Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nuvo 10 Chaeto Reactor

IlliniMed

1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

What’s your budget for the light? And what kind of fuge were you thinking of? I couldn’t find your aquarium under your profile.

Really? I have 4 tanks all with journals...odd.

I'm trying to keep it under $30. I plan on making my own box and just placing chaeto in it.

It will go in my back chamber.

A Little Blue
3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Really? I have 4 tanks all with journals...odd.

I'm trying to keep it under $30. I plan on making my own box and just placing chaeto in it.

It will go in my back chamber.

I probably suck at navigating the site. 😔

$30 might work for back chamber fuge. 

I run Kessil A80 Flora fuge light (some say that it’s an overkill) and I love it. Two chambers were converted to fuge. 

And I just found second hand IM chaetomax 2in1 fuge light that I might grab for $40. 

Sorry I couldn’t find your tanks. I’ll figure it out. 

2 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

I probably suck and navigating the site. 😔

$30 might work for back chamber fuge. 

I run Kessil A80 Flora fuge light (some say that it’s an overkill) and I love it. Two chambers were converted to fuge. 

And I just found second hand IM chaetomax 2in1 fuge light that I might grab for $40. 

Sorry I couldn’t find your tanks. I’ll figure it out. 

I'm not great with navigating it either. lol

Also signatures don't appear on the mobile version..i wish they did.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
33 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I'm not great with navigating it either. lol

Also signatures don't appear on the mobile version..i wish they did.

I found 10&Lagoon in “posted threads”. 🤓

• Like 1
On 3/20/2018 at 8:17 AM, IlliniMed said:

Thank you for all of this great information! I appreciate you taking the time to teach me something as I enter this hobby. My question to you would be this... if we are trying to go with "more natural" wouldn't the media reactor converted to a cheato reactor in the back make this a reality? Throwing the algea in the back chambers would not do anything because (From my understanding) you need at least 20% water volume dedicated to the reactor for it to even be worth while. The only way to get this to work on a tiny Nuvo10 would be the hang on the back reactor. This is for reference as to what I want to do 

Using a media reactor as a chaeto reactor should work.  

I ask you, why do you think you need a chaeto reactor?  How difficult is it to prune chaeto from reactor?  

In looking at your reef  husbandry, I see much emphasis on nutrien export as opposed to nutrient recycling (in tank live food production).  For system longevity, I suggest you start looking at nutrient recycling.

Nocturnal
On 5/3/2018 at 1:18 AM, Clown79 said:

I'm so sorry. I never saw my name tagged on this.

I don't really think there is a wrong or right way. There are many ways to run a tank. 

Some are stickers for "you must do this" but really, there are so many hobbiests doing things differently and ending up with the same results.

I don't think fuge, reactor, or skimmers are necessary on all nano's but that doesn't mean there aren't benefits when using them.

Chaeto is a nice natural method. Many say a fuge needs to be 20% of the tank volume for good results but there are many who have a different opinion because they got results with their mini fuge.

I think lighting is a main factor of success with chaeto and flow.

I'd like to set one up myself and test the theory. If I could find an affordable light I plan to.

In an aio you can certainly remove the vinyl, set up chamber with chaeto and light on the rear. What harm can be done trying it out besides the expense?

And Yes, I am a she😊

I agree. Lighting is more often the limiting factor for fuges than volume. I don't think volume matters much at all. Chaeto grows from light and nutrients.  Light comes from your errr light, and nutrients are delivered by flow, not volume of water.

• 2 months later...