Coral Vue Hydros

Tamberav's IM 25 Lagoon - Kuiter's Leopard Wrasse!

Tamberav

4 hours ago, Newstead said:

How is the tank now? I hate when there is a cascade of problems - I went through it with the transfer and downsizing from our SCA75 back to our Biocube29. An alk spike killed off a lot of my corals before I figured it out. Sigh. 

I think it is recovering, some corals did some weird stuff a few days after my post... zoas turning inside out, large bird bleached out, I think I may dip the zoas in iodine today and do another water change with my new box of salt but I think the worse is behind me.

4 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I'm thinking about trying the live aquaria salt brand for the 75. It's cheaper and one of the guys I think specore is using it, says it mixes well.

I have heard that too.... I have also heard some people who worry LA salt is rebranded fritz salt. 

4 hours ago, MarieH said:

Sympathies. That kind of loss would make me leave the hobby, ya.....  Please soldier on.

Thanks! I am not sure anything could make me leave the hobby, even a total loss. 

4 hours ago, DaveFason said:

So sorry to hear. I have heard a few horror stories about the MAG being high. Even 2000+....

Safe travels and fingers crossed. 

-Dave

Thanks Dave!

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

I have heard that too.... I have also heard some people who worry LA salt is rebranded fritz salt. 

ooo...I must have missed that. I wonder about that.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I beat bubble algae with manual removal... like months of just removing it every time I saw it like I am some sort of emerald crab but eventually it seemed to give in and disappear. 

Dino is evil. Did you try a few blackouts yet? That really seemed to weaken it for me. 

Yeah, I've always had a little bubble algae in my tanks and never had an issue, I'd just remove the bubbles when they got big enough.  This variety seems to be more invasive/aggressive than what I'm used to because it repopulated so fast!  Hoping the peroxide helps knock it out.  I thought about an emerald but I do fear for my corals lol.  Dino is indeed evil.  I haven't tried a blackout on this tank yet, it has spread pretty slowly compared to when I had it in the jar.  I actually wonder if the bubble algae has been keeping it in check!  Curious to see what happens as with the jar it always got worse after water changes and I did one today...

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yeah, I've always had a little bubble algae in my tanks and never had an issue, I'd just remove the bubbles when they got big enough.  This variety seems to be more invasive/aggressive than what I'm used to because it repopulated so fast!  Hoping the peroxide helps knock it out.  I thought about an emerald but I do fear for my corals lol.  Dino is indeed evil.  I haven't tried a blackout on this tank yet, it has spread pretty slowly compared to when I had it in the jar.  I actually wonder if the bubble algae has been keeping it in check!  Curious to see what happens as with the jar it always got worse after water changes and I did one today...

I just ordered an emerald, I'll let you know if they mess with the corals if you'd like..

• Like 2

Bit the bullet and I ordered some Red Sea Salt Blue Bucket from Marine Depot....

What do you guys do with all the Buckets? Recycle? It will be nice to be able to store the salt in the bucket instead of a plastic bag my cats try to scratch open. 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Bit the bullet and I ordered some Red Sea Salt Blue Bucket from Marine Depot....

What do you guys do with all the Buckets? Recycle? It will be nice to be able to store the salt in the bucket instead of a plastic bag my cats try to scratch open. 

I'd just recycle it. Save one and then the rest toss. 🙂

I got my emerald yesterday, he's awesome so far. Within a half hour he was eating gha 👍

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

You can never have enough buckets. Stack them until you need them:) 

• Like 1
On 1/5/2019 at 8:10 AM, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I just ordered an emerald, I'll let you know if they mess with the corals if you'd like..

That'd be great lol.  Most of mine are teeny frags so a little munching would mean no more fraglet.

• Like 1

Need to do my water change yet.

Can't remember if I said this but all fish are back in the tank for awhile now and no signs of returning flukes. They handled QT well.

Skimmer is doing overtime and really needs to be emptied before it overflows 😛

IMG_20190118_042110.jpg

• Like 3
Just now, Tamberav said:

Need to do my water change yet this week but the skimmer is doing overtime.

Can't remember if I said this but all fish are back in the tank for awhile and no sign of returning flukes. They handled QT well.

Skimmer is doing overtime and really needs to be emptied before it overflows 😛

IMG_20190118_042110.jpg

Looks like cappuccino 🤢

• Haha 1

On 1/18/2019 at 1:35 PM, Andreww said:

One thing to cut down on smell in between cleanings is to cut a piece of activated carbon pad and lay it on top of the skimmer cap.

Great idea, I usually never let it go this long but I worked a lot last week. It doesn't smell that bad when I empty it... it smells like wet earth after it rains. When I had a bigger tank, it smelled more like poo though... 😛

• Like 2

Going to do my water change tonight, sad news though, found my firefish wedged into my 1/4 inch screen top turned into one expensive french fry! I guess he jumped and got stuck and hanged himself 😞

I don't think I will replace with another firefish, beautiful but too jumpy with the cats running around. 

Thinking I will go with a fang blenny, I had one a long time ago and they didn't seem too skittish with their big teeth. 

I finally rehomed the tiny leopard so I am down to just 3 fish now. The Pictus blenny, leopard wrasse, and sunburst anthia. They are eating like piggies and doing well though. fingerscrossed

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
3 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Sorry to hear about the firefish. But good to know the remaining fish are doing well. How's the tank overall? Is everything going back to normal after the high Mg incident?

Not totally, it's doing pretty well overall, just some minor algae issues from all the dead snails, it doesn't help I have not replaced my CUC yet but I havn't made it to the LFS. I would like to order from reef-cleaners but it's too dang cold atm. 

• Like 2

Won a hob fuge from the nanoreef secret santa. Wanted to play around with it on here first but prob move it to a frag tank unless it grows me some super pods.

I can get the skimmer to fit in the original chamber with some mods but didn't want to cut into the bracket of the fuge for something I am just experimenting with. 

Thanks @Marine Depot

IMG_20190124_190940.jpg

MVIMG_20190124_191015.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

Sad to hear about your firefish.  I really like my fang blennies.  At night they sleep in the barnacle but in the day they are always out in the water column.  They never bother anyone, just go about their own business.  I chose yellowheads but their are several nice options that are readily available.  Mine were captive bred too.

• Like 3

Was very very cold yesterday ..like -57 with windchill ...since my bedroom don't get crap for heat it got very cold. I use like 1000 blankets...

Temp of the tank this am was 69...two birdsnests and one softy looking upset. Swapped the heater for a larger one ..it fit in the hob fuge at least. So hopefully that heater can keep up and everything recovers. Everything else looks good and all inverts and fish active and eating.

Only other test I had time to do before work was check the alk which was stable at 8.1 and was 8.0 like 2 days prior.

Husband wants a space heater but I worry it is a fire hazard. Anyone use one?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

Was very very cold yesterday ..like -57 with windchill ...since my bedroom don't get crap for heat it got very cold. I use like 1000 blankets...

Temp of the tank this am was 69...two birdsnests and one softy looking upset. Swapped the heater for a larger one ..it fit in the hob fuge at least. So hopefully that heater can keep up and everything recovers. Everything else looks good and all inverts and fish active and eating.

Only other test I had time to do before work was check the alk which was stable at 8.1 and was 8.0 like 2 days prior.

Husband wants a space heater but I worry it is a fire hazard. Anyone use one?

I would never trust one if no one is home. 

• Like 1

I use 2.

One is the oil kind, which is my favorite. Heating my kids room since we like to keep that warmer than the rest of the house.

The other one I use on and off in my room/office. When my feet are cold or whatever I just turn it on.

Its the swivel kind with safety. If you bump it it’ll automatically shut off.

Both are pretty safe to use but common sense should be implemented anyway like away from sheets and furniture etc.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Andreww said:

I use 2.

One is the oil kind, which is my favorite. Heating my kids room since we like to keep that warmer than the rest of the house.

The other one I use on and off in my room/office. When my feet are cold or whatever I just turn it on.

Its the swivel kind with safety. If you bump it it’ll automatically shut off.

Both are pretty safe to use but common sense should be implemented anyway like away from sheets and furniture etc.

My apt has kind of shaggy carpet so idk if it's okay on that or what. I am assuming they have feet. The oil kind seemed best for a bedroom. We would have to use it when asleep is kinda scary but not when away from home.

All this would be solved if I could leave the door open but my kitten takes that as an invitation to play while I'm trying to sleep.

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

My apt has kind of shaggy carpet so idk if it's okay on that or what. I am assuming they have feet. The oil kind seemed best for a bedroom. We would have to use it when asleep is kinda scary but not when away from home.

All this would be solved if I could leave the door open but my kitten takes that as an invitation to play while I'm trying to sleep.

You worry too much:)

Just get that thing going and enjoy the heat!

The oil one is as safe as they come. 

• Like 1