Top Shelf Aquatics

Tamberav's IM 25 Lagoon - Kuiter's Leopard Wrasse!

Tamberav

I know, I remember the first time I heard that fish could change sexes.  I was totally blown away.

Its so crazy, clownfish are basically all born male-ish and seahorses are basically all born female-ish.  What an crazy wonderful world we live in!

• Like 1

Update: Took a few days but both wrasses eating LRS fish frenzy till they have bulging round bellies!

Deciding what to do... tempted to move both fish to DT but that is more bioload than I wanted. Worried if I break them up they may not eat/adjust as well. Was thinking maybe condition them for a few months and then sell one of them... sucks to catch in the DT but maybe I can figure out where one sleeps.. ugh. I'm not super keen on keeping both long term in a tank this small.

Maybe just move one and see if it does ok. Idk! :huh:

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Update: Took a few days but both wrasses eating LRS fish frenzy till they have bulging round bellies!

Deciding what to do... tempted to move both fish to DT but that is more bioload than I wanted. Worried if I break them up they may not eat/adjust as well. Was thinking maybe condition them for a few months and then sell one of them... sucks to catch in the DT but maybe I can figure out where one sleeps.. ugh. I'm not super keen on keeping both long term in a tank this small.

Maybe just move one and see if it does ok. Idk! :huh:

If you decide to keep both, move both at the same time into the DT - otherwise the fish that is introduced later will get picked on by the fish that has been introduced first. Wrasses can get territorial, and I remember reading somewhere online that leopard wrasses usually do well in male/female pairs (provided they're added together). Not sure about female/female pairs, though. 

If it was me, I'd go with the smaller one and rehome the larger one, but the decision is yours. You know your tank better than I do. Good to know they're both eating very well though! :happy:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

If you decide to keep both, move both at the same time into the DT - otherwise the fish that is introduced later will get picked on by the fish that has been introduced first. Wrasses can get territorial, and I remember reading somewhere online that leopard wrasses usually do well in male/female pairs (provided they're added together). Not sure about female/female pairs, though. 

If it was me, I'd go with the smaller one and rehome the larger one, but the decision is yours. You know your tank better than I do. Good to know they're both eating very well though! :happy:

female/female is fine as well... but sometimes males bully females when they transition I think? I originally wanted to keep the smaller one but now I feel like me and the bigger one have 'history' together since she was sick. lol

I will probably just keep them both for now and see how things go. 

• Like 1

Best thing about QT tank? Overfeeding 😜

They are eating LRS fish frenzy, I saw my pictus eat a little bit of it today too.. yay. Few more days of this and I'll start introducing them to it soaked in selcon.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Best thing about QT tank? Overfeeding 😜

They are eating LRS fish frenzy, I saw my pictus eat a little bit of it today too.. yay. Few more days of this and I'll start introducing them to it soaked in selcon.

They look so beautiful! That's a very good feeding response too.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

They look so beautiful! That's a very good feeding response too.

I thought they would like the little pieces since they eat pods but they have eyes bigger than their mouths and grab the big pieces and then spit it in and out to get it crushed up before swallowing. The bigger one even took a piece and used the rocks to break it up.

• Like 1

Both wrasse went into the DT today... before they were awake.. I just slowly pulled out the tupperware and placed it in the DT. They later woke up in the new tank, 0 stress induced. I then removed the tupperware... gave them a few hours to explore and fed, both ate. The firefish is less skiddish with the new wrasse company too. They will get their 2nd dose of prazipro in the DT. I didn't want to do a full 4-8wk QT on these guys just because they are a bit more fragile than some fish. A lot of people just put them straight into the DT it seems like. The QT was just to get them eating good w/o polluting the DT.

I may still rehome one down the road.. but not worried about it right now... I didn't feel comfortable selling a fish I only had a week. I want to make sure it is a rock solid fish first. 

Most of my corals are recovering fantastically with the new light.. I only see one that looks stressed, a hitchiker Cyphastrea coral. It came in unknowingly with one of the toadstools... it was covered in algae and came back from nothing. It has been in such poor light conditions and smothered with algae for so long I think it is feeling some light shock atm. I dialed back the whites a bit more. 

• Like 1

Might be wishful thinking but the gha looks to be disappearing. I only have mints going now and my firefish is deepwater and loveees the lighting. I asked the LFS to try and get me a fathead anthia...he would prob be a big fan of the mints too. DD had one but they wanted 130 bucks and that was too rich for my blood. 

Slowly collecting stuff for my IM10 :ninja: 

• Like 2
On 10/10/2018 at 12:16 PM, Tamberav said:

Okay well both leopards were out swimming now, fed my super secret stash of food, Nutramar Ova and they both ate. The bigger one flashed a few times on the glass/rocks, hopefully just flukes I can treat with prazipro in a few days. She still swims a little odd, It looks like swim bladder problem. 😞

The little one has a lot of gusto/spunk and seems to be doing well.

Little eyeball looking around when the lights came on:

30291218887_28bc0060c1_c.jpg2018-10-10_02-13-57 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

They look kind of big in this photo but it must be an illusion because that top one is tiny is much smaller than the bottom one. 

30291222507_6d9451340e_c.jpg2018-10-10_02-14-49 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

Where exactly do you keep that secret food stash you’re speaking of? Lol

Ive been trying to get nutramar ova for ages now, )exaggerating ofcourse) but seriously, everyone is out of stock all the time now. 

Found it once at my LFS but it’s long gone cuz my fish were devouring it.

I tried PE Calanus but it’s not the same....

42 minutes ago, Andreww said:

Where exactly do you keep that secret food stash you’re speaking of? Lol

Ive been trying to get nutramar ova for ages now, )exaggerating ofcourse) but seriously, everyone is out of stock all the time now. 

Found it once at my LFS but it’s long gone cuz my fish were devouring it.

I tried PE Calanus but it’s not the same....

Ha! I bought some off a guy at one point at 20 dollars a pack when they cost like 10 dollars each....because no one had any.... but within this last year at some point... our LFS got some more in so I bought some and I just HOARD it in my freezer packed in extra freezer bags. It's not as fresh as I wish it could be but the fish still go crazy for it. I'm stingy with it and use it with picky fish till I can get them on LRS. 

Hopefully it shows up again soon but it seems pretty rare these days. 

• Like 1

Pictus blenny finally ate prepared food tonight :happydance: Only took.. months? All the fish just seem happier now with more fish in the tank and running mint led's. Firefish doesn't run and hide from me anymore and thinks hes hot shit now. :lol:

Charging the camera tonight guys to try and get some new pics. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Pictus blenny finally ate prepared food tonight :happydance: Only took.. months? All the fish just seem happier now with more fish in the tank and running mint led's. Firefish doesn't run and hide from me anymore and thinks hes hot shit now. :lol:

Charging the camera tonight guys to try and get some new pics. 

Oh, get more snapshots of that Pictus, please! Love that lil' guy to bits. Good to know the firefish is doing well too. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Oh, get more snapshots of that Pictus, please! Love that lil' guy to bits. Good to know the firefish is doing well too. 

Will do.. hes such a ham.

Can you see this image? It is a browncheek blenny on DD, very tempted to buy it but resisting. I would want it for my 10g which isn't set up as a DT yet. They are a barnacle type blenny I think. I have never seen one for sale before. I wanted some type of blenny for the 10g when its done being a QT. 

lg-1030181-127.jpg

The close up macro shots of these guys are amazing looking. 

Image result for Browncheek Blenny

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
26 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Will do.. hes such a ham.

Can you see this image? It is a browncheek blenny on DD, very tempted to buy it but resisting. I would want it for my 10g which isn't set up as a DT yet. They are a barnacle type blenny I think. I have never seen one for sale before. I wanted some type of blenny for the 10g when its done being a QT. 

lg-1030181-127.jpg

The close up macro shots of these guys are amazing looking. 

I can see the image, and wow! That's unique. I've never seen a blenny like that before - at least, not in RL so far. I think it should be a perfect fit for a DT as long as it doesn't exceed 3". Most of the smaller blenny species have very low bioloads anyway. What's your plan for the 10G? Macro + softies? Or LPS? 🙂 

21 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I can see the image, and wow! That's unique. I've never seen a blenny like that before - at least, not in RL so far. I think it should be a perfect fit for a DT as long as it doesn't exceed 3". Most of the smaller blenny species have very low bioloads anyway. What's your plan for the 10G? Macro + softies? Or LPS? 🙂 

Its max size is listed at 2 inches. 

It will probably end up being a mix, I haven't really decided yet and will just go with whatever end sup in there lol but I want one Stylo/acro or poccilapora for one of those Trapezia crabs. I will move my small inverts into the 10g so I can see them more and that will be the focus with some small fish. 

16 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Its max size is listed at 2 inches. 

It will probably end up being a mix, I haven't really decided yet and will just go with whatever end sup in there lol but I want one Stylo/acro or poccilapora for one of those Trapezia crabs. I will move my small inverts into the 10g so I can see them more and that will be the focus with some small fish. 

2" is a good size. I saw a tomiyama goby once at my LFS - very, very tiny at 1", and I remember debating if I should bring it home. The only thing that held me back was the fact that I already had 2 Hi-Fins, my tank is quite overstocked as it is and some tomiyama species can reach 5". I wasn't sure whether this one would, so I refrained.

There's actually a lot of unique nanofish available for smaller nanotanks. But my LFS prefers bringing in larger fish to cater to the reefing majority who own systems of 50G and above. Wish we had a better selection of nanofish over here. 

Trapezia crab sounds cool. I had several crabs hitchike from a dead Acro skeleton I purchased as LR once a very long time ago. They were mostly filter feeders though and very, very tiny and cryptic. 

I love that blenny, its adorable!  You will definitely enjoy a barnacle type blenny in a 10 gallon.  Blennies in general are just so much fun and I am loving mine.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, vlangel said:

I love that blenny, its adorable!  You will definitely enjoy a barnacle type blenny in a 10 gallon.  Blennies in general are just so much fun and I am loving mine.

Blennies and wrasses are seriously fantastic, their little eyes looking at me making me feel judged. lol 

I love these tiny combtooths too

Image result for two spot blenny

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Blennies and wrasses are seriously fantastic, their little eyes looking at me making me feel judged. lol 

I had one of these bimaculatus blennies in my jar.  BEST PICO FISH EVER!  Well, except maybe for GBG, they are kind of tied for awesome.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Tamberav said:

The video of your wrasses has made me decide that the fish fortress needs wrasses!  I checked out live aquaria and they carry some species that can go in a 56 gallon tank.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, vlangel said:

The video of your wrasses has made me decide that the fish fortress needs wrasses!  I checked out live aquaria and they carry some species that can go in a 56 gallon tank.

Awesome! What ones you considering?

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Awesome! What ones you considering?

I did not write them down but I saw about 4 species that could be in a 50 gallon tank.  It may depend on what they have when I am ready.

• Like 1