Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Coral ID - I think I've made a mistake.

Jessienzo

Hello everyone!

I got a coral for my lfs yesterday thinking it was a blasto (they were wide open like an ombrella, not like a donut). 

But now that they are home, they look totally different and I'm worry I got an acan :(

(Didn't want an acan since I have read they are more agressive. Plus, if I wanted an acan, I would have choosen one with attractive colors lol) 

Could you help me to identify it? I dont know if my lfs would agree to exchange it... But I may take to chance to ask them.

Thank you!

IMG_20180319_113329.jpg

IMG_20180319_113258.jpg

IMG_20180319_113508.jpg

burtbollinger
6 minutes ago, Jessienzo said:

Thanks! You just confirmed what I thought.... unfortunately. My bad! ?

frankly, I'd put it near the bottom side of the tank and learn how to care for it....its a good learner coral as far as LPS goes....keeping your alk. stable, etc.

not sure what you are concerned with about aggressiveness...I'd not have any sort of concerns in that regard whatsoever.

• Like 1

Never seen mine do anything aggressive to corals nearby. If you don't like the coral, ask them for an exchange but otherwise it may color up in time.

Acan lord.

Never seen any of mine be aggressive.

Acan enchinata is aggressive.

To be honest, a lot of corals are aggressive.

They all have something to protect themselves, be it releasing toxins, sweeper tentacles, or growing over neighbouring corals.

This is something everyone has to take into account with owning corals. 

Thanks everyone for your input. 

What's the physical difference between acan lord and enchinata?

The reason I wanted (and still want) blasto is because they are mostly considered to be passive towards others corals. I understand the risk of corals arming others if they get into there personal space. I was trying to get some with smaller personal spaces lol 

For the acan I now have, well, I don't hate it. It's just that there's so much more attractive colors to choose from... And I'm stock with a brownish one lol 

Acan enchinata and acan lords looks completely different. Lords have multiple seperate heads where as enchinata doesn't.

Green is enchinata 1st pic

Red is lord 2nd

If you run more blues to white your acan probably will have more blue colours than Brown. 

Here's one of mine under different lighting. Looks different in colour (last 2 pics)

20180309_170224.jpg

20180110_123707.jpg

20180320_020455.jpg

20180320_020709.jpg

Acan enchinatas are known to be more aggressive as they can send out very long and powerful sweepers out at night to attack and kill nearby corals.

Rest easy, you will not have any issues with long, stinging sweepers with the Acan that you purchased.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Water Dog said:

Acan enchinatas are known to be more aggressive as they can send out very long and powerful sweepers out at night to attack and kill nearby corals.

Rest easy, you will not have any issues with long, stinging sweepers with the Acan that you purchased.

That's for sure! I had an anchinata take out an acan overnight.

Well this mistake made me learn new things on acan! That's not too bad haha 
Anyway, I've moved it down on the sandbed, as suggested, in a corner of my tank and it looks happier now. 

Clown79, yours look pretty with all the different colors on the first picture. I'm slowly thinking to get an AI Prime this summer. My corals seem to do fine under the stock light, but colors are definitely not as nice. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Jessienzo said:

Well this mistake made me learn new things on acan! That's not too bad haha 
Anyway, I've moved it down on the sandbed, as suggested, in a corner of my tank and it looks happier now. 

Clown79, yours look pretty with all the different colors on the first picture. I'm slowly thinking to get an AI Prime this summer. My corals seem to do fine under the stock light, but colors are definitely not as nice. 

I love acans. I have too many. Lol.

Definitely one of my fav corals.

Blastos are great too.

I love lps. I have sps and wish I didn't!

The Ai is a great light. Best thing I ever got for my tank 

• 1 month later...

My acans are doing better I think :) 

I've made space for more acans around it, I'll try to make a small acans garden! Haha 

(So, if you think you have too much of them, tou can ship them to me :P lol ) 

IMG_20180425_071732-01.jpeg

• Like 1