Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tamberav's IM 25 Lagoon - Kuiter's Leopard Wrasse!

Tamberav

4 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

wow, that's a lot of clams!  love the bottom left one.  

Thanks! I wanted to hit cheaper shipping so I may have gone a little clam crazy! 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
8 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Someday my tanks will mature and look great (well maybe) and someone will ask me my secret and I will say....

Dirty cat paws!! That is the secret sauce! 😋

That's awesome :smilie:. My kitten has to right there whenever I'm doing anything with the tanks...He has got to stay off of my 75 though, the glass has paw prints all over it lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Frag tank! Prob be awhile before it's wet...need a stand and sump and plumbing!

Nice to see it's being QCed by three kitties and a pupper first. Can never go wrong with a paw in the tank! :happy:

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Tank crashing a bit 😞 Noticed on Christmas as I was about to leave for 8 hour drive. I fished out some dead bodies and left, no good choice. 

basically I lost a cleaner shrimp, 2 sexy shrimp, and a porcelain crab within hours, not sure if the pom pom is alive. Some snails were lethargic. I had to leave for a few days and when I returned the dersa clam was on its way out. The deaths then spurred a GHA bloom.. again, ugh! Now some palys look pissed and a birdsnest bleached. 

Before the crash I had: done a normal 5g water change,  and filled ATO container, dosed per normal routine (2.5ml). My husband cooked and fried a bunch of stuff and the room is above the kitchen and damn it smelled up there lol. I didn't change my carbon like I usually do (probably a mistake). 

My salt mix is the normal Fritz salt but I got it from a different LFS as my usual one was sold out so it was a brand new fresh box.

Tests:

Alk 7.1 (tank missed dosing while I was gone so it dropped from 8.1 slowly)

Ca: 400

Salinity: 1.025

Nitrate: 0 - probably false reading from sudden GHA bloom, I usually have around 5 Nitrates.

Po4: 0.03

Magnesium: 1600+ (usually 1350-1400ish)

Tested the mix water and it was 1600-1700ish. Looking around, there was some bad batches of Fritz around Jan-May 2018 with 1700-2000mg readings. The LFS I got my salt from is 15 bucks higher than my normal LFS which sells out a lot so could have been an old box since who wants to pay 15 bucks more? 😛

Not sure if it is the Mg SPIKE or unknown containment. Finally getting around to a water change tonight. My sps tank got a water change too and so Mg is 1600 in that tank as well but I don't see any stress (yet? - hopefully never?). 

So anyways, added some carbon and going to do a 10g water change tonight... uhh decided to pull the 2 maxima clam and acclimate to the SPS tank. Maybe thats a bad idea, maybe not. Idk whats going on in this tank and it makes me more nervous to leave them there since I need to do some deep cleaning and repeated water changes. 

This is the growth I got for the month I had the dersa, RIP little buddy 😞

2018-12-29_10-47-56

• Sad 10

So sorry to hear the bad news. It makes you wanna kick a few buckets around when you can’t put your finger on what’s wrong with the tank.

Hopefully it’ll get back on track!

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Andreww said:

So sorry to hear the bad news. It makes you wanna kick a few buckets around when you can’t put your finger on what’s wrong with the tank.

Hopefully it’ll get back on track!

Ya it is a bummer, happens to the best of us though. Just got to keep rolling with the punches and realize this hobby is humbling.

Sucks it had to happen on the DAY I was leaving town though!!! Like... come on! 😡

CarolinaShoreReef
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Tank crashing a bit 😞 Noticed on Christmas as I was about to leave for 8 hour drive. I fished out some dead bodies and left, no good choice. 

basically I lost a cleaner shrimp, 2 sexy shrimp, and a porcelain crab within hours, not sure if the pom pom is alive. Some snails were lethargic. I had to leave for a few days and when I returned the dersa clam was on its way out. The deaths then spurred a GHA bloom.. again, ugh! Now some palys look pissed and a birdsnest bleached. 

Before the crash I had: done a normal 5g water change,  and filled ATO container, dosed per normal routine (2.5ml). My husband cooked and fried a bunch of stuff and the room is above the kitchen and damn it smelled up there lol. I didn't change my carbon like I usually do (probably a mistake). 

My salt mix is the normal Fritz salt but I got it from a different LFS as my usual one was sold out so it was a brand new fresh box.

Tests:

Alk 7.1 (tank missed dosing while I was gone so it dropped from 8.1 slowly)

Ca: 400

Salinity: 1.025

Nitrate: 0 - probably false reading from sudden GHA bloom, I usually have around 5 Nitrates.

Po4: 0.03

Magnesium: 1600+ (usually 1350-1400ish)

Tested the mix water and it was 1600-1700ish. Looking around, there was some bad batches of Fritz around Jan-May 2018 with 1700-2000mg readings. The LFS I got my salt from is 15 bucks higher than my normal LFS which sells out a lot so could have been an old box since who wants to pay 15 bucks more? 😛

Not sure if it is the Mg SPIKE or unknown containment. Finally getting around to a water change tonight. My sps tank got a water change too and so Mg is 1600 in that tank as well but I don't see any stress (yet? - hopefully never?). 

So anyways, added some carbon and going to do a 10g water change tonight... uhh decided to pull the 2 maxima clam and acclimate to the SPS tank. Maybe thats a bad idea, maybe not. Idk whats going on in this tank and it makes me more nervous to leave them there since I need to do some deep cleaning and repeated water changes. 

This is the growth I got for the month I had the dersa, RIP little buddy 😞

2018-12-29_10-47-56

Dang that is frustrating. Hope

things start looking up soon. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Dang that is frustrating. Hope

things start looking up soon. 

Thanks, this tank doesn't seem to be able to catch a break. Get it going... light breaks... get it going again... then this happens, doh! This is supposed to be the easy softy/LPS tank 😛

39 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Thanks, this tank doesn't seem to be able to catch a break. Get it going... light breaks... get it going again... then this happens, doh! This is supposed to be the easy softy/LPS tank 😛

Since when is reefing ever easy lol..😋

• Haha 3
15 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I am so sorry Tamberav, that is a bummer!  I can only imagine how discouraging this is having such fluke occurences one after another.

1 hour ago, vlangel said:

I am so sorry Tamberav, that is a bummer!  I can only imagine how discouraging this is having such fluke occurences one after another.

Thanks, def been a rough ride over here. Even in the SPS tank, my heater broke so temp was all over, then the gyre propeller stripped so without flow and took awhile with holidays for new parts to come... then my cats unplugged the light... which caused the settings to reset somehow which I didn't notice... it's like.. oh come on! Lol

Tamberav, any updates on that PAR meter rental?

Got to play with it yet? Was mostly interested in the company since their prices are cheaper than elsewhere.

let me know. Thanks!

Dang sorry to hear about the tank problems. I got one of those bad batches of Fritz salt with the high mag and after the vendor rep told me there couldn't be anything wrong with it, I switched back to Red Blue Bucket. 

High mag will definitely make snails act like they want to go into hibernation. John Maloney from Reefcleaners reported that and I've seen it in my tanks too. But I've never heard of high mag causing the other issues you saw. Hopefully it was a contaminant that was cleaned out by the carbon after you left. Hope things aren't/weren't too bad when you get back! 

• Like 1

Sorry about all the issues.  I'm so frustrated with my IM14 I'm ready to pull my hair out!  Probably going to be making tank changes soon.

• Sad 1
8 hours ago, Andreww said:

Tamberav, any updates on that PAR meter rental?

Got to play with it yet? Was mostly interested in the company since their prices are cheaper than elsewhere.

let me know. Thanks!

Oh, I haven't done a write up yet cuz work. I used it! It was fantastic full spectrum goodness! I got my refund within a few business days once I returned it. Easy peasy! They may call you to ask if it is for aquarium or plants (maybe there is a 'note' area you can put aquarium use when you rent it). They ask since they send a different wand for the aquarium. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Dang sorry to hear about the tank problems. I got one of those bad batches of Fritz salt with the high mag and after the vendor rep told me there couldn't be anything wrong with it, I switched back to Red Blue Bucket. 

High mag will definitely make snails act like they want to go into hibernation. John Maloney from Reefcleaners reported that and I've seen it in my tanks too. But I've never heard of high mag causing the other issues you saw. Hopefully it was a contaminant that was cleaned out by the carbon after you left. Hope things aren't/weren't too bad when you get back! 

Ya that is basically what I read... fritz denying it. Blue bucket is so expensive in comparison but I am very tempted to switch as it is the best salt I ever used in the past and I worry fritz could slip again and blow it off.

4 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Sorry about all the issues.  I'm so frustrated with my IM14 I'm ready to pull my hair out!  Probably going to be making tank changes soon.

Is it the dino? Do you have dino? Your last video looked nice tbh... and your fish is so damn cute. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Ya that is basically what I read... fritz denying it. Blue bucket is so expensive in comparison but I am very tempted to switch as it is the best salt I ever used in the past and I worry fritz could slip again and blow it off.

Is it the dino? Do you have dino? Your last video looked nice tbh... and your fish is so damn cute. 

Yeah in the last month or so I've started developing dino, most likely transported in when I consolidated everything for the hurricane back in Sept.  And bubble algae, a nasty, invasive variety, trying to take over.  Ugh.

• Sad 1
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

Yeah in the last month or so I've started developing dino, most likely transported in when I consolidated everything for the hurricane back in Sept.  And bubble algae, a nasty, invasive variety, trying to take over.  Ugh.

I beat bubble algae with manual removal... like months of just removing it every time I saw it like I am some sort of emerald crab but eventually it seemed to give in and disappear. 

Dino is evil. Did you try a few blackouts yet? That really seemed to weaken it for me. 

• Like 1

How is the tank now? I hate when there is a cascade of problems - I went through it with the transfer and downsizing from our SCA75 back to our Biocube29. An alk spike killed off a lot of my corals before I figured it out. Sigh. 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

I'm thinking about trying the live aquaria salt brand for the 75. It's cheaper and one of the guys I think specore is using it, says it mixes well.

• Like 1