Cultivated Reef

Tamberav's IM 25 Lagoon - Kuiter's Leopard Wrasse!

Tamberav

2 hours ago, vlangel said:

I did not write them down but I saw about 4 species that could be in a 50 gallon tank.  It may depend on what they have when I am ready.

I vote rubyhead - they're gorgeous! And leopard wrasses are a favorite too, although they can be tricky to get onto prepared. 🙂

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Blennies and wrasses are seriously fantastic, their little eyes looking at me making me feel judged. lol 

I love these tiny combtooths too

Image result for two spot blenny

I had this once! They call them two-spot blennies over here. But he never ate any prepared food for me. And I had to remove him when he was attacked by another blenny (my fault - that's when I learnt you can't keep two blennies in a nano) so I had to return him. They're gorgeous though. Some of them have light blue bellies. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I had this once! They call them two-spot blennies over here. But he never ate any prepared food for me. And I had to remove him when he was attacked by another blenny (my fault - that's when I learnt you can't keep two blennies in a nano) so I had to return him. They're gorgeous though. Some of them have light blue bellies. 

Yep, two spot bimaculatus blennies. I always confuse myself on whether it's two spot or twin spot, haha. 

• Like 2

Leathers are being pissy today but here are some photos.. woo! Mint LED's are so hard to gets photos under, may have to turn on the whites next time.

31802870688_dd38f82328_c.jpg

44760913235_6751d1e940_c.jpgpictusb

44760916965_2b1f6ed6e5_c.jpghfire

I love xenia and I am not ashamed to admit it!

43857208590_b2bccb09f8_c.jpgxenia

24k Psammocora is a new addition and SO YELLOW and starting to encrust a little.

43857227510_c1790edfb1_c.jpg24k by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

No name frag, my guess is sour apple birdnest

30734577787_ecd3d3fb8d_c.jpgsourapp

My 10+ year old green nepthea (fragged a lot since then obviously). It has survived all my abuse since my first salt water reef tank and I will never get rid of it. We got history together lol 😛

44760913875_eef8238de2_c.jpg

Some top downs... 

43857213780_724fec1bb7_c.jpg

44760907115_f3a6551cdf_c.jpg

Bi-color hammer always threatening to outgrow my tank. It is cool because it grows green and purple heads, I had a huge section of purple but accidentally b roke it off so I traded it away but a new purple head has popped up since then.

31802876148_841dbd125c_c.jpgtop2

• Like 8
  • Wow 1

I love xenia too and I proclaim it proudly!  Your coral look so happy and healthy.  That is cool that you have had the green nepthea so long.  I think they are a wonderful coral and hope to get one now that I have a high nutrient tank.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2018 at 7:01 AM, vlangel said:

I love xenia too and I proclaim it proudly!  Your coral look so happy and healthy.  That is cool that you have had the green nepthea so long.  I think they are a wonderful coral and hope to get one now that I have a high nutrient tank.

On 11/2/2018 at 7:05 AM, Lula_Mae said:

So cool you've had the nepthea so long. I've had my eye out for one or for a sinularia, but no luck so far. Someday, I hope!

Thank you both, hope you find some! Come to think of it... I have never seen it at the LFS which is weird because it is easy to propagate like most softies. 

• Like 2

LFS finally had a healthy looking plate coral. It was super happy/fluffy at the LFS but is angry about being tossed in a bag and hauled to my tank so its retracted a bit. Now I just need to find a big fluffy orange one. They had some other really huges one too... like biggest plates I ever saw... 6 inches across or something. 

IMG_20181110_212254

The GHA has gone away entirely on some rocks and other rocks got longer but now has super weak holds on the rock and is easy to remove but some areas are hard to reach. So I am not sure if it is dying or growing or what. I went ahead and did a 10g wc instead of 5g... been dosing a bit too... tank is consuming a fair amount of alk now. 

I was kind of letting the GHA do its thing before since my blenny wasn't eating prepared but now that he is finally eating, its time to really try and kill this pest.

The water change didn't go as plan....I was siphoning water into a bucket... and... welll.... bengals love water and I turned my back for ONE SECOND and I hear a splashing noise, turn around and Zerkon has the end of the hose in his claws batting at the water and draining all the tank water onto the floor. 🙀

Licking the water off on my bed.... and leaving wet paw prints....

IMG_20181110_183320

Then he decided he better go check out the top of the TV

IMG_20181110_183741

IMG_20181110_183932

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

LFS finally had a healthy looking plate coral. It was super happy/fluffy at the LFS but is angry about being tossed in a bag and hauled to my tank so its retracted a bit. Now I just need to find a big fluffy orange one. They had some other really huges one too... like biggest plates I ever saw... 6 inches across or something. 

IMG_20181110_212254

Love it. Used to have a nice green one about 4” across but I lost it for some unknown reason...

• Like 1

Sorry to chuckle over your kitty syphoning water all over the floor as I know I would be somewhat peeved if it happened to me!  He looks so innocent in the last pic though, I can almost hear him saying, "who, me?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, Andreww said:

Love it. Used to have a nice green one about 4” across but I lost it for some unknown reason...

Plates are awesome! I have heard they can randomly die, then suddenly the skeleton will grow back tons of babies. There is some pics online and its pretty wild to see like 30 tiny plate babies on the skeleton, I wonder if they use it as some way to propagate themselves? One person even had babies grow a YEAR after the plate was 'dead'. really weird. 

He is much happier today! All settled in 🙂

2018-11-11_02-53-15

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
8 hours ago, vlangel said:

Sorry to chuckle over your kitty syphoning water all over the floor as I know I would be somewhat peeved if it happened to me!  He looks so innocent in the last pic though, I can almost hear him saying, "who, me?"

Lol... its one of those things where you growl to yourself and then you laugh after the mess is cleaned up. My oldest bengal is really chill and just watches but my youngest two swarm around the tank when I am doing maintenance. 

He is a cheeky little guy... I took this video playing with him last night. He is a sweety cat until the 'prey' comes out, then he means serious business. 

7 hours ago, Andreww said:

Have you seen this? Lol

Lol! That video is great! The looks on their faces...

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Plates are awesome! I have heard they can randomly die, then suddenly the skeleton will grow back tons of babies. There is some pics online and its pretty wild to see like 30 tiny plate babies on the skeleton, I wonder if they use it as some way to propagate themselves? One person even had babies grow a YEAR after the plate was 'dead'. really weird. 

He is much happier today! All settled in 🙂

2018-11-11_02-53-15

See, I knew that and still threw it in the garbage while it still had just a tiny bit of flesh on it. Should have kept it in the tank. 

Yours looks much fluffier today! 

They are great eaters that’s for sure.

• Like 1

Plates are so interesting to me (and pretty!). Mine sometimes tries to propagate by dropping little babies on extensions of the fleshy part. I haven't seen any of them take yet, though.

• Like 1

I took a peek at DD and they have these guys on sale:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/433442/two-spot-bimaculatus-blenny

https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/433194/browncheek-blenny

https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/432492/browncheek-blenny

Grab oneeee....! :coolguy:

Edit:

This oni pair looks really nice too. I passed up a pair since I already have Hi-Fins in my tank paired to a candycane pistol. But if the budget fits, this seems to be quite good. They also have very, very tiny bioloads, and are quite gentle from what I observed at my LFS weeks ago. Stay tiny too:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/428255/sailfin-shrimp-goby-bonded-pair-with-red-banded-pistol-shrimp

49 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I took a peek at DD and they have these guys on sale:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/433442/two-spot-bimaculatus-blenny

https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/433194/browncheek-blenny

https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/432492/browncheek-blenny

Grab oneeee....! :coolguy:

Edit:

This oni pair looks really nice too. I passed up a pair since I already have Hi-Fins in my tank paired to a candycane pistol. But if the budget fits, this seems to be quite good. They also have very, very tiny bioloads, and are quite gentle from what I observed at my LFS weeks ago. Stay tiny too:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/428255/sailfin-shrimp-goby-bonded-pair-with-red-banded-pistol-shrimp

I been eyeballing those but they would go in the 10g which isn't set up yet. The oni's are cool too, the male has brighter colors and a taller fin it looks like, I like when the males and females look a bit different. I have never seen them in person. They had a yasha pop up and a pygmy wrasse too and it was hard not to buy yasha + pygmy wrasse + two spot and call it a day. 

• Like 1

Sooooo last 2 days cyano showed up on the sand bed. Pretty sure it is because I deep cleaned the GHA and sent a bunch of dying algae into the water colomn. It was the only major change. Ah well.. 

I totally let the GHA get out of hand to feed the blenny for while... but hey he is now super fat. So happy about that.

Went to LFS to pick up a new fish which I didn't QT this time so hopefully that doesn't bite me in the ass. They did prazipro and copper for 1.5 weeks in their QT. Main reason I didn't QT is the QT needed a water change bad and I didn't find the time to do it and I told them I was coming to get the fish today. 

Grabbed two mexican snails while there to see what they do for algae and a baby rock flower nem (damn those unplanned impulse purchases emptying my wallet). 

I also saw the bigger wrasse stink eyeing the baby one during feeding so removed the little one, tank isn't big enough for two. It wasn't difficult, they are so used to my hands = food they swim all around me, so I just shoo'd her into a corner and cupped my hands around her and lifted her out and got her into the QT (after I finally got around to doing the water change). I feel like she hasn't been getting enough to eat with the big one literally being a huge pig and staring her down. Going to try and fatten her up in the 10g and rehome her. She also has a super tiny mouth and can't tackle the bigger pieces of food easily like the other wrasse so I have to finely chop everything. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I been eyeballing those but they would go in the 10g which isn't set up yet. The oni's are cool too, the male has brighter colors and a taller fin it looks like, I like when the males and females look a bit different. I have never seen them in person. They had a yasha pop up and a pygmy wrasse too and it was hard not to buy yasha + pygmy wrasse + two spot and call it a day. 

The Onis are definitely amazing. LFS had a male/fem pair but no one was keen because they're 'nano' nanofish and super tiny.

What fish did you end up getting for your tank, if I might ask? 🙂 

Also, good call on separating the wrasses. One would have eventually bullied the other resulting in the smaller one not getting enough food. Wrasses are tricky. I've seen people keep multiple wrasses in a single tank, but their systems are usually much larger and there's a lot of rockwork for cover. 

6 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

The Onis are definitely amazing. LFS had a male/fem pair but no one was keen because they're 'nano' nanofish and super tiny.

What fish did you end up getting for your tank, if I might ask? 🙂 

Also, good call on separating the wrasses. One would have eventually bullied the other resulting in the smaller one not getting enough food. Wrasses are tricky. I've seen people keep multiple wrasses in a single tank, but their systems are usually much larger and there's a lot of rockwork for cover. 

Didn't want to jinx myself lol fathead anthia. He is a small guy and very beautiful with the flowly fins and head paint. He looks good this morning...very fat and eating fish frenzy.

I think he will be happy in this tank. It's quiet perfect for him. Blue/mint lighting...no white led on. Lots of overhang and peacful fish.

Yeah I didn't want two wrasse to begin with and if the bigger one goes male they get really mean transitioning so it's bad news.

My damn firefish... I had hung a breeder box inside my tank and just a few hours later I notice my firefish inside it. He must have literally pole vaulted sideways squeezing between a tiny gap no wider than him between the top of the box and the net. So I go to release him as he just looks scared and miserable with no where to hide. He is a firefish... so of course he freaks out and bangs himself up against the sides and just keeps running into the opposite end of the now huge OPEN gap freedom. I ended up shooing him out with my hand.

His top fin was torn and he looked like be broke out in lympho on one fin from the stress and MAYBE a single fluke or just another spot of lymph. I treated the tank with its now 3rd round of prazipro in case it was a fluke. 

This morning he is looking much better, the torn fin already healing together and the lymph/fluke is gone. He is eating but back to being afraid of me and hiding when I get near the tank. He used to stay out happily, so we starting this 'trust' journey over again even though he did all of this to himself!! 

:somber:

They had a nem crab that was blue instead of the red I always see

2018-11-23_09-26-57

He quickly found the nems and got cozy!

crabby

LFS was selling cleaners for 10 dollars...they were for my SPS tank but the orchid Dotty wanted to eat them so they are going to live here 

cshrimp

Also gha is 90 percent gone thanks to the Mexican turbos

• Like 2