inTank Media Baskets

tanacharison

Cannedfish
1 hour ago, tanacharison said:

@Cannedfish You are the man! Check out the pictures.

42006087131_a4358e0a62_z.jpg

27136673537_8043394ef4_z.jpg

42006086821_a2ed0dca33_z.jpg

Hope the questionably built porthole viewer works out for you! Fun fact: approximately one second after completing the note card the fountain pen I was stupidly writing with exploded and I spent the rest of the day fielding questions about whether I was turning into a smurf. Also I’m digging the acro in the first pic!

• Like 1
tanacharison
22 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Oh man, I really need to step up my game on photography. 

Tank looks great, frags look very happy. 

I wish I had the photography skills everyone else had.  Sorry about the acro issues they are a addictive yet challenging beast.  That new nps gorg is nice looking!

22 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Hope the questionably built porthole viewer works out for you! Fun fact: approximately one second after completing the note card the fountain pen I was stupidly writing with exploded and I spent the rest of the day fielding questions about whether I was turning into a smurf. Also I’m digging the acro in the first pic! 

It's a ASD Sour Lemon. I really wanted a yellowish acro so I snagged it on a Saturday sale. If It grows well i'll send you a frag on the house. So far it's encrusted the most in the new tank. I absolutely love the viewer!

• Like 1
tanacharison

Picked up a few classics during the JF live sale. I can't wait to post some pictures. I think I have everything I want for corals.. time to grow a reef! No cyano in sump anymore after deep cleaning and adding the new macros. I lowered the beam to 25% max until everything adjusted well. 

Cannedfish

Shoot! Everything looking good!! Especially certain frags from a certain unscrupulous South Florida hooligan. 

(Edit: had to use an adjective that made HP sound edgy and villainous, because the way he is able to grow acros is straight criminal)

• Haha 2
HarryPotter
13 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Shoot! Everything looking good!! Especially certain frags from a certain unscrupulous South Florida hooligan. 

Next time he needs to send me bigger containers 🤬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
tanacharison
7 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Next time he needs to send me bigger containers 🤬

Someone needs to support the little guys! And just for @Cannedfish I will reference all South Florida corals using HP.  It's better everyone knows where my steroid ridden acros come from. I don't want my tank drug tested. #HPGreenMili #HPRainbowStick 😂 But seriously that one acropora tenuis is looking wild. 

• Like 1
tanacharison

Moved some corals around and finally took the LC order off the frag rack. I'm excited to see them encrust and grow. 

FTS

41315165635_dba758df49_z.jpg

Crazy top down picture..

42215681931_cfbb9bea26_z.jpg

Did some mounting on the backwall

27344677257_e4d10ded4c_z.jpg

The order from @HarryPotter is starting to color up really nice!

40408756050_20488792dd_z.jpg

New additions.. UC Strawberry Shortcake, JF Fox Flame, JF Farmer Red ( Broken off plug and moved but I kept the plug nub lol) Pallieta Pink Tip

41494628574_0b9b76d449_z.jpg

Checking out the favias

27344678787_4cf3b651c7_z.jpg

Showing some crazy colors where its about to split.

27344676277_ff4f186e5e_z.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
tanacharison

Weekly Update. Well it took some time but alk finally started dropping again. Seeing good growth on montis and i'm assuming the 20 acro frags are not helping. Note to anyone interested in using component 1,2,3 it's not a very concentrated additive.. maybe because of all the trace elements included. I'm also slowing the coral feedings with the slight fuzz I'm seeing on my new base rock. I need to update the CUC but I was not sure what exactly I would need with the filtration set up.  I think i'm rocking 3 snails in the 55 right now. 😇 I will say the tang is always picking at the rocks. Added a tunze 6055 to help with flow and it's a freaking beast!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
tanacharison

I think the Zoa island will soon be lost.. Might need to protect the acan.

42580776382_24821871a3_z.jpg

Gold Nugget Psammacora starting to encrust on the backwall 😍

28758014998_f75a3f222c_z.jpg

That fresh dry rock got covered fast!

42580775942_01dfe2248d_z.jpg

Getting too big. I might frag this soon.

28758014228_477e75fd78_z.jpg

• Like 1
tanacharison
13 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Looking great man! If that was my echinata it would have nuked that entire island by now. It’s a huge d-bag!

It's actually my oldest coral.. Check out the OG pic

untitled-1-11_zpsmczndqq5.jpg

• Like 2
tanacharison

Updates... Skimmer was pulling very little so I pulled the stand and it lowered about 1.5, I guess its s good ULNS sign but I know I still have some phosphate lingering.  My guess is a slight imbalance but its nothing I'll try to fix for now. I actually stopped dosing the daily AF probiotic mix to see if I have any changes. I'm seeing cyanophyta start to return to the sump and I'm wondering if I have enough corals and macros to manage the extra nutrients. Maybe it will fix the imbalance? I'll update. Mounted almost all the acros.  Did about 1/2 with extra think glue (what I normally use) and half with epoxy putty. I completely forgot about the skimmer with epoxy and its went nuts. Now I'm back to using the skimmer stand and I have air bubbles everywhere. 😟 I already lost a acro post mounting as my usual luck continues but none of the favorites.  Guess I'll be looking for a JF fox flame at RAP NY... maybe I'll sneak a deal on Friday.

41782599725_4378b4a6d4_z.jpg

• Like 1
mitten_reef
59 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

Updates... Skimmer was pulling very little so I pulled the stand and it lowered about 1.5, I guess its s good ULNS sign but I know I still have some phosphate lingering.  My guess is a slight imbalance but its nothing I'll try to fix for now. I actually stopped dosing the daily AF probiotic mix to see if I have any changes. I'm seeing cyanophyta start to return to the sump and I'm wondering if I have enough corals and macros to manage the extra nutrients. Maybe it will fix the imbalance? I'll update. Mounted almost all the acros.  Did about 1/2 with extra think glue (what I normally use) and half with epoxy putty. I completely forgot about the skimmer with epoxy and its went nuts. Now I'm back to using the skimmer stand and I have air bubbles everywhere. 😟 I already lost a acro post mounting as my usual luck continues but none of the favorites.  Guess I'll be looking for a JF fox flame at RAP NY... maybe I'll sneak a deal on Friday.

41782599725_4378b4a6d4_z.jpg

Did you mean that you just lost a fox flame?  😩 sorry about that.

Permanently mounting acros anywhere in the tank is my worst nightmare - I hate to commit.  One of my rocks, to me, is just a frag forest right now. Mostly because I buy unknown frags and I never know how the colors or growth shape would pan out to be. Even if u r expecting some shapes or forms, they may not like your lighting or parameters, or both to show what u had expected. 

• Like 1
tanacharison
On 6/9/2018 at 9:47 PM, micoastreefing said:

Did you mean that you just lost a fox flame?  😩 sorry about that.

Permanently mounting acros anywhere in the tank is my worst nightmare - I hate to commit.  One of my rocks, to me, is just a frag forest right now. Mostly because I buy unknown frags and I never know how the colors or growth shape would pan out to be. Even if u r expecting some shapes or forms, they may not like your lighting or parameters, or both to show what u had expected. 

Yep the fox flame is dead.. It only paid $20 unlike the crazy prices I've seen for this one.  Now I just need to get lucky at RAP NY.  I will be there Friday hoping to snag some early deals. The acan finally went after my pink monti, bleached out about 3 inches already. 😡 Broke it back a good bit in hopes it continues to grow the other direction. We both have out of control montipora.

tanacharison

Sloppy FTS

42843873751_4a2f4c5196_z.jpg

He thinks this is his little forest to hide in..

27974681807_068be92922_z.jpg

Less and less shy each day. Eats frozen mysis now along with algae pellets.

42795282502_4aa7b80d56_z.jpg

This has become a very popular freeway in the tank. Everything collects on this side of the poly island with the tunze blowing along the back end. I guess everyone is looking for food to collect here.  Mostly fish poo and favias but this goni loves it.

42795283012_a4ae4b7edd_z.jpg

• Like 1
tanacharison

Everything is going well not dosing the daily bacteria and my micro bubbles are finally gone. Changed out all the RODI filters. My resin was probably a little over due and that could explain some poor results in both tanks.  I decided to do some more testing. My alk actually fluctuates between night and day like others but only by .5 - .8 I haven't tested over a few days to see if I get major difference each day. Cal is still 455 so equally dosing 3 parts is working well so far. I'm not changing anything right now. My phosphate was .02 and I'm actually surprised. I guess I was assuming it would be higher. Sounds like a green light to feed more.

Corals Exploding: Montis, Acans, Zoas, Psammocora, Purple/blue hammer

Holding color slow growth: Favias, Acros, Mushrooms, Chalices

The not so great list: Millepora seem not to like my tank, Mummy eye Chalice ( always battling with orange ricordia), Supercharger Favia ( Damaged by acan)

tanacharison

All the corals from RAP look great still.  Some of my mounted sps don't look as colorful and happy. I really think it's my system running too clean.  Completed a water change and replaced my media. This time I used a little less zeo mix.. not sure if this will have any change. Going back to my every other day feeding. Alk tested in at 6.9.

43110932661_4dae36f252_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
tanacharison

I'm well overdue for a update... this past holiday was busy and it's not slowing down soon. I survived a 13 hour power outage last week with little or no known losses.  Added a bigger CUC due to algae growth, I think its a kind of turff algae but my new emerald crabs are really doing good work. I'm seeing white rock under my sunset monti from where he hangs out. Mounted all my pick ups at RAP and added a cheep power head to push flow on bottom so I can move my other tunze to push across the top. Anyways more later but for now pictures.

Ugly FTS

41523132820_9624e2c5ce_z.jpg

Jason fox frag tank at RAP

28463727907_4b9b95a5dd_z.jpg

Clam from Dr. Mac at pacific east aquaculture

28463728127_4b2f28ce46_z.jpg

Miami Hurricane Chalice starting to encrust on bare bottom 😍

28463728827_bedb51b793_z.jpg

Legendary Corals Darth Maul Favia encrusting well after mounting to bottom.

28463728937_f05e847591_z.jpg

I'm really hoping this monti grows well and keeps the fantastic rainbow color, the picture does no justice. More to the speckled blue zoa.

28463729077_6f6cac7d5e_z.jpg

This guy is just 🔥

28463729317_03df8f551c_z.jpg

This area is exploding with growth. I keep pulling parts of the monti off due to warfare. I also found my birds nest randomly broken off in the tank and its recovering well here.

28463729817_6fe124f374_z.jpg

Only starting to hit the wall and a showstopper from a distance.

28463729597_1aa6c799f9_z.jpg

• Like 2