Top Shelf Aquatics

CSR’s Lucky Lagoon 25 - 2 Year!!

CarolinaShoreReef

1 minute ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

If all of these are still available by Friday I might just take the plunge ?

6DD5336C-0C8E-414F-87CC-595C5AE5B241.png

DA312EF4-40E9-4522-8332-2B2035061CF4.png

That’s a lot of Chalice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
CarolinaShoreReef

Scratch my last post.. I need to make sure I can keep chalices alive before getting so many. 

Heres a topdown FTS showing some of the uglies I’ve got coming in right now. 

597FABC3-B436-45F4-8691-5DB7EEC1F9F1.jpeg

5D18F3C8-B67A-4048-BD34-E821897C8A64.jpeg

CarolinaShoreReef

Yesterday, after completing my water change, I realized that Tiki had been lying in a corner overly stressed. This has become a normal behavior for me to observe during and after a water change. I didn’t think too much of it until I came home later last night around 12am and she was nowhere to be found. 

I figured this morning I’d either find her swimming around normally as if nothing ever happened like she usually does, or I’d find her stuck to a pump. It was the latter, unfortunately. 

This was my least invasive water change yet. I siphoned the rear chambers and only had my hand in the display to glue down a couple of frags and siphoned off some water in the display after stirring some sand up. 

I figured this this day would come, sadly. Something was not right about her. From the start, she was overly sensitive to anything and responded slowly to change. At least she passed with a full belly. 

Bar, the other clown in the pair, doesn’t seem phased at all. In fact, I don’t even know if he really liked Tiki because all she did was pick on him lol. 

Im not sure whether I should wait a couple of weeks and then try and reintroduce another clown to pair up or leave the tank with one clown. Hopefully you all can chime in with your knowledge and experiences. 

2F56ABD0-9159-41A5-B06E-CF8C5C833851.jpeg

• Sad 4

The only issue with maroons is at sometime as they grow they will become aggressive which makes maintenance a pain but also makes keeping other fish a pain in such a small tank. I have seen maroons literally pick up fish and try and feed them to their anenome. 

They also poop a lot when they get bigger. 

I guess the main thing is you need to decide if you can be happy with limiting your other fish stock. 

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

The only issue with maroons is at sometime as they grow they will become aggressive which makes maintenance a pain but also makes keeping other fish a pain in such a small tank. I have seen maroons literally pick up fish and try and feed them to their anenome. 

I guess the main thing is you need to decide if you can be happy with limiting your other fish stock. 

Ha sometimes they get mean?? Dang maroons are always mean.. cool fish though oh and when they get a little bigger they bite so hard they can draw blood lol

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
CarolinaShoreReef
51 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Yeah I’ll just have to sit back and think about it. I think I’m going to ride it out for a couple of months. 

41 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Ha sometimes they get mean?? Dang maroons are always mean.. cool fish though oh and when they get a little bigger they bite so hard they can draw blood lol

Haha well I hear the percs do it too. 

35 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Yeah I’ll just have to sit back and think about it. I think I’m going to ride it out for a couple of months. 

There is no comparison between percs and maroons when comparing “species” behavior. Individuals can vary. :)

• Like 1

My percs are docile... Had one mean occy once (mean to me not the other fish).

Maroons are just a murderous type mean. They sometimes toss coral around too. 

• Like 2
CarolinaShoreReef
2 hours ago, kismetsh said:

There is no comparison between percs and maroons when comparing “species” behavior. Individuals can vary. :)

Why can’t I say that a perc will make you bleed? I’ve seen it happen lol 

CarolinaShoreReef

Picked some things up from the local frag swap here (ReefSmart). Got some great deals on these two chalices (IMO) and picked up some really pretty acans there. One of the chalices is a watermelon and the other doesn’t have a name but is stunning nonetheless. 

A8B0FA75-6973-4C22-8DA6-521C25942937.jpeg

DA6FC619-1555-4AF1-836B-0FFDE70D966A.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

My Percs have never been aggressive, but like people, individuals have their own personalities.

Nice pick up on the chalices. Better than buying 5-6 of them and finding out you can't keep them alive. I've never had luck with chalices or favia

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
10 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

My Percs have never been aggressive, but like people, individuals have their own personalities.

Nice pick up on the chalices. Better than buying 5-6 of them and finding out you can't keep them alive. I've never had luck with chalices or favia

Haha thank you and better on the wallet ? 

CarolinaShoreReef

Not sure if my tongue consumed something, reacted to a slight drop in salinity (1.025 to .024 because the ATO came on while floating bags), or is moving itself by inflation. Either way looks super weird/cool. 

578C3936-5247-4B0F-81C6-C1599F557300.jpeg

FAA3C980-ADBC-489F-9891-CB17D34036D8.jpeg