Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dry Rock Cycle --> Livestock transition

MSunkin23

Hello NR community,

I am reaching the end of my dry-rock cycle and starting to put thought on how I introduce livestock into my tank. My goal is a low-maintenance reef tank as far as algae and other unwanted growth. I have a 16gallon biocube.

As my rock is not fully mature yet, how have you all been successful introducing livestock into your tanks that maintained biological filtration, and not to overwhelm the system.

I know fish will introduce the most consistent ammonia source, but also want to consider a slower approach to introduce livestock. I am thinking 1-2 snails that can find some glass algae that has been accumulating on my tank. My gut is telling me I will end up adding a snail, or snail + hermit to get something live started.

At the same time, there is not too much algae growth, so considering a hermit crab that I can spot feed more easily. 

- Fish first?

- Snails first?

- Hermits first ?

- Spot feeding pellets?

Any thoughts?

HarryPotter

I didn’t know you were dosing ammonia. If you test and see the ammonia being processed, you could definitely start adding livestock. If the tank is clean (no algae) you may want to wait on your clean-up-crew and instead get fish or coral(s). :) 

• Like 1

@HarryPotter - I did my API test today and revealed ~24hr removal of ~3ppm Ammonia to zero Ammonia and zero Nitrite. Also reading only 20ppm of Nitrate (not sure where the rest is going, maybe algae)

I plan to purchase 1 hermit and 1 snail today. My question to you is if you think this would require a 50% water change. Part of me wants to do the change, but may not really be needed if there is no nitrate buildup. (would only lower my nitrate to ~10ppm...)

What would you do?