Top Shelf Aquatics

Newbie - Biocube32 - Set Up Help - Please!!!!!

VinnyLam

Hey all I've had several freshwater tanks but im finally going to scratch my saltwater itch. I'm going to be running a Biocube 32 that I plan to upgrade with a tunze 9001 skimmer, Intank Media basket, and Hydor Evolution Pump 240. I was planning on using CaribSea Arag-Alive Pink Sand and mostly base rock with a few pounds of live. Any and all suggestions, recomendations, and advice on filtration media, heater, etc, etc im all ears.  Thanks in advance for any help, super stoked to start this up. :D

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com!

Sounds like you've already done some research.  I believe inTank often recommends floss, ChemiPure, and Purigen for media.  I usually recommend floss, activated carbon, and PhosGuard (when needed).

• Thanks 1

Sounds like your on the right track . I would get the tank and start cycling while you figure out the rest that way when you figure out everything you want you can add livestock.. first thing I did a year ago was focus on chemical media forget that stuff for awhile , most people that I know try and stay away from it if possible, and only add some of it as needed i.e. start to get alage add some phosguard . I have the tunze skimmer ans yea it pulls stuff out put don't really see an advantage too it in this small tank with weekly w.c. (Fyi some one is selling a 2 week old one on here for like 75 bucks shipped). I love the intank media basket. I run their filter floss and even use the bottom as a mini fuge with cheato. 

Most important stuff u need added to your list:

Heater. Neotherm or jagar heater with some sort of temp control for safety like the inkbird

Thermometer 

Stuff to mix saltwater. Rodi unit makes life way easier if not buy rodi or distilled water, buckets for mixing, salt mix, pump for mixing(pump is better than a powerhead bc you can bye a hose and use the same pump to pump water into the tank) heater 

Test kits!!!! Not api.  By salfert or I really like red sea. You need ammonina,  nitrites,  nitrates, ph. If you want corals is get magnesium,  calcium,  alklinty.  Oh and phosphate is good too..

Good luck!!! Happy reefing.

Fyi if you want corals if save for a nanobox retro if you want to keep the hood on , or if not save for a ai prime..

• Thanks 1

Welcome.

I like to bag my own media. I use filter floss, purigen, carbon, and phosguard as needed.

If you haven't gotten the pump, for a 32g I'd get the 420

240 is for smaller tanks.

Heater: neotherm or jagger.

I use am aqueon pro in my 5g. Temp is spot on. More accurate than my jagger ever was(even with calibrating)

Tests: 

For cycling api ammonia, nitrite, nitrate are fine

For alk, ca, phos salifert. (I liked the Hanna Alk checker but mine went caputs after 3 months and a headache to deal with 6 mnth only warranty...i won't recommend it now)

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks for all the help guys. I ended up grabbing my setup today. I opted to buy everything from my LFS rather than save a few bucks online and start to build a solid relationship with a great shop. He told me to hold off on pretty much everything yall did. Got the 425 pump(well worth the extra 5 bucks), 30lbs of fugi pink live sand, and 29lbs of live rock. I'm going to grab a heater in a week or so and I'll be waiting to put in a skimmer until I start adding livestock in a month or however long it takes to get my levels adequate. Just got everything all setup so I'll try to post some pictures once the water clears up. 

• Like 1