Pod Your Reef

Griever's 50G Lagoon Tank - Leng Sy Close Up

Griever

New FTS to show off the new ORA Derasa Clam and some closer shots of my PC Rainbow which is finally coloring up after dulling out from shipping, and some unnamed Acros from AquaSD that are really taking off with the more stable Alk dosing. 

The only things in the tank that don't seem happy are the Alveopora. I've tried multiple spots with different combinations of lower light and flow, and nothing seems to make them happy. Just might not work in my tank.

MVIMG_20180929_131457.jpg

MVIMG_20180929_132340.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Added some Anthias to the tank, they appear to be settling in pretty well. Some light bullying from the longnose hawkfish, but they're eating well. Getting ready to buy some more sps frags at RAP this weekend!

MVIMG_20181003_182804_exported_stabilized_8760646114434386256.gif

• Like 3

Back from RAP with some goodies. Left to right;

JF Slow Burn Monti, Bubblegum Digitata, RR Pink Floyd, and a Blue Oregon Tort. 

Now to figure out where they should go!

MVIMG_20181006_152217.jpg

• Like 2

Currently dealing with a small algae outbreak thanks to basically doubling the bioload of the tank with the Anthias trio (which are settled in and already eating pellets from the auto-feeder!). Stepped up the skimming and did a dose of Fluconazole to kill off the really stubborn GHA that has popped up and refuses to die back like the others have. 

MVIMG_20181013_141317_exported_stabilized_1470676455834256763.gif

• Like 4

Also got the new Google Pixel Camera app which allows for shooting in RAW. That plus the mobile version of light room have been a lot of fun to mess around with. Before/after of a RAW photo edited in light room. 

MVIMG_20181011_183658.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_45557119292548_20181011_184214214.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • 4 weeks later...

New November tank shot.

The good; Acros are really starting to grow and color up and I've got my dosing dialed in and stable. Started skimming again only at night and have had very limited nuisance algae growth. So really happy with the current state of water chemistry and stability. All the new fish I added last month are all eating well from the auto feeder with some mysis supplements here and there. 

The bad; The clam didn't make it, the blenny and clown harassed it to death. Never seen a clownfish mad at a clam before, but it didn't matter where I moved it to, she had to go attack it... The clown also harassed the welso so much that the bigger head died, and I don't think the second head will make it. Those appear to be the only corals she has it out for, ignores everything else. 

LRM_EXPORT_10384184121799_20181108_185340911.jpeg

• Like 4

Sorry about the clam and welso.  I never heard of a clown having it out for clams either, although I did have a clown that would knock down coral that I placed on rock near her area.  What kind of clown was it?  I have found tomato, maroon clowns to be more temperamntal than some of the new hybrids.

11 hours ago, Griever said:

New November tank shot.

The good; Acros are really starting to grow and color up and I've got my dosing dialed in and stable. Started skimming again only at night and have had very limited nuisance algae growth. So really happy with the current state of water chemistry and stability. All the new fish I added last month are all eating well from the auto feeder with some mysis supplements here and there. 

The bad; The clam didn't make it, the blenny and clown harassed it to death. Never seen a clownfish mad at a clam before, but it didn't matter where I moved it to, she had to go attack it... The clown also harassed the welso so much that the bigger head died, and I don't think the second head will make it. Those appear to be the only corals she has it out for, ignores everything else. 

LRM_EXPORT_10384184121799_20181108_185340911.jpeg

Clowns are a-holes.  Maybe trying to host the clam and welso?

9 hours ago, specore said:

Clowns are a-holes.  Maybe trying to host the clam and welso?

Nah, I think she's just hitting maturity and for whatever reason didn't like how those each looked. She is hosting the green anemone on the right side, and it didn't look like she was trying to host the clam or the welso, she'd bite/charge them trying to move them. Even when I moved them to the far side away from her anemone. She's also biting my hand when I go into the tank, lol. I have to have my poking stick in one hand to keep her at bay while I have the other hand in the tank. 😱

12 hours ago, vlangel said:

Sorry about the clam and welso.  I never heard of a clown having it out for clams either, although I did have a clown that would knock down coral that I placed on rock near her area.  What kind of clown was it?  I have found tomato, maroon clowns to be more temperamntal than some of the new hybrids.

Standard mocha ocellaris. I've had clowns before (one was an ocellaris x maroon hybrid), but this one is the most aggressive one I've had yet, but only towards me. She leaves the other fish alone, and other than the clam and welso ignores all the other corals. I might need an acclimation box for new corals... 😅

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Reeferadicto13 said:

Beautiful tank! 

I noticed your from Orange County 

where did u get the gold torch 

Gold Torch was from Ocean's Tropical Fish in MV. Only decent place around here. 

2 hours ago, curryfire said:

What the reasoning behind not have a sand bed?  I’m new to this and don’t think I’ve seen that before...

Easier to clean up detritus, and you can have more flow for SPS without worrying about turning your tank into a snow globe. Search for "bare bottom reef" for more pros/cons. 

I do kind of wish I'd gotten a custom cut starboad sheet for the bottom before I'd put the rocks in to look a bit more natural, but once the Blue Sympodium carpets the bottom, it won't matter. 

35 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Do you know blue sympodium can take over all the rocks? Just checking 🙂

The tank looks great! 

Yeah that's why I've got it isolated on that bit of ABS on the bottom. It also grows really slow compared to stuff like GSP or Blue Clove Polyps so it's not typically invasive. Hell if anything, I'd like it to be growing a little faster than it is!

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Griever said:

Yeah that's why I've got it isolated on that bit of ABS on the bottom. It also grows really slow compared to stuff like GSP or Blue Clove Polyps so it's not typically invasive. Hell if anything, I'd like it to be growing a little faster than it is!

Good - I agree it's not nearly as bad as bcp which can propagate through the water. It should look really pretty!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New FTS for December! Only big change is that I moved the frogspawn away from the torch, they kept attacking each other and getting tangled up. They're both much happier now. 😉

LRM_EXPORT_1214694829031538_20181202_151325143.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Griever said:

New FTS for December! Only big change is that I moved the frogspawn away from the torch, they kept attacking each other and getting tangled up. They're both much happier now. 😉

LRM_EXPORT_1214694829031538_20181202_151325143.jpeg

Your tank looks great!  Frogspawn and torch do look happy. 😊