SaltCritters.com

Dosing and Water Change

805NanoReef

805NanoReef

So eventually I am gonna start dosing once I reach a certain amount of corals.. My question is.. When dosing Alk, Cal and Mag to the correct levels.. will a water change be needed monthly? and if so do I re adjust my dosing since i have replenished what im dosing? Im new at this lol Ive read how to calculate how much to dose after testing but not sure what happens after a water change 

RayWhisperer

Dosing isn't going to export nutrients, which is the primary reason for water changes. Granted, there are ways to run a reef without water changes. I generally don't recommend them because I don't know anyone's particular skill, depth, whatever you want to call it, in reefing.

Now, as for corrections after a change. I generally suggest to dose to your salt mix levels. It makes life so much easier.

• Like 2
burtbollinger

one thing to think about is having a salt mix that has parameters at where you want to keep them.....i want my Alk between 8.5-8.8...so I use Fritz RPM with an Alk @ 8...makes adjusting everything easier.

You still need regular waterchanges even when dosing.

Dosing is to be done to replenish the consumption of alk/ca from the corals.

Your target number is what the salt mixes at (your tank should be around this number after a waterchange)

So if your salt mixes alk at 7.5dkh, that's your target number. 

When the time comes, testing every day will be required to determine the drop in alk, and how much/often you need to dose.

Waterchanges are to export nutrients, remove detritus, etc. 

• Like 1
805NanoReef
On 3/30/2018 at 11:52 PM, Clown79 said:

You still need regular waterchanges even when dosing.

Dosing is to be done to replenish the consumption of alk/ca from the corals.

Your target number is what the salt mixes at (your tank should be around this number after a waterchange)

So if your salt mixes alk at 7.5dkh, that's your target number. 

When the time comes, testing every day will be required to determine the drop in alk, and how much/often you need to dose.

Waterchanges are to export nutrients, remove detritus, etc. 

Thanks!