Top Shelf Aquatics

Is this the correct way to place a clam?

Csalt

It's a maxima. Not sure if it's suppose to be slightly on it's side like in the pic or if the point is suppose to be strait down. Place it in the sand bed with something hard under?

Xgv5ICN.jpg

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian
1 minute ago, Csalt said:

It's a maxima. Not sure if it's suppose to be slightly on it's side like in the pic or if the point is suppose to be strait down. Place it in the sand bed with something hard under?

Xgv5ICN.jpg

Maxima clams like to be placed on the rock. Don't worry about the angle; the clam has a foot and can reposition itself a bit. Did you "burp" it?

-Nick

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Maxima clams like to be placed on the rock. Don't worry about the angle; the clam has a foot and can reposition itself a bit. Did you "burp" it?

-Nick

Yes, but I found it on the sand in the morning. Upside down with a decorator crab picking at it. Kinda pissed about that.

Segalplayer

I put mine in the sand a day and then got a small piece of rock like you did and left him on the sand for another day till he attached, then I moved the clam up on a magnet rock I had close to the top of the tank. The clam adjusted itself on the rock to the position it likes, opens up nice and fat

51 minutes ago, Csalt said:

Yes, but I found it on the sand in the morning. Upside down with a decorator crab picking at it. Kinda pissed about that.

Catch the crab, fairly certain decorators are not reef safe. 

• Like 1

Put them a bit into the sand to they don't fall over as easily. I have one laying towards the rockscape at the bottom with a 40ºish angle. I guess they might need to be acclimated, depending on what light you have.. I have no idea actually. I just got one for free and it seems happy so i never bothered to care for it. They seem pretty tough.