inTank Media Baskets

Segalplayer

Started this tank on March 30, 2017 with stock pump and filter sock, koralia nano from previous tank, and 5 lb of LR, and about 8.5 gallons of saltwater to start.

IMG_0133.JPG

The tank is almost a year old now and some upgrades have happened. (will take some better pics with the camera later)

Equipment

-IM Ti ATO (going to tunze nano ato)

-Ran a kessil a80 for 11 months before going to a radion (diffusion kit/rm

-Jbj 1/15 hp Chiller with 1.0 return

-Sicce 0.5 return

- inTank Media rack with 2 filer floss on top, seachem matrix, bottom two filter flosses 

-inTank universal media skimmer

-was running a IM desktop Media Reactor with carbon but since the RMS mount is fairly big i had to remove the reactor (don't mind that because its freaking study!) So in turn I have a Fudge basket that I might run with more matrix in it if the tunze 9001 doesnt work out (coming)

-MP10 wQD

-inTank Frag rock (2)

- 5 lb LR

-3 lb Sand (going to take down to less lb's till its barley covered probably

-Cobalt Aquatics Neotherm 100w heater

- 6.5 chemipure

Live Stock:

- Rainbow Acans

- Duncans

- Walking Aussie Duncan

- Purple Tipped Frogspawn

- Young Maxima Clam

- Rock anemone

-3 nassarius snails

-3 Trochus Snail

-3 Aussie young scolymia/s? LOL

-Side plant is  one of 3 succulents I got at a baby shower and decided to try to grow it under the XR-15 instead of my bedroom window lol, so if they switch out ever that why. Let me know if you have any thoughts on the tank! Plan on upgrading to a Lagoon 25 at some point this year I hope!

IMG_0900.PNG

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
Segalplayer

Here's a backside shot

IMG_0862.jpg

Also I feed the tank Fauna Marin LPS Grow + Color. Corals respond great at anytime of the day as long as the flow is reduced.

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

Stats: Testing with Hanna, Mag with Salifer, and sal with calibrated refractometer

alk: 8.5 dKH

Sal: 1.025

Calcium: 420

Magnesium: 1350

PO4: 4-13 ppb--> 0.012-0.040

Noticed frogspawn head splitting, weird pic but has three mouth and two are...releasing waste... 

IMG_0893.jpg

• Like 2
Segalplayer

Different views of the tank:

Trying to revive a Brain 

Also added my other inTank magnet rock and put the clam on it, so I am expecting some algae growth on the newer magnet probably some hair too. I am going to use puddy to make the rock the clam is on stick to the magnet rock in the back since it has opened up nice there and I do not want it to fall on the frogspawn. 

(might get a sps frag tonight who knows)

Next up is to remove the back baffle in prep for the Tunze 9001. Also the Tunze ATO should be here relatively soon so gotta figure out how I am gonna put the DI/RO water higher than the tank, or put some sort of loop higher up so water doesn’t flow down to the pump and drain the tank. Loved the IM ATO but the suction cups suck let’s be honest. It was time for a upgrade to magnets so they stay put!

C7C17549-177A-4C3D-913D-11B4ED61DBA4.jpeg

EFEB96D8-FED1-41EA-92B2-E4EBFF431442.jpeg

7FB80569-26EF-4F9E-8354-E29F3CF764CE.jpeg

• Like 1
Segalplayer

Just got this to do some tidying up of cables finally! 

Also since I have to unhook everything I am going to do my pump cleaning ect. Was also thinking about taking out the back baffle today. 

So so I’ll post a before pic of my mess of cables yikes. Wish me luck lol l. (1 week till the tank is one year old so doing it ore manufacturer warranty) here’s the clam too!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
Segalplayer
2 hours ago, lilmatty5dimes said:

Tank looks great really love those acans. Following along. 

Thank you!! Much appreciated. Acans are one of my favorites in the tank right now!

Segalplayer

Hey all, finished with the redo of the back of the tank! Got my go ahead I needed from @StevieT to take out the baffle lol.  I have some power supply mounts coming in the mail so that is why they are not mounted...also thinking about getting hooks instead of the zip ties for easier refinement of placement and ease of movement for cleaning. Looks way better and I am glad I can see all the things I’d want to at a glance of the tank (equipment wise).  

I was was able to take out the back baffle and it is pretty nice to have the room in the back. This was in prep for the Tunze 9001 coming. I cut the silicone with a utility knife, I ended up breaking  the tip off but it still worked. It was a little more difficult than I thought but worth it.

In order to take out the baffle I did the following:

1. Drained the backside of the tank with a extremely small tube lol, get a bigger one forsure. 

F51FDD8E-7BE6-4D61-8874-47AAF4DB9522.jpeg

2. Cut the sides with the utility knife over and over till the knife made it through the sides (took about 30 min...talk about a hand cramp haha)304BBFEB-C6E5-42B1-9DC6-127D425461A8.jpeg

3. Pulled out the piece of glass (notice all the junk at the bottom)

69A32067-259E-4B28-B273-DBD1A7579AA5.jpegF1469DE2-DD72-46F0-8487-C4D830D34663.jpeg

4. Cleaned the backside with salt water, filled the backside up to the false bottom and sucked out all the nasty crud with my turkey baster. This would have been easier with a good sized tubing to shove it down under the false bottom and keep dumping water but didn’t have good the tubing I do so. 

(I used a gallon to do this as I wanted no silicon, glass, or left over detritus in the back. 

5. I did put the IM desktop media reactor pump in the back corner of the glass wall to not have a dead zone in the back. I will plug this in at will but thinking about a timer for it possibly...I hate this pump it is the loudest thing on my tank at ~92gph really!:angry:

6. Refilled the backside with the equipment and then filled the bback and front  with saltwater to the appropriate level. I didn't keep track but I think I used about 3 gallons to refill the back and front. 481782A2-0696-4966-9E6C-14B304572F05.jpeg

Lastly I re-did my power situation bcs it was out of wack. I used small zip ties On a peg board to do this. I probably will redo it again to clean it up, but it makes it way easier to tell what’s what and not to mention I have good drip loops! Also power is no where near the tank now so yay! Here’s what it looks like for now! 

39801B7E-35BE-473E-860D-F4F3FD95A1FA.jpeg

I will test the parameters because I did do like a 3.5+ Gal water change...used the last of my LFS saltwater and added some Red Sea salt to raise the salinity to match the tank. I'm going to be using my own saltwater from now on Red Sea salt , but not the Pro. 

Thanks for stopping by fellow reefers and hope this helps someone!

• Like 2
Segalplayer

Stats:

Sal:     1.025

Alk      7.9         added 1 mL of Part B which took it to 8.1, I will add another 1 mL every 12 hr till its back to 8.6

Calc    394        added 0.6mL part A

P04    12ppb---> 0.037 ppm

Mg     0.06 mL left in salifer test tube which is 1410

Will test all again in Tonight or Sat. But here is some top shots of the tank with my iPhone.

46437B9F-C9E0-4121-9CB1-4517425A56FE.jpeg

210179D8-B462-4FDD-98AA-4F2A933FF1CC.jpeg

BB920C12-2D96-4E48-B04F-3E5B433118B4.jpeg

6A7FE9C1-4B90-4ADF-B054-6D634AEE597F.jpeg

• Like 2
On 3/20/2018 at 11:54 AM, Segalplayer said:

Started this tank on March 30, 2017 with stock pump and filter sock, koralia nano from previous tank, and 5 lb of LR, and about 8.5 gallons of saltwater to start.

IMG_0133.JPG

The tank is almost a year old now and some upgrades have happened. (will take some better pics with the camera later)

Equipment

-Sicce 0.5 return

- inTank Media rack with 2 filer floss on top, seachem matrix, bottom two filter flosses 

-was running a IM desktop Media Reactor with carbon but since the RMS mount is fairly big i had to remove the reactor (don't mind that because its freaking study!) So in turn I have a Fudge basket that I might run with more matrix in it if the tunze 9001 doesnt work out (coming)

-MP10 wQD

-inTank Frag rock (2)

- 5 lb LR

- 6.5 chemipure

Live Stock:

- Rainbow Acans

- Duncans

- Walking Aussie Duncan

- Young Maxima Clam

- Rock anemone

-3 nassarius snails

-3 Trochus Snail

-Side plant is  one of 3 succulents I got at a baby shower and decided to try to grow it under the XR-15 instead of my bedroom window lol, so if they switch out ever that why. Let me know if you have any thoughts on the tank! Plan on upgrading to a Lagoon 25 at some point this year I hope!

IMG_0900.PNG

Is the kessill worth buying? Did you have good results with it?

• Like 1
Segalplayer
18 hours ago, BJG said:

Is the kessill worth buying? Did you have good results with it?

Hello there @BJG, I saw great growth stuff has doubled in size under it, color is okay (blue and white only) , and I loved the shimmer. I did run it with the spectral controller for ramping and for me it was perfect for this ten gal. I will keep it for this tank when I upgrade and use the XR-15 on the bigger tank. I really liked the Kessil a80.

My only complaints would be that it doesn’t truly go down to 1% but actually 5% before switching off...I had my turn off around 5am so it was kinda blue in my room till then. As well as that there were only 5 time points (I wanted like 1 more timepoint on the controller but I’m not sure how many ai prime is able to have) 

other people will probably recommend the prime with the WiFi connection. I Have no experience with them except store demos. My LFS was trying to get me to buy a prime at first but I liked the Kessil better, I wouldn’t have probably been mad at all if I gave the ai prime a whirl (If it comes with the Red Sea tank it can’t be aweful lol) but I chose the a80.

I think the a80 I picked up for 220 on amazon as a whole

The prime is 200 I believe. 

If I could do it again, I would honestly flip a coin to decide because both lights interested me from the start; however the Kessil shimmer got me.  

Segalplayer

So I redid the cabling after making a run to Home Depot and finding a couple things that I wanted to put on the peg board. Also for those of you with a super good eye, I added another one of my succulents from my window to the 2nd magnet the clam is on. I turned it the opposite way of the light to see if it turns towards the light.  The cable drapped over the front is the pump under the false bottom. 

E0861307-672B-4663-8BA7-701D956B705D.jpeg

I ran the cable thorough the backside with two different holes 

1 hole for cables I’ll remove frequently like pumps and heater for cleaning

the other hole for lighting, mp10, and ato which don't really need to be pulled at all. 

3E465A11-0EFB-4AA6-8D9B-2E42010DF29D.jpeg

I found these dope cable holders so I put two on the backside of my stand for cleaner cable runs and two on the backside of the pegboard to support the cable (I

need to get two more for the bottom holes cables) . These are the tools i used lol. 

9B67BDBB-4883-4180-8B41-BB2344E2EE2D.jpeg

Backside shot of the cables running down the back of the tank.

26505E1C-9B99-490B-B566-C3E240B514DB.jpeg

Behind the Peg board

FECDF4B6-9765-4BB3-A37E-EE3D8759847E.jpeg

Closer up clean shot!

030F92B5-12E9-41E6-9450-75A810EDC4BE.jpeg

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @Segalplayer, awesome nano reef you've built! That maxima clam on the floating island is the coolest, how long have you had it?

Great guide on removing the IM10 NUVO rear chamber baffle, thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1
Segalplayer
Just now, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome to the community @Segalplayer, awesome nano reef you've built! That maxima clam on the floating island is the coolest, how long have you had it?

Great guide on removing the IM10 NUVO rear chamber baffle, thanks for sharing.

Thanks @Christopher Marks it means a lot!! The baby maxima clam was put in the tank on March 11th. The islands are so dope!!!

• Like 1
Segalplayer
20 hours ago, mystersyster said:

Really cool little nano! Very unique, and I love the succulents. 

I like your clams and royal gramma! Thank you!

• Like 1
On 3/20/2018 at 11:54 AM, Segalplayer said:

IMG_0133.JPG

Equipment

-Sicce 0.5 return

-MP10 wQD

-inTank Frag rock (2)

- 5 lb LR

- 6.5 chemipure

Live Stock:

- Rainbow Acans

- Duncans

- Walking Aussie Duncan

- Young Maxima Clam

- Rock anemone

-3 nassarius snails

-3 Trochus Snail

IMG_0900.PNG

Just wondering what all you used to cycle and how long it took to cycle

• Like 1