inTank Media Baskets

10 gallon Nuvo

Joaly

Hi guys , getting back in the hobby after a few years . I am torn betweeen real reef rock from premium aquatics or cured pukani rock. I had a pretty bad experience with uncurled rock and not sure how the cured pukani rock would work out. 

But if I go with the real reef rock from premium aquatics i was thinking of something like this . They were so nice and sent me a pic of how my scape would look like . Just worried about the branch color, looks fake right ? 

95C7CF7F-8A02-4600-99DE-CF59DEC5F122.jpeg

93A987C1-0246-400D-92A4-E31D21CFD802.jpeg

• Like 1
Segalplayer

Well first off welcome back to the hobby @Joaly!:lol: 

Take a gander at this rock before you pull the trigger on the pukani 

1F5FF946-CC8F-4159-BF16-AED315B54942.jpe2A9410E9-04FA-4DDE-AFBF-12E9F5317529.jpe

the rock turns a  year old on friday with no complaints whatsoever and it was clean! All shapes and size rock too.

IMG_5909.JPG.2283d5ac8ce4124a636430e7acf

• Thanks 1
Segalplayer
39 minutes ago, Joaly said:

I love your scape , is that the Carib sea rock ? Where did u get it from ? And how many lbs ?

I was looking into this rock as well,

https://www.saltwaterfish.com/product-totoka-ultra-premium-live-rock-12-lbs

What are the plants on the left ? 

I an planning to incorporate mangroves in my tank . 

Yea I used about 7lbs of Carib sea rock in the tank (it’s dead rock but with dead purple Coraline algae on it), I recommend getting a lb extra or more for breaking  to use of frags or hiding puddy ect used on scapes. I purchased the rock from Seaside Tropical fish in Hintginton beach, so I was able to get the exact amount I wanted. However I found this so you can further search it from there. I buy stuff from them bcs no tax and fast free shipping to me...beat BRS and marine depot surprisingly! I ordered 3 foam covers from all sellers and SWA beat the others by a day. Random I know but still lol! 

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/life-rock-40-lb-caribsea/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnfLVBRCxARIsAPvl82HSSgtEgjL5tBfq8KXzAA7D-0DKDl4dNbEH__qCMdfW676caQ5wxakaAuYaEALw_wcB

Tbh I don’t really like live rock bcs of what is on it. I’d much rather start knowing every last thing I put in the tank and making sure to use coral dips. The tank will cycle pretty fast already as it’s a smaller nano. Mine cycled with this rock and the live black sand in less than two weeks. 

Plants on the left are succulents I took home from a baby shower lol. Mangroves are dope! I got worried about the roots and ended up not doing em sadly.

Segalplayer

Thank you for all the recommendations, I will check out my local fish store . They said they had some live rock when I called them. 

I love I’ve the real reef rock due to its purple color , but damn that’s expensive especially then branch ones. 

I might check out caribsea , have u ever worked with totoka rock ? 

Yea mangrove roots are tricky but would love to work around it and see if I could incorporate a couple in the tank 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2018 at 2:32 AM, Segalplayer said:

Well first off welcome back to the hobby @Joaly!:lol: 

Take a gander at this rock before you pull the trigger on the pukani 

1F5FF946-CC8F-4159-BF16-AED315B54942.jpe2A9410E9-04FA-4DDE-AFBF-12E9F5317529.jpe

the rock turns a  year old on friday with no complaints whatsoever and it was clean! All shapes and size rock too.

IMG_5909.JPG.2283d5ac8ce4124a636430e7acf

Love the caribsea liferock! 

• Like 1
Segalplayer
On 3/29/2018 at 11:26 AM, Joaly said:

Found this rock 

86D83D00-D773-41C2-A808-53D876B0470B.jpeg

Did you get that rock? Kinda looks like the original branching one. You just have to decide if you want live rock that constitutes the beneficial animals and plants living on the rock which means there’s also nuisances on it too.

The best way to avoid any intruders in your original set up is to go with dry rock vs live rock. In a small tank it will cycle very quickly as opposed to a larger ones. This also means you won’t need very much rock either :lol: