ReefCleaners.org

Could my biofilter have survived?

Menidia

Last week (Tuesday-Thursday morning) I had no electricity and unfortunately lost my clown and cardinalfish. The water temperature had dropped to about 50 degrees and no water flow. 

I was looking at the tank today and saw some movement and noticed 4-5 pods scooting around.. I know they're pretty tough but if they survived could my bio filter have to an extent? I'll test the water tomorrow and see what's going on, as the water was pretty cloudy but is clearing now. 

It's not only possible, it's probable. True, bacterial colonies tend to thrive in warmer environments but that doesn't mean they don't exist in cold water. Heck, any diver in Southern California can tell you all about cold water live rock, corals, inverts and fish. A loss of water flow and/or oxygen would be more detrimental to the bio filter IMHO. 

Thank you both! I feel a lot better, those little pods were quite exciting to see. 

My my display tank is at 0ppm ammonia, 1ppm nitrites, 0ppm nitrates. It's been 5 days since the tank started running again, and I'm pretty sure there are two dead snails in there somewhere. I'm confused about the nitrates though.. 

• 2 weeks later...

In  150G Rubbermade grow out tanks outside, temperature has dropped to 42 degrees.  Some urchins died, but mollies and pods survived.  Low temperature is not as lethal as low oxygen from no flow.