inTank Media Baskets

tanacharison

3 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Shaking things up?  R u just shuffling rocks around? Or r u starting the 26 from scratch with the corals that had been growing out in these other systems?  

Well... moving transferring cube over. Moving large rock on right to this take in exchange for the zoa island. Then adding sand to this take?

• 4 weeks later...

Lessons learned.. I really over thought my way of processing nutrients during the first year of this tank. I assumed more was required with the increase in volume and stocking goals but honestly I could have run it much simpler. Long story short aquaforest zeo is now officially done. I discontinued using it 2 months ago and the tank only continues to look better. I'm still using pro bio but not as consistently. Still feeding like a maniac and growth is starting to increase again. Looking forward to a simpler 2019!

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

Lessons learned.. I really over thought my way of processing nutrients during the first year of this tank. I assumed more was required with the increase in volume and stocking goals but honestly I could have run it much simpler. Long story short aquaforest zeo is now officially done. I discontinued using it 2 months ago and the tank only continues to look better. I'm still using pro bio but not as consistently. Still feeding like a maniac and growth is starting to increase again. Looking forward to a simpler 2019!

Amen, simple and stable 2019 for the win. 

• Like 2
Christopher Marks
1 hour ago, tanacharison said:

Cheers to that! 🍻

Coralline algae is really taking over now, cool to see the bare bottom filling in with it! 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
tanacharison

Not as active but I did make a few changes.. I'll update pics later this weekend.

• Added filter cups to replace socks. I picked up cheap ones and they don't fit 100%, could use some rubber gasket but they work really well. Using the floss from in-tank for the first time and if I don't change it out after a few days  my water level in the sock tray starts to rise from build up.
  • Gyre XF350 Its way too much flow but it did replace 3 pumps and has battery back up
  • Bunch of rock from my frag tank in the sump. Seeded it with lots of pods and crazy algae. 
  • Like 4
tanacharison
On 3/21/2019 at 10:26 AM, DaveFason said:

Your coraline is out of the world. I know, sounds silly but great work! 

-D

Thanks Dave! I'm not sure how I managed to score such an amazing growth spurt of it but it looks amazing at night.

As an update from my bad luck I've lost nothing yet. Two acros browned out that's it. Did two large water changes and now I'm around 10 Alk. I bought a ICP test kit last week and wanted to see what my tank looks like but after 50 gallons in water changes the data's probably not worth it. I might test the cube now for fun. 

Need a new dosing system.. leaning towards two Neptune Dos but I'm not sure if it's worth $600. I want a 4 pump option, eazy programming and won't fail on. I guess if the trident comes out and it will sync up that would be nice.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

Thanks Dave! I'm not sure how I managed to score such an amazing growth spurt of it but it looks amazing at night.

As an update from my bad luck I've lost nothing yet. Two acros browned out that's it. Did two large water changes and now I'm around 10 Alk. I bought a ICP test kit last week and wanted to see what my tank looks like but after 50 gallons in water changes the data's probably not worth it. I might test the cube now for fun. 

Need a new dosing system.. leaning towards two Neptune Dos but I'm not sure if it's worth $600. I want a 4 pump option, eazy programming and won't fail on. I guess if the trident comes out and it will sync up that would be nice.

Maybe a GHL 2.1 Doser?

• Like 1
mitten_reef
47 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

What was your doser before?  What about 4 brs dosers, all controlled thru apex, surely that can’t fail-on, can it? I know it’d get a little cluttered. 

• Like 1
tanacharison
34 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

What was your doser before?  What about 4 brs dosers, all controlled thru apex, surely that can’t fail-on, can it? I know it’d get a little cluttered. 

Aqua Medic Reefdoser EVO 4... I actually loved it but after looking at reviews this seems like a common issue. Sadly I don't have 4 open plugs on my apex or it could be a option. 

39 minutes ago, Variant said:

Maybe a GHL 2.1 Doser?

I was looking at the line and very interested in the new auto cal testing attachment that they are testing.  Are you using one?

tanacharison
9 hours ago, Variant said:

I do not have the cal tester, but have a 3 head GHL doser 2.1 for CA, Alk and MG.

Do you like it? Anything you dislike? 

• 2 weeks later...
tanacharison

So I pulled the trigger on a pair of Neptune Dos and it's absolutely amazing! Programming was really easy. I feel like I'm in way more control and one day in the next few years maybe they will come out with trident. 😋

• 2 weeks later...
tanacharison

Well I'm moving again. This time it's the other side of town so it should be a little more challenging. Regardless it's going to be easier to buy a new system and set it up in advance of the transfer. I've also decided to combine livestock together in both tanks, with a busy next year it will hopefully let me focus more on everything and not neglect one for another. 

I'm leaning towards a waterbox 130..I love the depth in the dimensions but I also like the Red Sea tanks. 

• Like 2
tanacharison
42 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

But what about all those corals that encrusted to this tank?? 😔 I’m sure you can pop most of them loose though. 

Oh I knoww! I'm not looking forward to that but I was also afraid of them being exposed to air and tempature drops as I tear down everything and transport it over. I guess I'll test my fragging skills. 

• 2 weeks later...
Tom@HaslettMI
14 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

It sucks not buying coral... 

But think of all the cash you’re saving!  

Good luck with the move. I’m looking forward to watching the new tank come together!

Tom

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
tanacharison

Sooo auto feeder for the win.. My colors are amazing, coral growth explosion. Also skimmate is black. 🤔 It's worth the loud noise it makes but at least the fish react an come up to the feeder. 

• Like 1