Coral Vue Hydros

Hermit Crab Canibalism

MarandaB

One hermit crab has recently come up from a molt.  I was surprised to see it burrow again in such a short timeframe.  However, it has burrowed and the second hermit has burrowed down after it.  I can hear what seems to be screeches.  What do I do if I suspect that one crab is eating the other?  Should I dig them up to separate them?  Thank you for your assistance!

BustytheSnowMaam

What kind of self-respecting crab screeches?  What a wimpy noise. 

Srsly though, the screeches are a form of echolocation.  Just leave them be.  

• Haha 1
squamptonbc

Hermits are opportunistic and if there is an easy meal, they will go after it. Tank are mini eco-systems and nature will take its course in our tanks,

BustytheSnowMaam

Ok, this forum is for people with saltwater fish tanks- reef hermit crabs, not land hermits.  But I'll try to help you.  It's a good thing that you provided enough substrate for the crabs to burrow down and molt.  A lot of people don't know to do that, and then the crab dies when it tries to molt.  

I'm thinking the screeching is in response to the other crab invading its space- kind of like how we yell at someone for walking in on us in the bathroom.  

Can you remove the naughty crab, then take a container, cover the screeching crab, and push the container down into the substrate a bit so naughty crab can't get to the screeching crab?