inTank Media Baskets

Help with ideas for choosing an AIO frag tank!

Butchy21

I am looking into setting up a frag tank- around 20-25 gallon size due to limited space.  I was considering a fusion 20 or the lagoon 25 gallon, as these have similar footprints, however the lagoon may require two distinct lights due to it’s increased width.  

I am interested in hearing people's experiences with AIO tanks of this size and how well they would work as a frag tank-  Advantages/ Disadvantages over other options?  Please chime in with other suggestions as well!

Some pros that are appealing for a tank of this size:

1. AIO offers a lot of features that would allow me to hide most of the equipment- heater, nano skimmer, filter media, thus eliminating HOB equipment 

2. Comes with some circulation included, meaning I could get away with a single small power head in the tank

3. I can upgrade my main tank’s lights and reuse my Marine orbit LED’s (24” strip)

Does anyone run a fuge with their tanks?  I would not have the room to set up a sump with the AIO so I would consider making an aqua clear 50/70 fuge mod - I am guessing I could put it so it’s return goes into the main back chamber?  My main goal is the lowest maintenance frag tank possible -  with a small bioload (1 fish to feed the corals)- I could probably have great water conditions with filter media/ skimmer only though.  

Thanks for any input!

I love my im lagoon 25. the long low layout along with the dual output would mean setting it up as a frag tank wouldn't be a big deal.

it would be very easy to do a tiered style eggcrate setup.

I dont run a refugium in it however. but I do have an AI hydra 26HD on mine and as far as lighting goes I dont see why I would need to add any more.

I can grow acros from the center all the way out to the edges of the tank.

also in the system is an IM mini reactor with some biopellets. an Eshopps nano skimmer and some InTank filter holders.

I would say it would perform wonderfully a Frag tank.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, corey01 said:

I love my im lagoon 25. the long low layout along with the dual output would mean setting it up as a frag tank wouldn't be a big deal.

it would be very easy to do a tiered style eggcrate setup.

I dont run a refugium in it however. but I do have an AI hydra 26HD on mine and as far as lighting goes I dont see why I would need to add any more.

I can grow acros from the center all the way out to the edges of the tank.

also in the system is an IM mini reactor with some biopellets. an Eshopps nano skimmer and some InTank filter holders.

I would say it would perform wonderfully a Frag tank.

Awesome info!  Ya I would def be thinking about doing a tiered egg crate setup - giving some good options on frag placement.  Glad to hear a single Hydra HD would work out well- I am always 50/50 on what the companies suggest for best coverage a light can do versus maximum coverage.  Either way I could put lower light corals on the edges if this was a concern and corals adapt pretty well.  My current display tank is a 26 gallon bowfront- which is pretty tall at 20", so moving anything to a much shallower fusion 20 or lagoon 25 would be bumping up the light strength as well.

How does the Eshopps nano skimmer work for you?  It seemed a little tricky to find one that fits in the back chamber well.

What is the idea behind running in tank filter holders instead of the stock filter socks?

23 minutes ago, Butchy21 said:

Awesome info!  Ya I would def be thinking about doing a tiered egg crate setup - giving some good options on frag placement.  Glad to hear a single Hydra HD would work out well- I am always 50/50 on what the companies suggest for best coverage a light can do versus maximum coverage.  Either way I could put lower light corals on the edges if this was a concern and corals adapt pretty well.  My current display tank is a 26 gallon bowfront- which is pretty tall at 20", so moving anything to a much shallower fusion 20 or lagoon 25 would be bumping up the light strength as well.

How does the Eshopps nano skimmer work for you?  It seemed a little tricky to find one that fits in the back chamber well.

What is the idea behind running in tank filter holders instead of the stock filter socks?

the stock filter socks are hard to clean and rather expensive. I still have them in the drawer under the tank. I always think to myself ill use them to polish water one day lol.

I use a product/company called pinky filters  a 12' x 12" roll is 10 dollars shipped. just cut to fit and throw away after 2-3 days and replace. a single roll lasts my biocube (when it was the only tank)  almost an entire year. so its not very expensive.

I also used the intank filters with my biocube so I just automatically got them for this tank. although I will say I havent used them like the biocube has. I run purigen and chemipure in my cube. and I honestly dont run anything like that in the lagoon as far as media. but the option is there should I want it.

the Eshopps skimmer I picked up recently at a frag show. came with a bundle of a 12"x12"x12" AIO cube and the skimmer for 45 dollars. I figured it was worth it just for the skimmer and honestly I have been very pleased with how its turned out. it way outperforms my old RO-ns80, to the point I cannot even compare the 2. and I havent had nearly the same microbubble problem I had with the ns-80.  the skimmer was missing the magnet but I was not concerned as I made a small platform out of eggcrate and zipties and slid it down into the 2nd chamber at the height I wanted the skimmer at, its worked perfectly. 

for the price I paid I am extremely pleased. and have been toying with the idea of buying one at full price for my biocube. even though its probably not needed.

and just to note I have my hydra 26 on IIRC the 16" flexable arm AI sells so the light is up there and I believe it tops out around 80% output and seems sufficient.

2 hours ago, corey01 said:

the stock filter socks are hard to clean and rather expensive. I still have them in the drawer under the tank. I always think to myself ill use them to polish water one day lol.

I use a product/company called pinky filters  a 12' x 12" roll is 10 dollars shipped. just cut to fit and throw away after 2-3 days and replace. a single roll lasts my biocube (when it was the only tank)  almost an entire year. so its not very expensive.

I also used the intank filters with my biocube so I just automatically got them for this tank. although I will say I havent used them like the biocube has. I run purigen and chemipure in my cube. and I honestly dont run anything like that in the lagoon as far as media. but the option is there should I want it.

the Eshopps skimmer I picked up recently at a frag show. came with a bundle of a 12"x12"x12" AIO cube and the skimmer for 45 dollars. I figured it was worth it just for the skimmer and honestly I have been very pleased with how its turned out. it way outperforms my old RO-ns80, to the point I cannot even compare the 2. and I havent had nearly the same microbubble problem I had with the ns-80.  the skimmer was missing the magnet but I was not concerned as I made a small platform out of eggcrate and zipties and slid it down into the 2nd chamber at the height I wanted the skimmer at, its worked perfectly. 

for the price I paid I am extremely pleased. and have been toying with the idea of buying one at full price for my biocube. even though its probably not needed.

and just to note I have my hydra 26 on IIRC the 16" flexable arm AI sells so the light is up there and I believe it tops out around 80% output and seems sufficient.

Wow awesome deal on a small AIO tank and skimmer- def worth trying to see how it does at that price.  If unhappy with it, you couldve easily sold it off.

So the pinky filters that you cut- they go into a media basket basically within your filter?  Everyone is running some type of floss.. and i dont know where to put it in my filtration since I have an Aquaclear 70- modded so it has a small compartment with chemi pure and a larger compartment acting as a fuge- rock rubble and macro algae.

yup thats right. they sit right in the holder. you can get them from the Intank website https://shop.mediabaskets.com/Fusion-Lagoon-25_c134.htm

I run mine with a full size media basket on one side. and the smaller cheaper floss holder on the opposite side.

its not required or anything. but I really wasn't feeling filter socks especially after running them for a few days and trying to clean them the first time.

Edit: although its very interesting to see all of the IM products that seem to be on a hefty discount ATM.

@StevieT whats going on with the hard discounts? IM isnt closing up shop are they? site says 15% but im seeing more like 50%