Top Shelf Aquatics

Tamberav's IM 25 Lagoon - Kuiter's Leopard Wrasse!

Tamberav

On 8/19/2019 at 11:38 AM, Euphylin me said:

Tank is looking awesome BTW! I love the 25g lagoon tanks. I wish they werent so hard to find or i would snag one up!

Ya they discontinued the tank only but you can buy the 'pro' which comes with a top, media basket, and a good return pump. When I first got the tank I wasn't in love as I like long tanks better than cubes but as it has filled in I realized how nice the extra front to back space is and how SUPER SIMPLE it is to get the right flow and lighting on a shallow cube. 

1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

Sooo... my conch snail pushed my lobo all over the tank like a bulldozer and stung like 3 corals.. including my long tentacle plate which may not recover :tears: I stuck the lobo in time out in a far back corner until I can figure out what to do. Maybe glue it to a giant tile disc. So bummed!

Also I found out literally yesterday... the apartment next to me is opening up, its larger and much nicer (all updated) and they offered it to me first if I want it. I will probably take it even though my back hurts thinking about moving all my shit again.... I swear I move every 2 years. For real...

Thank god its just next door so I don't have to load the car but will need to spend all week packing and move buckets of water... and tanks... catching fish... hoping none die from stress. It's kind of a nightmare to think about when you have FIVE tanks and a QT tank with fish in it currently.... so really 6. 

I might use this as an excuse to upgrade to something larger, maybe a deep blue 80g shallow since we would have more room.... but idk... time is really short to decide. 

Im sure you can guess what my thoughts are:

bigger tank! 😁

at least the move isnt that far so that should cut should cut down on some of their stress. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 8/10/2019 at 12:50 AM, Tamberav said:

MVIMG_20190809_234112

MVIMG_20190809_234131

Beautiful! 

Gotta ask, what's the trick with torches. I have a similar green torch that was looking awesome.

Last 2 weeks it's not opening and the tentacles are curling while moving.

Nothing changed in my tank.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Sooo... my conch snail pushed my lobo all over the tank like a bulldozer and stung like 3 corals.. including my long tentacle plate which may not recover :tears: I stuck the lobo in time out in a far back corner until I can figure out what to do. Maybe glue it to a giant tile disc. So bummed!

Also I found out literally yesterday... the apartment next to me is opening up, its larger and much nicer (all updated) and they offered it to me first if I want it. I will probably take it even though my back hurts thinking about moving all my shit again.... I swear I move every 2 years. For real...

Thank god its just next door so I don't have to load the car but will need to spend all week packing and move buckets of water... and tanks... catching fish... hoping none die from stress. It's kind of a nightmare to think about when you have FIVE tanks and a QT tank with fish in it currently.... so really 6. 

I might use this as an excuse to upgrade to something larger, maybe a deep blue 80g shallow since we would have more room.... but idk... time is really short to decide. 

Feel your pain. I've moved 30 times in my life, add tanks to the equation and it's even harder.

But definitely a great reason to upgrade😉

• Like 3

Ya they discontinued the tank only but you can buy the 'pro' which comes with a top, media basket, and a good return pump. When I first got the tank I wasn't in love as I like long tanks better than cubes but as it has filled in I realized how nice the extra front to back space is and how SUPER SIMPLE it is to get the right flow and lighting on a shallow cube. 

yea....im planning on upgrading the office tank in 4-6 months. Im debating between the 25g lagoon, the 20g or the waterbox cube 20.....not sure which one lol

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Beautiful! 

Gotta ask, what's the trick with torches. I have a similar green torch that was looking awesome.

not sure if this will help but with torches and hammers i had the same experience for the longest time. They would look gorgeous for 2-3 weeks. maybe even a month or two, then recede and look crappy. Then a buddy of mine pointed out to me that they like gentle flow through the tentacles and on the lower side of medium light. i have had good luck with them ever since. Torches like a bit more flow but just about the same lighting. I always feed mine foods that dont have a shell. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Euphylin me said:

not sure if this will help but with torches and hammers i had the same experience for the longest time. They would look gorgeous for 2-3 weeks. maybe even a month or two, then recede and look crappy. Then a buddy of mine pointed out to me that they like gentle flow through the tentacles and on the lower side of medium light. i have had good luck with them ever since. Torches like a bit more flow but just about the same lighting. I always feed mine foods that dont have a shell. 

Funny thing, hammers do great for me, anywhere in my tanks.

It's always torches that give me headaches. Lol.

They are off to the side so definitely not high light, I'd say moderate flow.

Thank you for the suggestion. Gonna try to get them in the perfect zone.😁

5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Beautiful! 

Wish I knew...tank is dirty...nitrates anywhere from 8-32...PO4 0.1-0.4. Lots of food and fish poops.

Dirtier end just makes zoas grow faster.

One MP10 which provides the whole tank with moderate flow. Lighting is moderate. Placement doesn't seem to matter.

Alk around 8

• Like 3

Wish I knew...tank is dirty...nitrates anywhere from 8-32...PO4 0.1-0.4. Lots of food and fish poops.

Dirtier end just makes zoas grow faster.

One MP10 which provides the whole tank with moderate flow. Lighting is moderate. Placement doesn't seem to matter.

Alk around 8

Thank you.

Maybe its nitrates, can't seem to keep that up.

5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Thank you.

Maybe its nitrates, can't seem to keep that up.

I struggle seriously with nitrates in my 22g and this one runs dirty and they both have 4-5 fish and same filtration and same food/feeding schedule...almost identical water volumn.....they use the same rock....go figure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

How soon is the move @Tamberav? This is such a neat diverse reef, I hope you can keep it going!

Thanks!

I started the move now...got the 22g over so far... probably move the cold water tonight....this one is coming with too sometime this week....and the macro tank. Lots of work! 

I love the dimensions of this tank...at first I wasn't sure but it really grew on me so I ordered an 80g shallow as I feel like that will give me the same fun as this one but that will take time to finish and build. The 22g will come down for the 80g as I plan to use the light over the 80g....then go from there.

This one will stay up for awhile yet! 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

Just caught up on the last few pages and...

😍😍😍

Thanks Kimber!

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

👏👏👏

Moving tanks is tough, keep up the good work @Tamberav! You got this! 💪

Lol right now I feel like I am renting my fish their own apartment as they are pretty much the only thing left atm.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Tank has been totally neglected latley and I got some cyano but whatever.... Here are some pics just before I tore it down and moved it. 

There was some coral warfare when a snail took a mean ass coral for a ride around the tank but stuff is recovering.

Cyano or no cyano... Corals don't care. Hopefully everything makes it through this move... 

MVIMG_20190927_182140.thumb.jpg.e4673a104bbde702184efdeb32837c4e.jpgMVIMG_20190927_182216.thumb.jpg.0bbd4eb3c3a783769e5cf3a240cd6e36.jpgMVIMG_20190927_182148.thumb.jpg.9259350676f5622376e6e23dc429ac88.jpgMVIMG_20190927_182137.thumb.jpg.ba0ebc86c37fbcbce29a27961a8b9767.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 4
  • 3 weeks later...

The tank continues on through my neglect. Most of the sand and got tossed since I moved....was too tired to wash it after moving so many boxes and furniture.

My wrasses are sleeping laying on top of the bottom like zombies but seem no worse for wear.

My Anthia got cut up somehow in the move and had a swollen and bloody bruised side...I thought I would lose her but she healed up.

Coral growth on the hammers has slowed because there is no where for them to grow. The new baby heads can't get any light so they are just chilling.

Zoas are spreading though.

Plate corals taking over.

Tons of stinging and turf wars tbh.

MVIMG_20191017_193006

MVIMG_20191017_192945

MVIMG_20191017_192932

MVIMG_20191017_192921

• Like 5
  • Wow 3
6 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

The tank continues on through my neglect. Most of the sand and got tossed since I moved....was too tired to wash it after moving so many boxes and furniture.

My wrasses are sleeping laying on top of the bottom like zombies but seem no worse for wear.

My Anthia got cut up somehow in the move and had a swollen and bloody bruised side...I thought I would lose her but she healed up.

Coral growth on the hammers has slowed because there is no where for them to grow. The new baby heads can't get any light so they are just chilling.

Zoas are spreading though.

Plate corals taking over.

Tons of stinging and turf wars tbh.

MVIMG_20191017_193006

MVIMG_20191017_192945

MVIMG_20191017_192932

MVIMG_20191017_192921

Looks really good tho ☺️

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Looks really good tho ☺️

I am fearful of upgrading as this tank runs itself... But it is also very full :) 

• Like 4

On my way back from RAP. Was a quick in an out job. I felt like I saw venders all with the same corals but nothing too unique. I was going to get another nice plate if I saw one but nothing to be found. I didn't even see a long tentacle plate like what I bought at Aquashella.

I let my husband pick out a euphillia and he wanted the gold torch.

That's all I got because that is my budget lol plus I couldn't find anything really unique.

I probably won't go next year...was nice to see it once but have to pay to get in and gas which makes it meh if the selection is just so-so. 

I really enjoyed Aquashella though. I felt like the selection was a little better even though they had less venders and so much cool art and since I don't have freshwater it was really fun to see that side.

We did stop for some Korean fried wings and they were yum yum yum ! 

Neptune's booth: 

MVIMG_20191019_115516.thumb.jpg.804775be9dad22e1bedf4a0c81d12081.jpg

• Like 7