so and it'll start looking really good I think. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I'm exhausted! Just completed a ~500 mile move from LA up to the Bay, taking my tank with me in the car. The move was overall successful, with only a few small losses. Going to just brain dump here how I moved and a few things I'd probably do differently next time.

So let's start with logistics!

I bought three ~15 gallon plastic storage totes and four battery powered emergency aeration pumps. I put all the live rock in two totes and all the fish/shrimp in the third. I cut a hole in the top to feed the airline down into the water, and then taped the lids on as well as I could (though still had some minor leaks in the car when I hit bumps, next time I'll put some plastic sheeting down). I stopped a few times to check on the aeration pumps, but I really didn't need to. They'll run for several days on the 2 D batteries.

Once I arrived at my destination I set up the stand and got the tank up there where I wanted it. I then started arranging my rock, and here's where I hit my first snag. I took pictures of all the rock assembled, but didn't take any of how the base layer was assembled. So I struggled for a bit getting the base rocks on the left side positioned correctly so that I could get the top rocks into the right position. This was especially stressful because I had to stop and hit the corals with the water I was pumping up from the totes every now and then.

I finally got everything situated correctly and all the water I brought with me into the tank. Due to a lack of space in my vehicle I wasn't able to bring enough water to fully fill the tank. So at this point it was late and I called it a day. Hooked up the MP40 and the heater and went to bed. 

This is where mistake two happened. I didn't think about the fact that without a skimmer running and without the turbulence of the back chamber/overflows, there wasn't much aeration happening. I woke to fish appearing to struggle to breathe. I immediately put the aeration pump to work and the fish seemed to recover within a few minutes. Unfortunately I lost the Royal Gramma and my female Lyre Tail. I also started running carbon, since I noticed a lot of slime on the corals. 

I finished setting up the rest of the equipment, and made enough fresh salt water to top off the tank and everything appears to be running well now!

All in all, I lost two SPS mini colonies and two fish. Some of the other colonies look stressed and have a few broken tips, but should recover. Anemones, LPS, and softies all look great. 

TL;DR: Moved ~500 miles and things mostly went well. Never forget about water aeration.

LRM_EXPORT_511839319618707_20191018_134753078.jpeg

• Like 6
18 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Looks good man. All in all, I’d consider the trip a success for how far it was and how much breaking down setting up you have to deal with. Sorry you lost a couple fish and corals. 

Yeah I agree. I won't lie, it was very stressful and a huge pain to move the tank, but now that it's set up in the new house I can't help but smile. Totally worth it. I love having this tank and would have definitely missed it. 

• Like 2
Capt_Rick_Dixie
On 10/19/2019 at 12:23 PM, Griever said:

Yeah I agree. I won't lie, it was very stressful and a huge pain to move the tank, but now that it's set up in the new house I can't help but smile. Totally worth it. I love having this tank and would have definitely missed it. 

I feel that, man.  I moved from WI to SoCal with a bunch of my corals and whatnot and it was stressful as could be.  Definitely worth it though.  Keep this thing running!  It's looking great. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like everything is getting back to normal after the move. Hell, some corals are looking better than they did before (probably because the move forced me to do cleaning of the back area), though a few are still slower to recover. 

IMG_20191107_143141.jpg

IMG_20191107_143220.jpg

IMG_20191107_143243.jpg

IMG_20191107_143155.jpg

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Hadn't seen the Black Widow anemone in a few days and was starting to get worried. Turned back up today with a surprise. The one in front is the new one, original one is barely visible behind in the rocks. 

IMG_20191124_191508.jpg

The poor clowns have been having to share the green and purple anemone, and they're not happy about it. Look at these grumpy faces. 

IMG_20191124_191731.jpg

Leng Sy Monti and BC Bohemia 

IMG_20191124_191716.jpg

My CB Maleficent is blowing my mind right now. So many colors. 

IMG_20191124_191534.jpg

RR Orange Passion looking happy. 

IMG_20191124_191640.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

A few more photos of my current favorites while I'm waiting on the new arrivals to acclimate. 

JF Beach Bum and JF Slow Burn montis

IMG_20191129_210709 (1).jpg

CB Maleficent

IMG_20191129_210725.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Those are fantastic, and congrats on the successful move! 

Did you trim back the leng sy where it was encrusting around the Bohemia? I had a similar situation and thought the acro was holding its own against the monti, and suddenly it was game over for the acro before I could do anything about it. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Those are fantastic, and congrats on the successful move! 

Did you trim back the leng sy where it was encrusting around the Bohemia? I had a similar situation and thought the acro was holding its own against the monti, and suddenly it was game over for the acro before I could do anything about it. 

Hmmm. The Leng already lost to the orange passion on the other side and both were fine, so I'd assumed that the Bohemia would win as well. Maybe I'll trim it back next time I trim back the Zoas trying to takeover the acros on the left. Good call out. 

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Love it!! What price box did you order? 

That was the $300 box. 

• Like 3

Whew, finally got around to buying a shelf and organizing some of my cables post move. The rats nest of cables was driving me nuts (plus pretty unsafe having the power strip on the floor). Though I have a feeling I'll have to be redoing some of this cabling after Christmas... 🤫

IMG_20191207_121231_MP.jpg

• Like 4