Pod Your Reef

Algae Scrubber and Biopellets

blizzardscout2

blizzardscout2

So I believe I have answered my own question but does running both of these make either of them not as efficient? My phosphates have been running a little hight with zero nitrates. Perhaps if I removed the Biopellets my Nitrates would increase allowing my algae scrubber to be more effective. Currently my growth has been quite slow, though there is always some growth. I know I need to get the phosphates down and I just started running GFO to get that back to normal.

All algae growth is limited by the least abundant nutrient, you have correctly identified your problem.   A normal algae nutrient uptake ratio of nitrogen to phosphate is 30:1.

By removing nitrate removing media, you will allow your ATS to operate in Dynamic Equilibrium with system.  As nutrients increase, algae grows faster requiring more harvesting.  

Note:  Depending on your nutrients input,  iron is often a limiting factor in algae growth.

• Like 2