Innovative Marine Aquariums

CSR’s Lucky Lagoon 25 - 2 Year!!

CarolinaShoreReef

CarolinaShoreReef
17 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

eh... I have split up clowns or lost one and they never stopped eating from it. We used to split up pairs from the wild all the time and breeders often swap mates or change up pairing.

Your 1st clown mysteriously died, right? Maybe this one isn't doing the greatest either? Internal parasite maybe? I remember when these guys were in your smaller tank, there was a period they were behaving strange but eventually recovered. It doesn't really seem they were in that great of shape to begin with. 

I would be worried if you get a new clown, the new clown could catch whatever this one has. 

Tank looks good though, I don't see that much algae. I like those giant palys. 

Okay so that’s good to hear because I’ve been told that they can’t be split but that was probably just a business tactic. The other clown was the only one acting weird and I believe it was just bad genetics. She would get really stressed from me doing water changes... He, on the other hand, has been doing just fine up until she died about a month ago which is why I’m puzzled. 

Tank you! I did a deep cleaning my last wc and started running gfo again in hopes of stripping PO4 before the algae and cyano do. I should have taken a before picture but I won’t lie, I was ashamed lol. 

Which giant palys? I didn’t think I had any in here besides the ones on the sand but they’re like zoa-sized. 

Maybe they are not palys? The ones on the rock by the duncan/green torch. 

My thoughts with the clown is there are many types of internal parasites, some un-treatable, but usually the fish do fine for a long while and finally succumb, usually stop eating, ect.

Still, it seems reasonable to me they might be more active or less skiddish with a mate, some fish feel safer around other fish. 

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
6 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Maybe they are not palys? The ones on the rock by the duncan/green torch. 

My thoughts with the clown is there are many types of internal parasites, some un-treatable, but usually the fish do fine for a long while and finally succumb, usually stop eating, ect.

Still, it seems reasonable to me they might be more active or less skiddish with a mate, some fish feel safer around other fish. 

Oh these? Yeah I love them too! 

I was thinking that’s what’s up with him. But he was fine for like the first week after she did pass. It’s likely it’s a parasite as I didn’t quarantine either of them. I will have to just wait and see how it plays out I guess. If he goes too I’ll leave the tank fallow for a while. I still have the yasha and pistol who come out to eat regularly. 

4F9FF834-BBBB-4408-AC3E-328C8B9A645B.jpeg

Ya those ones! 

They make meds you can speak the food in that treats intestinal worms if the fish will eat. You can also try soaking in garlic as that sometimes stimulates their appitite.

• Thanks 1

The Cyano in the tank, does it get stringy in good flow? I remember seeing the tank when it was set up at fintastic, and remember thinking it had the same ‘cyano’ I battled for a while. If it is, chemiclean did nothing to it. I used API erythromycin to wipe it out, followed the instructions, but cut the dose in half or quarter (can’t remember exactly). I think I used half a packet each dose on the 25 lagoon when I had it. 

• Thanks 1
CarolinaShoreReef
21 hours ago, xthunt said:

The Cyano in the tank, does it get stringy in good flow? I remember seeing the tank when it was set up at fintastic, and remember thinking it had the same ‘cyano’ I battled for a while. If it is, chemiclean did nothing to it. I used API erythromycin to wipe it out, followed the instructions, but cut the dose in half or quarter (can’t remember exactly). I think I used half a packet each dose on the 25 lagoon when I had it. 

Yep what is left is stringy. Fintastic told me they tried chemiclean already with no luck, so thank you I’ll have to give that a try if it gets out of hand, but as of now I haven’t had any growth after sucking it all up my last water change a week ago. 

CarolinaShoreReef

I’ve got a new video update out! 

Tbh, I’ve been slacking on WCs and doing bi-weekly as I’ve been adjusting to some changes. I’ll get back on track with that soon. 

I ordered a hanna alk checker during the DrF&S Memorial Day sale (~$37). 

Pleased to announce Bar is eating again. Hopefully that continues. 

Anyways, enjoy the new video! 😁

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef

The red acan and blue and orange chalice have grown a lot since I got them a month ago. 2-3 new heads on the acan and the chalice has almost fully encrusted the plug. I ‘think’ the watermelon chalice has grown just slightly as well, but that is a known slow grower. 

I haven’t been dosing, WCs ~bi-weekly, and now considering not dosing and doing weekly WCs until they start to really consume nutrients. 

A92972AA-4229-49AE-BA31-49CFB08E3AE1.jpeg

EB1BB2DB-E0D9-4213-BBCD-BFC4F51989B4.png

CBED5EBF-1742-47B4-9D38-51843C1636A2.jpeg

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef

Post water change pics. Alk checker finally came in this week. Tested the tank at 6.77 before and the fresh batch of sw at 7.84. Will be dosing as I’ve noticed the sps have lost color and the watermelon chalice has shriveled a little.

Note to all: Just because one chalice is growing and happy doesn’t mean all will be!! 

I think it’s safe to say I’ve killed one of the heads on the purple tip green hammer by shadowing it out. Luckily, I caught it in time to save the other young head. 

Bar is acting normal again and eating, thankfully. 

Nicked my cespitularia while cleaning and its shriveled up but I have no doubt it will rebound. 

Made a DIY fuge basket using sewing canvas. I’ve got the growth par light as well, I’m just waiting to find some macroalgae (if you’re in the triangle area of NC and have some you wouldn’t mind selling or giving away lmk)! I’d like to take the GFO reactor out and replace with a fuge to have less equipment to care for. 

My cyano and nuisance algae have disappeared, which is a relief. 

FD8B82D1-7BEE-445B-A188-7D690B70A859.jpeg

52BEFD34-75E5-42EB-8C9E-368F34AD8A4A.jpeg

5572E3AC-07C7-4771-ACD6-D589AB7E2373.jpeg

470BD87F-FAB6-40C1-A617-36DDFAB6986D.jpeg

65463C84-713C-4F2F-8997-C2F0BE26D067.jpeg

58E736FA-51BF-4DD5-9BEB-059659AA5C0D.jpeg

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef

Forgot to post pics of the diy fuge basket. I used sewing canvas that I had originally bought to use as a lid for the 5g but hated the look (Lidless all the way)! 

Also, I took the plunge on the Jebao PP4. I just can’t resist the price and have heard pretty good things from people using it. Bought from amazon in case something craps out. Should arrive next week. 

A2E9C58E-53BB-4903-AD11-389B4435205E.jpeg

B83DC542-966E-46D1-B322-629F2C9A74B5.jpeg

68F0AA43-7AB5-461E-BA4C-C6BFECB58162.jpeg

CarolinaShoreReef

Should I go ahead and pull this out now? Idk if it’ll ever come back and I wouldn’t want it to wreck my water. If it’s a bit hard to tell, that’s a RBTA. 

7355FA5F-4395-48ED-A472-9B3CE280B9CA.jpeg

6AA6A7F1-89F8-415F-BA59-DCA3C0BB0A71.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Should I go ahead and pull this out now? Idk if it’ll ever come back and I wouldn’t want it to wreck my water. If it’s a bit hard to tell, that’s a RBTA. 

7355FA5F-4395-48ED-A472-9B3CE280B9CA.jpeg

6AA6A7F1-89F8-415F-BA59-DCA3C0BB0A71.jpeg

I would just keep an eye on it. Unless you won’t be around, then I’d pull it. 

• Thanks 1
CarolinaShoreReef

With my luck that’s probably just enough space for a jumper. I have an idea though that can wait until tomorrow...

Im also going to switch the netting to clear after a little bit because not as much light is getting through and it’s cheaper to replace the netting than turn up the intensity. 

F929F981-61B8-4BB8-A9F7-F34D820DFD60.jpeg

A3673426-4727-4EB5-B96D-C407BCCE42AB.jpeg

CarolinaShoreReef
7 hours ago, xthunt said:

If your going to replace the screen, you can resize the frame and get the 8mm lid clips so the lid sits inside the glass. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01C9154QM/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1529160801&sr=8-2&keywords=innovative+marine+lid+clips&dpPl=1&dpID=31V92YVTMEL&ref=plSrch

I also make a notch in the plastic corner piece so a cord can run out. 

Yes, I’ll be doing all of that and the notch was what I was alluding to!

On 6/12/2018 at 8:29 AM, WV Reefer said:

I would just keep an eye on it. Unless you won’t be around, then I’d pull it. 

The way it’s looking now, I’ll be removing it before I go on my week trip most likely. 

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef

Really good behavior between the two clowns. Spotted the leopard wrasse this morning for breakfast but didn’t see it eat. I probably need to add more mysis to the food mix. 

Coral in this tank tank are steady growing. Notice the cespitularia. 

Notched the screen to feed the cord through. Lid now sits flush. 

59887028-367F-41B9-95D5-945BB5DF09D6.jpeg

789FBF13-2987-4255-8564-500DBEC869DD.jpeg

5F047374-9ECA-402B-844A-1A5E9097B369.jpeg

D30A2944-644E-461E-9B90-9307FFC2D7DE.jpeg

AC6E7732-AB98-4D9E-A0FC-83F58150C7B6.jpeg

81C1A944-D24D-4F0A-985A-1DBD5A9C4CD3.jpeg

23C59DBC-17DE-46D3-ABE9-4E5237FB1935.jpeg

23FAF7D5-1D13-406F-94AC-7474E0FAAF6D.jpeg