Cultivated Reef

my fluval 13.5

clinton w

Hi Nano-reef people. I wanted to share my tank with the forum. It's an Evo 13.5, which so far I'm really digging as a new marine hobbyist. It's 3 months in, and it is stocked with:

2 Ocellaris clowns

2 purple darts

1 sand sifting star

1 fire shrimp

1 emerald crab

3 tiger stripe snails

I've been running perfect numbers in the water, but I've also upgraded a bit to keep up with the waste all the critters produce. Of course I made these upgrades after reading all the fantastic posts on this site. It really has been a help! So far I have: swapped the stock pump to the Eheim compact 1000 (which runs a little hot even at halfway to keep the tank at 77 degrees), this blows all the waste out of the tank much better than the stock. I have to shut it off during feeding so the star gets his share. I took out the bio bag and added a second bag of charcoal matrix. There is also a 6.5 bag of chemi-pure in the second chamber under the sponge filter. I also added the specified skimmer, which works very well, and I opened up the chamber lid openings with my dremel drill so the thicker cords let the lid sit. 

I do the 10% change once a week, and haven't had to scrape algae much. I do see it form through and the snails polish it off pretty quick. Last month there was a fantastic bacteria bloom which made the tank milky white, but it went away after about 12 days. 

After reading other posts I'll wait until the tank is about 5 months old before i add an anemone, then month 6 I'll try a coral. 

I'll ask questions if anything weird pops up, but so far everything in there seems to be real happy. 

Thanks for having this site!!

-c 

IMG_1320.JPG

• Like 1
HarryPotter

It looks awesome! How long has it been up? I didn’t think the stock lighting could support an anemone :( 

Make sure to get all the way down when you clean the sand, you don’t want any buildup. 

Looks good. I love firefish.

The only advice is possibly customizing the filtration.

Making a media basket or buying one is a benefit for better filtering.

Ditching the sponge. They are nutrient factories. Replace with filter floss.  Its cheap, buy it in bulk, cut to size, replace twice a week.

When you say charcoal do you mean activated carbon? If so 2 bags of it plus chemipure is too much. Chemipure is carbon. 

You can use too much carbon.

• 3 weeks later...

When I'm out for a couple days, I added this Eheim self feeder. I opened up the feeding hole in the cover with the dremel drill, then inserted the Eheim feeding station snug into the opening. I'll share if it goes okay or not. 

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. The skull gives it a bit of a unique n interesting look. I don’t see too many decorations in reef tanks. I’d be tempted to grow some zoas or gsp on top of it for hair. 

• Like 1