Pod Your Reef

Tamberav's IM 25 Lagoon - Kuiter's Leopard Wrasse!

Tamberav

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
51 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

They had a nem crab that was blue instead of the red I always see

2018-11-23_09-26-57

He quickly found the nems and got cozy!

crabby

LFS was selling cleaners for 10 dollars...they were for my SPS tank but the orchid Dotty wanted to eat them so they are going to live here 

cshrimp

Also gha is 90 percent gone thanks to the Mexican turbos

They look good 🙂. I've got some GHA going on in my tank 😐 lots of hard to reach areas. I'm hoping my lawnmower blenny eats up. I've had him for a little over a week.

• Like 3

Sandbed was clean and white today! yay! No cyano or diatoms spotted. I stirred it and blasted the rocks but honestly not much came off... everything looked pretty clean, did my normal 5g water change. Pretty happy with the way the tank is looking right now. Sorry no FTS... I did my maintenance late and everything was going to bed.

• Like 2
On 11/23/2018 at 10:25 PM, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

They look good 🙂. I've got some GHA going on in my tank 😐 lots of hard to reach areas. I'm hoping my lawnmower blenny eats up. I've had him for a little over a week.

Those guys are cute, I love blennies! As long as its GHA and not dino then you're doing alright. lol I find algae always fixable but dino is just another monster... the steps I had to go through to beat that years ago.. ugh. 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
9 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Those guys are cute, I love blennies! As long as its GHA and not dino then you're doing alright. lol I find algae always fixable but dino is just another monster... the steps I had to go through to beat that years ago.. ugh. 

Should be algae.. I could take a pic if you wanna see it. I usually prefer to research before I actually post help. There are no bubbles and when I pick at it its slimy.

I love blennys as well..I had a tailspot and he vanished without a trace in a week. I found the lawnmower blenny on divers den so I grabbed him, it was my first time ordering any animal online.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Should be algae.. I could take a pic if you wanna see it. I usually prefer to research before I actually post help. There are no bubbles and when I pick at it its slimy.

I love blennys as well..I had a tailspot and he vanished without a trace in a week. I found the lawnmower blenny on divers den so I grabbed him, it was my first time ordering any animal online.

Blennies are awesome. I've had several throughout the years and they're always fun and full of personality. And something about their 'googly' eyes and expressions makes me laugh every time I look at them. Hope your lawnmower turns out well for you! 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
29 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Blennies are awesome. I've had several throughout the years and they're always fun and full of personality. And something about their 'googly' eyes and expressions makes me laugh every time I look at them. Hope your lawnmower turns out well for you! 

Thanks 😀 I hope so too. He seems to be a little less shy so will see what happens.

• Like 1

Thinking about removing my fish to treat them for flukes. I have treated them a lot in the DT but its not being very effective, firefish is the butt with them. I found out why I can't get rid of them, found an article about how prazipro is broken down by bacteria in the DT after multiple exposures. 

It's a long ass article but basically:  "in mature systems and systems that have experienced PZQ in the past, the rate of degradation may only increase, leading to non-detectable levels after as few as two days".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4824874/

Learn something new all the time, will have to be more careful with flukes in the future since my tanks go-to-method of prazi in my DT is no longer effective since I have used it many many times in my DT and with this rock in general over the years.

The flukes are not really life threatening but pretty annoying. At least there isn't any in my 22g that I can see. 

Also I thought my pom pom died but turned out to be a molt, the thing is.... he left a nem behind on the molt! That is why I thought it was a corpse. I put the little nem in a breeder box, maybe I can use a tweezers to give it back? Lol idk what to do. Maybe he still has one and will split his current one. 

Lost one of the cleaner shrimps like two days after adding them 😞 The survivor is doing great though. I had slow dripped them but happens I guess. Maybe his first molt didn't go so well. 

• Like 2

Wow Tamberav, I had never heard that about prazipro either.  I have only used it once in my display but I always keep it on hand since it is about the only med that can be used in a DT.  That is good info to know and thank you for sharing!

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing that bit about Prazi in the DT. I actually thought of dosing Prazi directly into my DT, should another episode of flukes break out again in the future. QTing stresses my animals out even though I try to give them as much cover as possible. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, vlangel said:

Wow Tamberav, I had never heard that about prazipro either.  I have only used it once in my display but I always keep it on hand since it is about the only med that can be used in a DT.  That is good info to know and thank you for sharing!

13 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Thanks for sharing that bit about Prazi in the DT. I actually thought of dosing Prazi directly into my DT, should another episode of flukes break out again in the future. QTing stresses my animals out even though I try to give them as much cover as possible. 

Np, I noticed the flukes would drop but quickly come back, my skimmer would recover quickly and the bubbles I usually get from prazi in the back chambers disappeared quick. Knew something was up!

Picked up some cheap clams from PEA. Pic had the blues on so its terrible! I can't get a good pic yet because if I turn on the whites they close up and hide. Super reactive atm, they should chill out in time. I never had small clams before so holding my breath that they make it, I just don't know. People don't have the best luck with them. The maximas are good size for small clams, I told them to send me the biggest of the baby clams they had. They are around 3 inches. The dersa maybe 1.5-2 inch though. The front one seems stressed but the other two look normal. *fingers crossed*

You can see the crab hanging out with his nems. 😛

2018-11-30_08-45-25

• Like 5
  • Wow 2

Nice clams! And that's really interesting about the Prazipro, I'd never heard that before.

PEA does a nice job. I ordered some corals from them when I first started reefing, and I know they always have good clams. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Just teasing btw - the clams look great! I've debated trying a clam in my 20G, but I also have douchebags for hermits which will probably step on it, so I decided to pass for the time being. :somber:

lol that photo is scary! My dragonettes used to sit on my 6 inch maxima all the time just chilling on the 'fluffy' bed. At first my clam would twitch and close a bit but eventually got used to them. 

Oldy but a goody photo... I miss my mandy tank! 

bones2_zps94de6a0f.jpg&key=4cfcb013b2fd4

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
14 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

lol that photo is scary! My dragonettes used to sit on my 6 inch maxima all the time just chilling on the 'fluffy' bed. At first my clam would twitch and close a bit but eventually got used to them. 

Oldy but a goody photo... I miss my mandy tank! 

bones2_zps94de6a0f.jpg&key=4cfcb013b2fd4

That shot is amazing! You should really do another mandy species-only tank with macro like before. :flower:

I thought of getting a small ruby dragonette for my current tank next year, but since I have a wrasse, I think the poor thing might starve. So no mandys for me. 😞 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Np, I noticed the flukes would drop but quickly come back, my skimmer would recover quickly and the bubbles I usually get from prazi in the back chambers disappeared quick. Knew something was up!

Picked up some cheap clams from PEA. Pic had the blues on so its terrible! I can't get a good pic yet because if I turn on the whites they close up and hide. Super reactive atm, they should chill out in time. I never had small clams before so holding my breath that they make it, I just don't know. People don't have the best luck with them. The maximas are good size for small clams, I told them to send me the biggest of the baby clams they had. They are around 3 inches. The dersa maybe 1.5-2 inch though. The front one seems stressed but the other two look normal. *fingers crossed*

You can see the crab hanging out with his nems. 😛

2018-11-30_08-45-25

Hope your clams will do well!

I start to worry if mine even retracts the mantle a little haha

Love the direction where your tank is going btw👍🏻

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Andreww said:

Hope your clams will do well!

I start to worry if mine even retracts the mantle a little haha

Love the direction where your tank is going btw👍🏻

thanks! I will worry until I see it growing well, then I will stop worrying lol

3 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Nice clams! And that's really interesting about the Prazipro, I'd never heard that before.

PEA does a nice job. I ordered some corals from them when I first started reefing, and I know they always have good clams. 

Thanks! I ordered corals from them back-in-the-day as well... when they had that cheap $10? frag section. Doesn't look like they have that anymore or I may have added some cheapies for fun. The red acan in this tank was one of their cheapo $10 frags that I have fragged a few times since. 

Their clams are fantastic but I think their guarantee is only for DOA. LA/DD has 14 days but their crap is dying left and right. PEA black friday price was fantastic though and even if 1 maxima died, I would still be doing alright. This hobby is just risky in general on the wallet lol *fingers crossed* 

It's weird, years ago you could only get the bigger clams from PEA 4.5-6 inch and now I see tons of small clams and ppl want the big ones. 😛

• Like 1

Smaller clams have smaller mantles for photosynthesis, so make sure your tank is fed well.  I got a 3" crocea and it did quite well.  I had a pretty high nutrient tank though.

I am thinking of getting a maxima clam in the future for the fish fortress.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Smaller clams have smaller mantles for photosynthesis, so make sure your tank is fed well.  I got a 3" crocea and it did quite well.  I had a pretty high nutrient tank though.

I am thinking of getting a maxima clam in the future for the fish fortress.

This tank gets fed pretty heavily I feel. I did add some reef chili and roids to my feeding today since the clams are there now.

The SPS tank has more par but less food so I went with this tank. I plan to increase lighting slowly as well as move them higher once they attach to the frag disc under them.

A Maxima would look fabulous in your tank 🙂

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Tamberav said:

This tank gets fed pretty heavily I feel. I did add some reef chili and roids to my feeding today since the clams are there now.

The SPS tank has more par but less food so I went with this tank. I plan to increase lighting slowly as well as move them higher once they attach to the frag disc under them.

A Maxima would look fabulous in your tank 🙂

It sounds like you have thought this all out and I think you have made good choices.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vlangel said:

It sounds like you have thought this all out and I think you have made good choices.

Appreciate the advice...I feel like you never know with clams. I am pretty anxious about them...prob will be will I see them with good growth.

My pictus blenny is obsessed with cleaning their shells and sitting on them but hasn't picked at the mantle at all. He makes me nervous lol

• Like 1

Pulled all the fish today to treat em for flukes while they are fat and healthy and can probably handle a little stress without too much issue, hopefully. Fed them heavily in the am and out they came around 3pm. Since they are out, I am going to do TTM because might as well eliminate any hidden ich since I have to go fallow anyways. Fed tonight and the pictus and tiny wrasse from the 10g both ate. The little wrasse ate like a pig and didn't hide at all. I think she has swapped tanks so many times now she just doesn't care at this point lol I think the anthias was eating in his hiding spot, saw him moving around in there. Bigger wrasse had went to bed early and not sure where the firefish is but he is the most skiddish so probably hunkered down somewhere. 

I put a rock back wrong and then liked it better that way so I re-scaped, had to remove corals from the rocks though which kind of sucked as some were encrusting. Did my 5g water change during the re-scape.

Clams look okay but they making me angry, they keep moving just slightly off the frag tile and trying to attach to the glass. Really don't want them sitting on the bottom forever, so I keep having to move the tile back under them.  I put a rock behind them hopefully to block them from scooting backwards off the tile again. I hate having to keep messing with them and releasing their 1 or 2 threads they keep sticking on the glass... flipping boogers.

Will continue to ghost feed while the fish are out. 

• Like 2

Fish seem to be doing fine in QT

Photo dump!

Only paid $8 for that LPS... its grown and turned out quiet pretty!

• Like 5

Someday my tanks will mature and look great (well maybe) and someone will ask me my secret and I will say....

Dirty cat paws!! That is the secret sauce! 😋

• Haha 2