Top Shelf Aquatics

Mother's Pico 4.3G - CUC introduction

Sunstar

Sorry about he gobies 😞 Snails love to just randomly die.. ugh.. that smell!.. I wonder if a single hermit crab is better for tiny tanks? They seem less meaty or smelly if they die.

I like where the new tank is going tho 🙂

• Like 1

the flow over the glass teeth was not enough, so I broke three off, now it keeps up well. I marked a high water line in the overflow area, and I think that's the best spot  for the Smart Micro ATO. heater is also in there. I'll insert chemi-pure blue later when the carbon that came wiht the filter is used up

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sunstar said:

Update:

Treating with Dino X and a small UV steriliser.

Losing the Zoanthids.

Try adding some live phyto, bottled bacteria, or doing a total blackout, I tried all of these when fighting dino. Theoretically the phyto and bacteria may help give the dino some competition. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Sunstar said:

I did a three day total blackout - followed by current treatment.

You may need a longer blackout. I think I ended up doing 5ish days. I've seen others say three was not enough. Sadly I did lose some zoas but happily not all of them. 

if this treatment doesn't work, I'll pull down and sterilise the tank and equipment - then restart. Outside of the struggling zoas, Only green star polyps and a leather survived. I can likely remove both and dip them or ditch them - and fully restart.

• Like 1

Zoas melted, the GSP so far has survived - I suppose it would be easier to pull it down, and start anew. but I haven't given up on the GSP.

Dino-X and a UV steriliser are being used in tandem.

dinos don't seem to be as spread as before, and seem to be dying off.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Sunstar said:

Zoas melted, the GSP so far has survived - I suppose it would be easier to pull it down, and start anew. but I haven't given up on the GSP.

Dino-X and a UV steriliser are being used in tandem.

dinos don't seem to be as spread as before, and seem to be dying off.

Sorry about the zoas. Hope you can beat this nasty stuff.

It looks worlds better - I am gonna carry treatment for a full 30 days

I have to admit, I am not sure how dino-x will affect the cycle, if I should carry on with cycling the tank - the issue happened within 10 days of setup, apparently dinos were likely part of the problem that crashed the tank. I am not sure if they caused the snail to die -  which caused a cascade effect, but could easily be.

20181117_183309.jpg

I have run 10 doses of Dino-X.

I did a 30% WC, vaccume and changed out the filter floss.

Added in a dirty filter floss from my reef (bacteria) , and fresh carbon.

Introduced three small crabs + shells

2 nass snails

1 astrea snail

And a small blasto frag + the trumpet that kept falling down from my tank.

The water has been crystal (or close as crystal without carbon or filtration other htan floss) for the past week or so - no sign of dino. I plan to do 3 more doses, plus remove the UV steriliser by December 8th.

Mum wants a fish or two again, but I want to monitor the tank for at least one month before  (prefer 2) before I do that, in the mean time, slow introduction of some corals, or mushrooms/zoas are in the plans.

Also in the plans are a mini-tide for her tank. It likely will be my current one, and I'll jack the new one.

• Like 1